PDA

View Full Version : Viral Infections..............??

flynverted
13th Aug 2010, 08:58
Went out of town last Friday for a weekend away & returned on Sunday evening. Back to work on Monday, by Tuesday I was getting the beginning of a sore throat, Wed. was worse so I reckoned I picked up an odd infection somewhere and went to see nurse Emma on Thursday to get some antibiotics. Nurse Emma gave me a quick look over and said antibiotics wouldn't do me any good as it was a viral infection, antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. She said treat the symptoms, not the infection (much the same as you would with a cold or the flu), ie painkillers and fluids.

Ok, tried codapane forte, brufin, codalgin, gargling with warm water and salt, and warm water with dissolved aspirin, also tried cough syrup and cough lozenges. Nothing has helped and the pain is worse than ever. Throat hurts like hell, and have earaches in both ears, and I can't eat or drink anything. Left work early today and tried gargling with scotch, but that isn't helping either. :{:{:ugh::ugh: Local hospital is now closed until 0900 Monday. I will gladly share my remaining scotch with anyone who has a pain relief cure that works!!

All suggestions (within reason) will be tried. :ok:

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 09:02
Ask your quack for some of that stuff they churned out for the swine flu epidemic,apparently they have about sixty million spare doses left over.:uhoh:

Parapunter
13th Aug 2010, 09:12
Down with one right now. I find owning a small child generally reduces the wellbeing interval to 30 day periods.:(

Senior Paper Monitor
13th Aug 2010, 09:19
Sounds like you have what I had - sorry to tell you this, but took two weeks for mine to clear up (and still on the Locketts)!

Nothing I found helps other than a double dose Lemsip each morning (with a secret schloosh of scotch) to clear the gunge from the throat, those anaesthetic throat sprays (20 quids worth over 2 weeks!) and a giant economy pack of Locketts.

Her indoors has it now - like a rattlesnake that's been shook up in a box it is - but at least the bollockings are at a low sound setting!

jcbmack
13th Aug 2010, 09:57
the right teas to treat the symptoms along with what you got.

Bruce Wayne
13th Aug 2010, 10:39
rest and jewish penecillin.

flynverted
13th Aug 2010, 11:24
SPM, hope mine clears up within 2 weeks:{

JCB, Righty-o, tea with scotch tomorrow morning :ok:

parabellum
13th Aug 2010, 12:45
Nurse maybe right regarding the overall ailment but the throat problem could well be a biotic problem, I get it often as a prelude to a serious cold/'flu etc. Anti-biotics clear the throat, for me, the rest just has to find it's own way out, over time.

Ali Qadoo
13th Aug 2010, 15:15
A rub down with a damp nurse followed by a pull-through with a frosty Christmas tree and you'll be right as ninepence.

merch
13th Aug 2010, 16:07
Try paracetamol and ibuprofen, thay can be taken together as they act differently on the body. Best to take one of them at first then the other 2 hours later and continue with staggered doses so the effect is continuous for helping to relieve the symptoms.

All the best etc

Merch

garp
13th Aug 2010, 16:43
Overdose on Vit C. I didn't believe it until I tried it out, in fact whenever I feel something coming up I will reach for the box of gradually dissolving capsules. Works like a charm.

Sallyann1234
13th Aug 2010, 16:55
Overdose on Vit C. I didn't believe it until I tried it out, in fact whenever I feel something coming up I will reach for the box of gradually dissolving capsules. Works like a charm.

Works for me too. At the first sign of a cold, take 6 x 1000mg tablets every 6 hours for a couple of days. End of.

rgbrock1
13th Aug 2010, 17:50
Overdosing on Vitamin C works for me as well.

I take 1000mg of Vitamin C each and every day. Whenever I feel something coming on I up that three-fold. Works for me. :ok::ok: