PDA

View Full Version : nanosphere complex....

girl with a stick
13th Aug 2010, 01:08
For my b'day recently, I received one of those "anti-ageing" creams one gets in abundance at A Certain Age. It claims to have a "nanosphere complex". Should I be worried, or delighted?

rh200
13th Aug 2010, 01:12
Neither, if it was any good it would be all over the news, sorry to be a downer but its most likely just another sales pitch.:(

Um... lifting...
13th Aug 2010, 01:23
Do nano-sized Buckminster Fullers live in the nanosphere complex? And hang out by the nano pool and meet in the nano community centre?

RJM
13th Aug 2010, 02:43
Be careful, GWAS. 'Anti-ageing' is an anagram for 'eating gain'.

On the other hand it could be an Ironic Present, in which case you should be well pleased.

criticalmass
13th Aug 2010, 06:18
It might be loaded with Buckminsterfullerene. Be careful! All those microscopic football-shaped micro-particles slathered across one's visage might lower the co-efficient of friction and your entire face might fall off your head! :eek:

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 07:27
There used to be strict rules concerning what the lying bastards could claim in telly advertizing, now anything seems to go, just invent some scientific sounding claim like 'contains combombulic acid protein complex and eight out of ten Beagles asked agreed it improved their fur tone, and they will flock to your door.
Well the ladies will bless em.:E
:uhoh:

OFSO
13th Aug 2010, 09:56
Use it by all means, but if one day you observe a recessed-hex-socket bolt made of gold, deep down in your belly-button, what ever you do, don't unscrew it.

anotherthing
13th Aug 2010, 10:02
Agree with Mr Draper...

The amount of bolleaux that advertiser come out with is unreal - and the beauty industry is the worst offender. All these 'new' compounds that they have discovered and all the bew words they invent.

It is quite telling if you look carefully at the text on the screen. Many claim to have carried out consumer tests, but invariably they are not worth shouting about... for example "67% of women who tried this agreed" then in the text (which tries to blend into the background) it says something along the lines of '127 people asked'.

Not exactly a scientific trial... one wonders if the '127' people are employees of the manufacturer...

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 10:02
OFSO

I was told that unscrewing it only produced deleterious effects if done outside in moonlight. Is this not so?

We ought to be told...

OFSO
13th Aug 2010, 10:05
Moonlight is essential, yes, but can also be done inside as long as a window is open.....

Gainesy
13th Aug 2010, 11:00
If you unscrew that, yer bum falls off.:uhoh:

RiskyRossco
13th Aug 2010, 11:45
That'll save the amount you'd need then.

Several billion beer tokens a year is spent on the "industry's" products. They'll make up anything to sell the stuff. And give women a massive guilt trip to do it.
A few bricks of C4 in their head office would improve matters

On a semi-related segue, does a neurotic architect with a fixation for fancy buildings have a complex complex complex?

:}

west lakes
13th Aug 2010, 11:52
Risky
That's too complex a question to be easily answered!

MagnusP
13th Aug 2010, 11:56
Is the sprawling HQ of a well-known search engine a googleplex?

Ancient Observer
13th Aug 2010, 11:56
Yup.
Simples

rgbrock1
13th Aug 2010, 12:56
Girl with a stick:

Your profile shows you as being 39 years old. If that is correct then I must question why, at such a young age, you would be worried about anti-aging anything. :ok:

Nanosphere complex? Is this where Apple Inc. stashes all those iPod Nanos which die? :}

MagnusP
13th Aug 2010, 14:14
rbg: I rather suspect that, when it comes to old Father Time, all women like to get their retaliation in first! :ok:

RiskyRossco
13th Aug 2010, 17:41
Grief, man! A gentleman always remembers her birthday and never her age.
:rolleyes:

11Fan
13th Aug 2010, 20:04
I have a fear of driving through commerical areas of the city where the factories are located.

After years of therapy, I was finally diagnosed as suffering from an Industrial Complex

girl with a stick
14th Aug 2010, 05:41
Perhaps it's because women of the age of thirty-five lack role models in how to grow old gracefully.

Let's face it, in Hollywood, there are two ages of women: Sex-bomb and Driving Miss Daisy.

TerminalTrotter
14th Aug 2010, 12:40
Dunno about women, but I seem to have progressed from regular exhortations to 'grow up' to being told 'you're not that old' without any intervening period of comfortable middle years.

TT

Juud
14th Aug 2010, 13:40
GWAS, on the unlikely chance that you actually would welcome a serious answer on a face cream in a forum populated mainly by chaps of a certain age ... ;)

As far as I have been able to make out, the nanospheres are merely an improved way of transporting a creamīs active ingredient.
And unlike what rh200 says in his post, there are a number of īactive ingredientsī that do in fact beneficially affect the skin.

For example hyaluronic acids, peptides, retinol/vitamin A => they work.
Scientifically proven, double blind reproducible research, and chemically explainable.

To actually be effective though, they do require stern discipline in application, large amounts of money spent on them, avoiding the sun at all costs, keeping a strict diet of healthy food, a minimum of alcohol consumption, no smoking and regular rest and sleeping.

In other words, with an enormous amount of self-discipline and enough money & time spent on the quest, any person can retain a youthful looking skin much longer than "normal" people.

Like most things in life, itīs a trade-off.
What is looking young worth to you personally in terms of effort,time and money?

I know two women who live according to the above recipe; both look fabulous and their skins bely their respective ages. Both feel that the effort is more than worth it.
I enviously admire their looks, but know that heir dedication to the cause is not for me. So I faff about with a bit of retinol here and some vitamin A there, throw on a peptide or two from a middle of the road brand, donīt use enough sun-screen, eat bad stuff, drink alcohol regularly etc etc etc.
Itīs a balance that is right for me, leaving me happy with both my lifestyle and my looks.

Nonospheres or not; itīs all about making the choices that leave YOU feeling happy and relaxed about the whole thing. :ok:

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 14:04
In a few decades they will be take to take a few cells from you clone em and grow yer a new face in a jar ready for transplant when the original is looking a bit ropey.:rolleyes:
"Do you know how old she is"?
"Not sure but she is on to her fifth face"
:E

Storminnorm
14th Aug 2010, 14:16
The Memsahib has got really beautiful skin, but there again so
did her Mother and Grandmother. It's all down to genetics I think.
You can slap all sorts of creams on, but it avails nothing without
the basic product being sound and healthy.

vulcanised
14th Aug 2010, 14:36
In fact very little of our skin is more than a few months old.

It is regularly replaced by the body, but the problem arises, some suggest, by the 'photocopier effect' in that each successive replacement layer is a little less a faithful reproduction of the original.

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 14:46
Dunno what the ladies are worried about anyway, twenty years from now they will all have to have their faces covered when out out in public.:rolleyes:

Juud
14th Aug 2010, 15:41
Norm, your second statement too would merit the "I think" addition.
You state your opinion as if it were a verifiable fact, which it is not.

It is clear that you have done no research what so ever into this matter ( and why should you?) so your opinion on the lack of effectiveness of certain chemicals in the process of slowing the visible agin of skin is just that.
An uninformed opinion.
Which is fine, the internet is full of them.
I trust you wonīt mind me pointing it out though?

There is a uniform, unifying genetic core that synchronizes most facets of aging ...

From Is aging genetic? (http://www.senescence.info/genetics.html)

Storminnorm
14th Aug 2010, 15:49
OK Juud, It's all down to genetics, I think.
That better? I don't mind it being pointed out.
Mind you, I'm STILL beautiful, even at MY advanced years.
Amazing after years of abuse by working outside most of the time.
But, there again, that's just MY opinion. I think?

alisoncc
16th Aug 2010, 06:14
Some time ago saw a doco on the box by a Professor Lesley Regan in which she tested a whole range of cosmetic miracle creams. The results were evaluated after a few months and the only one that had any noticeable effect was Boots Vitamin E Cream.

See:

BBC - Horizon - Prof Regan's Beauty Parlour (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/beautyparlour/)

smo-kin-hole
16th Aug 2010, 06:25
"Warning: Over-use of nanosphere product may cause user to grow Bucky-balls."

(insert sound of poster being struck by large stick)

Worrals in the wilds
16th Aug 2010, 06:47
To actually be effective though, they do require stern discipline in application, large amounts of money spent on them, avoiding the sun at all costs, keeping a strict diet of healthy food, a minimum of alcohol consumption, no smoking and regular rest and sleeping.

Wouldn't all that have the same beneficial effect with or without the cream? My understanding was that avoiding sun, smoking, alcohol and stress was still the prime recipe for good skin.

For example hyaluronic acids, peptides, retinol/vitamin A => they work.

Sure, but that's not what the manufacturers' agents tell you at the counter. Instead, they frequently bombard women with fancy billboards, airbrushed images of fourteen year old models, pseudo scientific sounding words and claims that appear to be promises but actually fail to say anything. These two strategies are endemic in cosmetics advertising to firstly create a level of insecurity and secondly make the products appear more useful than they are. That's not just my opinion, either, but shared by the authors of a number of marketing studies and books about the industry (by Paula Begoun, among others). You are no doubt familiar with the term 'claim substantiation'.

If each and every 'anti ageing' miracle cream actually contained a useful ingredient such as the ones you list I would have no problem with them, but quite a number of them still contain little more than glycerin, water, fragrance and empty promises.

GWAS, a quick google search revealed an experimental electronic musician called Nanosphere Complex, so maybe you'll be surprised when you open the lid ;).

Alternatively, just throw it at whoever thought you needed it. :}

Firestorm
16th Aug 2010, 07:02
I know Juud, and one of the friends of whom she writes. They both look fabulous, and are lovely people and both have quite different strategies for maintaining their looks. They are both great company on the occasions that we get together, but the main difference is that we get to spend lots more time with Juud as she spends less time in front of the make up mirror each morning!

If the cream has a complex does it need counselling?

Parapunter
16th Aug 2010, 07:10
Having worked for one of the biggest health & beauty manufacturers in the world, I know that the marketing side of things, as with so much of marketing in general, is utter testicles. In my opinion of course.

It is highly patronising to women to present some flawless teenage model with naturally lovely skin, flash up some meaningless - to all but the most rariefied of bio chemists-words such as hydro ceramide cyano molecular frangible fission complex and from there, heavily imply that trowelling on said chemical stew will confer the same beauty to a chain smoking 45 year old mother of four with a paper round & a camping fetish.

All you really need to know is on the back of nearly all H&B products, where the ingrediants listed from greatest to least practically always start with the word Aqua.

Yep, the beauty companies know that the customers may well baulk at handing over Ģ26.99 fof the sweat from their brows or a pot of water with a few oils bunged in for good measure.

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 11:38
It can't be any good if it costs only Ģ26.99!:ooh:

Then again...I understand that pregnant mares' hormones do wonder for the skin too...not to mention holistic, emotional well-being benefits.:}

I'll give you my feedback soon.:E

tony draper
16th Aug 2010, 12:12
Only thing that would help my skin is reincarnation.:(

RJM
16th Aug 2010, 12:17
Only thing that would help my skin is reincarnation.

Depends what you came back as, Mr D. Crocodile? Cane toad? Persian cat??

muppetbum
16th Aug 2010, 12:34
The best adverts are ones where the science is technically correct but totally meaningless.

I remember a hair dye claiming " light reflecting" colour technology.

:)

Any one else remember the Ben Elton sketch about " head bob" syndrome caused by hair shampoos ?

vulcanised
16th Aug 2010, 14:33
Only thing that would help my skin is reincarnation

Come back as John Wayne - reintarnation.

Pugilistic Animus
16th Aug 2010, 14:55
Shoot I may just try the cream---why not:}

Storminnorm
16th Aug 2010, 15:01
Get Off your horse and put on your cream.

Lonewolf_50
16th Aug 2010, 15:26
In a few decades they will be take to take a few cells from you clone em and grow yer a new face in a jar ready for transplant when the original is looking a bit ropey.:rolleyes:
They could market that face in a jar as Rigby's Face Solution. ;)

"Do you know how old she is"?
"Not sure but she is on to her fifth face"

You refer to either Joan Rivers or Dolly Parton, yes? :confused:

Pugilistic Animus
16th Aug 2010, 15:30
I manufacture a product for the face :E

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2010, 16:24
Tut PA, everyone was playing nicely till then.

Go and sit on the naughty step :=

OFSO
16th Aug 2010, 17:29
Dolly Parton: "It costs a lot of money to look as cheap as this".

DOLLY PARTON IS MAGNIFICENT IN EVERY WAY AND EVERY CATEGORY !

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 17:34
:hmm:

I think all you gobby guys could benefit from any cream that's going!:E
Vat fulls, in fact!;):p:eek: Y'all suck!:E:p;):ooh:

Who said looks don't count?:p

How very dare I!!!!:ouch::E:O:eek:;)

tony draper
16th Aug 2010, 17:59
Any chap in my gang found using face cream would be subject to a sound thrashing and drummed out.we dont hold with that sort of thing even if tiz legal now.
:rolleyes:

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 18:01
Looky...there's more to life than salty type liquid being spurted on your face, tonydraper!:}:E

rgbrock1
16th Aug 2010, 18:16
You think that's bad Tony D, here's one for you.

The Mrs. recently went to her manicurist to have her nails attended to. As she was sitting in the chair being attended to in walks a guy. The Mrs. assumed that the guy who walked in was going to pick up his significant other half.

Uh-uh. The "guy" in question was there to have his chest and back waxed. (Hair removal.) Makes it nice and smooth and squeaky to the touch. :yuk:

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 18:18
What about his 'sack and crack'?:}

Mmm....smooth and silky to the touch!:eek:

You are certainly behind, rg!:ooh:

rgbrock1
16th Aug 2010, 18:20
I'm behind? I hope that was a pun? Because, if not, I"m quite happy with my rather hairy chest and back. And so is the Mrs. And couldn't envision having either waxed.
No thanks. If that makes me "behind the times" then I guess I'm ancient!!!

Is sack and crack similar to shake and bake? :}

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 18:23
A laydee never discloses such things, rg!:p I feel sure a few have been flamed in my time.:eek:

Pugilistic Animus
16th Aug 2010, 18:24
YouTube - Right Said Fred - I`m Too Sexy (The Original) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk)

:}:}:}

Parapunter
16th Aug 2010, 18:27
I'm behind? I hope that was a pun? Because, if not, I"m quite happy with my rather hairy chest and back. And so is the Mrs

Your missus has a hairy chest & back?

rgbrock1
16th Aug 2010, 18:31
Parapunter:

What's wrong with a lady with a hairy chest and hairy back? Huh? (Hairy arms and legs too.) :ok:

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 18:33
Oh, and don't forget the old chestnut...just because you've got hair round your mouth...!:O

rgbrock1
16th Aug 2010, 18:35
It's official: this thread has now stooped to new, and heretofore unheard of, lower levels. :}:eek:

bearfoil
16th Aug 2010, 18:43
11Fan

Just be thankful you don't have a co-morbid Industrial complex complex.

rgbrock1
16th Aug 2010, 18:45
Very nice bearfoil, very nice. Is that all you're going to write about on this thread?

No comments about waxed chests, backs and women with hairy chests, backs, armpits, legs and arms? No comments about crack and sack or shake and bake?

What's wrong with you lad? :}:}

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 19:07
rg...not for the old and wrinklies this thread, eh?:p

Actually...I am friends with the sister to one of the Hairy Bikers. The Geordie one.

Yeah....really!:ok:

This might be lost on you, rg.:eek:

RiskyRossco
16th Aug 2010, 20:04
To play devil's advocate, there was a short time I dabbled in face scrub and toner.
One of the fair gender co-flatted for a short time. On moving she left scrub/cleanser/toner behind, a tongue-in-cheek 'you can have this'.
With an adventurism not far short of Dr. Livingstone I embarked on the experiment.

Quite the illuminating experience, too. Felt like me face had received a complete service and lube. Looking at the prohibitive (at the time) cost of replacement I didn't continue but it gave me an insight into the whole world of enhancement lures.
One upside, them wimminfolk who'd not normally be bothered talking hitherto were intrigued by the condition of me fizzog. Alas and alack, I'm not one to sacrifice spondoolicks at the altar of popularity.

bearfoil
16th Aug 2010, 20:12
rgbrock1

As a competitive swimmer back at the uny, we shaved our bods. The first time, I was impressed with the amount of blood going down the shower drain. Hat tip to the ladies. Never waxed. My times dropped an amazing amount, either less drag, or some other. I have noticed in the last few years some very smooth skin on young ladies in an area normally linked to..... Can't make up my mind, it seems I much prefer the furmat I encounter at the time.

bear

B Fraser
17th Aug 2010, 07:28
Getting back to the original point, why do the purveyors of skin products to the gullible phrase things in French with their "laborotoires" in Paris ? Has anyone here seen an industrial estate on the outskirts of Paris ?

"Eh Pierre, nous avons a tanker full of slurry from ze local abbatoire, que'st que shall we do wiz eet ?"

"Throw eet dans ze mix Jaques, eet 'as bits of skin so we can include collagen 17 alpha one on ze label."

"Qu'est que collagen 17 alpha one Pierre ?"

"Ah don't know mon brave, Je pense it helps ze cow pucker ze bumhole"

"Vouz etez un genius, vite ! 'ere comes ze camera crew, throw away your cigarette and put on zis white coat and hold ze clipboard"

Anyhow, back to the plot. Never trust a chap who applies anything to his face other than soap and steel :suspect:

radeng
17th Aug 2010, 07:34
B Fraser,

You've been to Gennevilliers, too! And Villejuif......

B Fraser
17th Aug 2010, 07:42
If those are close to the Stadt De France stadium then yes. I do like the French (being a Scot, we have a shared history to an extent) and their ability to market snake oil is fantastic. Well done to them.

Edited to add that if you want your face tightening, I recommend a 5G trip over Greenham Common, the grin will make your face ache and has lasted for three days so far.... :ok: