PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which is scarier?

rgbrock1
12th Aug 2010, 17:10
Over on the US Politics Hamster Wheel thread chuks and I have been discussing nuns. As in the Roman Catholic variety. Therefore,
I've decided to start a little poll. And the poll is: which is scarier, the drill instructor/sergeant or the nun?

Drill Sergeant:

http://www.worldsstrangest.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/wscache23/ff8be_090922_Exp_FMJ.jpg

Nun:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/bootsnana/Nuns/Nun.jpg

lomapaseo
12th Aug 2010, 17:15
Depends, which one do you dream about the most?

the one with the baton or the one with the cruci..... wait a minute don't they both carry batons ?

Hobo
12th Aug 2010, 17:19
None of the above.

Gainesy
12th Aug 2010, 17:26
Juud:uhoh:.

Ancient Observer
12th Aug 2010, 18:23
Rainboe

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

bearfoil
12th Aug 2010, 18:24
Gunny can't administer "corporal" punishment, or it's the brig.

merlinxx
12th Aug 2010, 18:25
Just you wait, get yer flack jacket out now:E

Out Of Trim
12th Aug 2010, 19:22
Easy

The Nun is much scarier than a US Drill Sergeant! :E

cavortingcheetah
12th Aug 2010, 19:42
The nun because who never quite know where she's been.

tony draper
12th Aug 2010, 19:44
If you think they are scarey you obviously never met a old style Hospital Matron. :uhoh:
Couple of pals of mine installed a burglar alarm in a Nunnery,they were never offered so much as a cup of tea all day,so before they left when the Nuns were doing the business praying and such they went round and left all the toilet seats up.
:rolleyes:

11Fan
12th Aug 2010, 20:20
Drill Sergeants you can predict. They are gonna be on your butt like a trailer hitch.

Nuns you can't predict, and they have some nasty habits.

Lonewolf_50
12th Aug 2010, 20:37
Drill Sergeants you can predict. They are gonna be on your butt like a trailer hitch.

Nuns you can't predict, and they have some nasty habits.
Technical correction: it's Drill Instructor (DI) for the Marines, Drill Sergeant for the Army. The gentleman depicted has the Eagle/Globe/Anchor on his hat, so he's a Drill Instructor. :cool:

And your nun pun made me groan ... :ok:

tony draper
12th Aug 2010, 21:26
I thought those blokes were called Gunnery Sergeants?or is that just in Hollywood?
:)

Lon More
12th Aug 2010, 21:34
they went round and left all the toilet seats up

Q1P4DAQM6F0

Edited to add - couldn't embed it

Lon, see the RoE on how to embed.
f40

Thanks flaps. I got a blank screen; I think it's a problem with my PC though.

Keef
12th Aug 2010, 22:10
Not frightened of either. Must be my age.

flash8
12th Aug 2010, 22:20
Now this is SCARY!

Apologies to our non UK friends :)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/23/article-1164233-040EDCD8000005DC-262_468x370.jpg

Matron.

Tankertrashnav
12th Aug 2010, 22:22
Was terrified of Sister Julie Marie, headmistress of my primary school. She was about 5' in all directions and carried a leather belt in the folds of her habit - she didnt have to use it much, we all quaked in her presence.

Then moved on to a Jesuit prep school age age 9 and life really started to get tough! Band Aide has it about right.

US Marines NCOs? Bunch of cissies by comparison!

11Fan
12th Aug 2010, 22:29
Technical correction: it's Drill Instructor (DI) for the Marines, Drill Sergeant for the Army.

Lonewolf,

Agreed, but I was going by my personal experience as opposed to the picture.

Former US Army Ground Pounder and part time Tanker.

Lonewolf_50
12th Aug 2010, 22:31
Tony: Gunnery Sergeant (Gunny) is a rank (E-7), Drill Instructor is a position. To illustrate how this works in other ways ... in our Navy, we have Commanders and Lieutenant Commanders who are called "Captain" when they are the commanding officer of a ship. See also Leftenant William Bligh referred to as Captain Bligh when captain of HMS Bounty. Captain is also a rank, higher than either.

More to the point, you can have a DI who is an E-6, and you can also have a DI who is a Gunny.

Lonewolf_50
12th Aug 2010, 22:37
For 11Fan, an 11A or 11B (with occasional tracks)? :confused:

11Fan
12th Aug 2010, 22:47
I'm not even sure what an 11Alpha is. I'll have to look that up. I was 11Bravo (Infantryman) in an Armored Unit. The primary MOS of most of the guys was 11Delta (Scouts as I recall). I spent half of my time in Sheridan Tank (M551) when we were short of tankers. I seem to recall having a secondary MOS of 11Delta but I'd have to find my DD-214 to make sure. It was a loooooooooog time ago.

EDIT: Looks likes Scouts are 19 Delta, or they are now anyway. Back in 73-76 we had 11B (Infantry), 11C (Mortars) and 11D (Scouts). That's what I remember at least. That said, we're talking 35 years since I left. Add salt to taste.

EDIT 2: Couldn't find an 11Alpha.

rgbrock1 will be back in the morning. He's better at this stuff than I am. I have trouble remembering most of the 70's as it is, let alone details.

obgraham
12th Aug 2010, 23:38
Actually the nun whose picture you posted in the original posting is Mother Angelica, founder of the EWTN, Catholic TV channel in the US. Not a very scary person, though she has come upon ill health in recent years.

Likewise, the DI pictured, R. Lee Ermey, used to be a DI, but is now a Hollywood actor. And a very good one, imho.

Neither is as scary as that testy Israeli guy who just got arrested for slicing a dozen or so folks in the neck.

rgbrock1
13th Aug 2010, 13:51
11Fan and Lonewolf:

11Fan certainly remembers his 11-series MOS classifications most accurately. And, yes, 19D is indeed a scout.

11A is an Infantry officer. (Just as a 13A is an artillery officer and a 12A is an Armor officer)

Lonewolf_50
13th Aug 2010, 15:07
An Arab Israeli
Also described as "Palestinian Christian" but I'll let his knife work speak for itself.

For 11Fan: what I looked up showed me 11C as an infantry indirect fire MOS. (I guessed Mortars ...) 11A was listed as Infantry Officer, per rgbrock's explanation.

Anyway, senior NCO's can be intimidating. :cool:

rgbrock1
13th Aug 2010, 15:16
Lonewolf:

Correct: 11C are indeed the mortar-donning grunts.

jimtherev
13th Aug 2010, 17:32
When young and callow and waiting for a security clearance to come through I did a term's teaching in a convent school. About the same time, I acquired a father-in-law who had been a Gunnery Instructor on Whale Island (Allegedly the toughest b**gers in the Royal Navy.) I would give the nuns the edge in the scary stakes... just. Hooever, I had a bit of fun on the day I left the school. Summoned to Revd Mother's office.

"Mr Jim, I gather that you're getting married next week. Well here's a book I've confiscated from Sean. You might find it useful." (I did.)
"Thank you Revd Mother. Someone told me the other day the answer to something I've always puzzled about - why nuns always go round in pairs"
"...?..."
"It's so that one nun can make sure the other nun don't get nun."

She obviously hadn't heard it, and two hours later I heard her repeating it to the school secretary - who was very holy and didn't laugh.

Radar66
13th Aug 2010, 19:05
No Question! The Nun wins hands down! :ooh:

http://bb.wynnear.com/pics/Penguin.jpeg

I'm a poor innocent C of E that spent a short time at a terrifying RC Convent school aged about 9...
However, I did manage to execute my revenge by setting one of them on fire just before I finally got 'asked to leave'. :ok:

Actually, I think it was the following shove into the nearby fish pond that was the clincher... :E
And that is how I know that nuns have crew cuts under their wimples.

rgbrock1
13th Aug 2010, 19:12
Radar66:

You set a nun on fire? Oh my! :eek::eek:

At least you had the forethought to toss her into the pond to stifle the flames! :ok:

First we had the Flying Nun on TV over here in the 70's.

Over yonder I guess you had the Flaming Nun, eh? :}

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 20:29
Wonder what happened to that Nun we used to have one the telly who was a Art expert? one liked listening to her,sister summat or other they used to call her,ere well they would wouldn't they :)

Radar66
13th Aug 2010, 21:25
yes, yes, yes, I'm sure that there must be good nuns - Mother Theresa et al - but yin and yang and all that you know? I guess that I was just unlucky and ended up on the tail end of the birch!!! :uhoh:

Would that be Sister Beckett Mr Draper sire?

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 21:33
Cant remember her name Madam Radar,only Becket I know of associated wi the church of Rome got himself scragged in Westminster Abbey.:uhoh:

obgraham
13th Aug 2010, 21:47
Oh, come on, Drapes, let's be a little more historical than that! Even a knuckle-dragging Yank (admittedly from Preston!) knows 'tweren't there!

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 22:06
Opps sorry,Canterbury of course it were the local branch of the Church of Rome.
:\

Tankertrashnav
13th Aug 2010, 22:20
You're thinking of Sister Wendy, Drapes

YouTube - Sister Wendy in Conversation part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pJsyXM0uVI)

Cue predictable remarks from the cousins about Brits and their teeth, but they are a pretty spectacular set of gnashers!

Radz was that a Freudian slip? - she does resemble Margaret Beckett, particularly in the incisor area!

Google Image Result for http://www.pfavipsecurity.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/margaret_becket.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pfavipsecurity.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/margaret_becket.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pfavipsecurity.co.uk/archives/145&usg=__VaVtTEXBXRazmc2K8BGrY0jM71Y=&h=256&w=250&sz=9&hl=en&start=6&itbs=1&tbnid=1TdwYTzD8RtpjM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmargaret%2Bbeckett%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2 %26tbs%3Disch:1)

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 22:24
Yup, Sister Wendy it was indeed,a very erudite lady.
Re the above, Westminster Abbey is a establishment for us none left footers who had not yet been invented then.
PS, We dont have Nuns,

Radar66
13th Aug 2010, 22:38
errr... No Tanker! :)

Sister Wendy Beckett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Beckett)

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 00:05
Hmmm, well she could have been a decendant,I mean even Archbishops put it about a bit in those days.
:uhoh:

critter592
14th Aug 2010, 01:28
I think I'd be more scared around a Catholic priest... :}

The D.I. got my vote.

Tankertrashnav
14th Aug 2010, 09:49
OIC Radz, you tend not to think of nuns having family names.

Those teeth must be in the Beckett genes then!

lomapaseo
14th Aug 2010, 14:43
While we are diverting into names

What were the more memorable names that you gave to nuns that taught you

one that comes to mind was

Sister Amniesia

Cardinal Puff
14th Aug 2010, 17:31
Scary?

Pete McA, the scariest and ugliest human being on the planet.:eek:

Sorry Sarn't Major. I panicked.:ooh:

Keef
14th Aug 2010, 19:46
PS, We dont have Nuns,

C of E does, albeit very few I grant you.

Looked after us reet well when we went for a weekend retreat at the convent, they did.

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 20:27
Good grief! one did not know that Mr Keef,one hopes it were the other lots Nuns that toilet seat waggery was played upon.

Cardinal Puff
14th Aug 2010, 20:47
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iHCwZ7YdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Tankertrashnav
14th Aug 2010, 23:17
one hopes it were the other lots Nuns that toilet seat waggery was played upon.

The other lot, Mr D? That would be my lot then! Any more disrespect like this and I'll arrange a visit from Herr Ratzinger when he comes next month. Now he is scary!

Sirikit
14th Aug 2010, 23:24
I feel sure they'll be in-nun-dated (hardehar) with more cloistered wagging than preaching.

Oh, Lordy me!

Bless you and my soul!

:E

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 23:34
He cant touch me Mr Tank, I paid good money for a indulgence.:E

Sirikit
14th Aug 2010, 23:39
So, tonydraper, does that mean you kissed His Holy Papal ring then, hmm?

tony draper
14th Aug 2010, 23:51
Good grief no,one could buy em at any local branch.
That's one of the reason our lot came into being.:E

Sirikit
14th Aug 2010, 23:56
Let me hear an Amen to that, folks!:O

Bet you can buy a mezuzah at your local branch though, hmm!:ok:

Keef
15th Aug 2010, 01:12
I've got a mezuzah here somewhere...

Gordy
15th Aug 2010, 04:05
I'm going with the nuns..:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/posse.jpg

Storminnorm
15th Aug 2010, 12:26
Nun with a gun? Or Pope on a rope?

lasernigel
15th Aug 2010, 12:45
Drill sergeant for me( tho actually a Staff Sergeant)... he was a barstward and would crack you on he top of you head with his pace stick. "You fecking donkey" was his favourite saying.

Nuns were OK twas the choirmaster who got to me first.:{:ouch:

tony draper
15th Aug 2010, 13:05
Begining to feel one has led a deprived life dont think one has ever met a Nun or indeed a Sergeant,did meet a Bishop once, well one was sitting in a hole in the pavement doing a cable joint looked up to see a pair of gaiters standing at the edge of the pit,looked further up to see they blonged to a a full blown Bishop in his dress uniform gazing down upon me,it was the look in his eyes that said it all,a yearning look that said, I wish I had a proper job like you down there.
:)

Gainesy
15th Aug 2010, 13:45
Tch, bishops, dry joints everywhere, best they stick to holying stuff.:rolleyes:

Sirikit
15th Aug 2010, 13:48
Begining to feel one has led a deprived life dont think one has ever met a Nun or indeed a Sergeant...

What's a bet you've met 16 vestal virgins though, tonydraper!:E

I've got a mezuzah here somewhere...

Keef...Try looking on the doorpost? ;) Not to be confused with one's vuvuzela!:p

Keef
15th Aug 2010, 14:12
No, we didn't screw it to the doorpost, any more than I wear a phylactery to morning prayer :)

There's all kinds of theological detritus filling the shelves in my study!

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2010, 15:13
Who says the internet is making us dumber? I've learned two new words today, mezuzah and phylactery :ok:

Whether I'll remember them tomorrow, though...:(

Sirikit
16th Aug 2010, 18:40
I look forward to seeing you wearing the latter, Tanker!:}

Once upon a time I enjoyed the experience of German Domincian Nuns and a Mother Superior. I still to this day cannot fathom out whether it was the German bit or the Nun bit which was the problem.

It is best not to go to a Catholic convent school if you're not Catholic. That was the learning they gave me.:p

Who can top Sister Siegfried?

hellsbrink
17th Aug 2010, 11:11
There's no question about wht is scarier, anything that dresses up like a cross between Darth Vader and Zorro just ain't natural...........

tony draper
17th Aug 2010, 14:18
Hmmm, interesting Mr H,perhaps it explains our loathing for those Dewsbury Daleks.

CATIII-NDB
17th Aug 2010, 14:56
I take it that they are the Sisters of ballistic indulgence. OK hazarding a guss are they North Americian ? - Yep, with the forhcomming visit by his holiness I suppose they will form the protective possy.( They could be Anglicians)

Pope Ratzenger has a reputation for being a theological hard liner, rock hard ! literally. Anyone who knows the history of the Catholic church (as given), will know the metaphorical meaning of "Rock".as in a very unmovable doctrine.

Therein lies a fundamental weakness in the doctrine of many established religions - Its a given, Its a law, its not for negotiation - Full Stop.

Personally I'm with the enlightenment - Yes its a hard cold (and complex) universe out there - the miracle is that we are self aware

CAT III - A reluctant Humanist. (Baptized by the way.)

Gainesy
17th Aug 2010, 17:15
Who can top Sister Siegfried?

Well, the present Pope has a pretty exclusive CV, I doubt many Popes (Popeii?) started out as a Flak gunner.

Lon More
17th Aug 2010, 19:29
a full blown Bishop in his dress uniform gazing down upon me

Probably wondering if his transgretions were about to catch up on him and he was staring at one of the hounds of hell? :{

The security around Herr Ratzinger's visit is to cost at least 12 million squid IIRC. Couldn't he have found a few of his old army mates to help out?

rgbrock1
17th Aug 2010, 19:32
Does that mean Herr Ratzinger is going to show up on these shores with a company of
Stormtroopers in tow? And Uzi-toting Nuns as well? Should be a sight!!!

hellsbrink
17th Aug 2010, 20:10
Ain't that a scene in a Mel Brooks movie, rgb?

Sirikit
17th Aug 2010, 20:12
Popeii?

Popettes!:E:O

rgbrock1
17th Aug 2010, 20:20
Dunno Hellsbrink: I've never watched any Mel Brooks movies.

Oh. I take that back. I watched one. Forgot the name of it but it had a certain
Frau Bluecher in it and whenever her name was mentioned I believe a horse
started neighing.

pulse1
17th Aug 2010, 20:21
a full blown Bishop in his dress uniform gazing down upon me

I'm supposed to be taking a Bishop flying over his patch next month so he'll be looking down on someone. Won't be in his dress uniform though, I hope.
He'll have a job wearing his hat at least.

Cardinal Puff
17th Aug 2010, 21:31
Young Fronkenshtein Mr Brock...

Sirikit
17th Aug 2010, 21:47
Oh, looky....enter the Cardinal....!:}

Bless you!:E

Cardinal Puff
17th Aug 2010, 22:10
Nurries, my son....:ok:

Sirikit
17th Aug 2010, 22:39