PDA

View Full Version : SAM missiles & other tautological phrases

strikemaster82
12th Aug 2010, 14:47
SAM missile = Surface to Air Missile missile
PIN number = Personal Identification Number number
ATM machine = Automated Telling Machine machine

For your FYI, :} those are my pet hates, any more out there?

CathayBrat
12th Aug 2010, 14:56
AIB Bank = Allied Irish Bank Bank

dubh12000
12th Aug 2010, 14:56
I could tell you my PI number......

UniFoxOs
12th Aug 2010, 14:59
Doesn't really bother me, but:-

RAM memory
HIV Virus
are a couple of common ones that come to mind.

Always amusing, though, is

River (Avon, Afon, Arfon, Ouse, etc) all words that mean "river" in their original language.

Cheers
UFO

tony draper
12th Aug 2010, 15:03
STD
It used to be summat to do with telephones,now it means the pox, or the French Disease to give it its correct name.:)

Gainesy
12th Aug 2010, 15:19
Subscriber Trunk Dialling Tony. And it was poxy, ended the ability to tap out local numbers for us urchins.

SAM, cousin of the RPG grenade.

Carry0nLuggage
12th Aug 2010, 15:22
CD disc

Plug socket. (What's that in your hand then, a socket plug???)

Um... lifting...
12th Aug 2010, 15:23
POB on board. Oops... aviation content.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2010, 15:26
River (Avon, Afon, Arfon, Ouse, etc) all words that mean "river" in their original language.
In St Albans there is a River Ver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Ver) . . .
The Roman settlement was called Verulamium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verulamium).

gruntie
12th Aug 2010, 15:27
RPMs = Revolutions per Minutes

The late XV105
12th Aug 2010, 15:54
Shock absorber (motoring) when actually it is a DAMPER for Chrissakes. The shock absorber is the bloody spring! :ugh:

(Not tautological, just damned annoying and the thread reminded me so I had to vent!)

G&T ice n slice
12th Aug 2010, 15:55
The lake district....

Lake Winderemere, Lake Derwentwater, Lake.....

There's only 1 lake in the Lake district.

Tankertrashnav
12th Aug 2010, 16:03
Bassenthwaite Lake? If so I claim my T-shirt!

Also not quite tautological but similar, what about "full military honours"? Anyone ever been buried with some military honours?

kharmael
12th Aug 2010, 16:05
LCD Display

chuks
12th Aug 2010, 16:07
"At this moment in time..."

Okay, so where else do you find your "moments" then, other than in time? It is either "at this moment" or else "at this time" and when you hear "at this moment in time" then you can be fairly sure the next bit will be, "I want to make this perfectly clear," some politician raising the usual cloud of heifer dust.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2010, 16:07
moment in time . . .

G&T ice n slice
12th Aug 2010, 16:14
Bassenthwaite - Correct!

However, some locals insist that its correct name is Bassenwater or Broadwater and it got somehow renamed after a nearby village when the Victorians started coming up here.

Firestorm
12th Aug 2010, 16:36
GPS System.

green granite
12th Aug 2010, 16:46
PIM manager

under_exposed
12th Aug 2010, 16:49
And then there is the complete opposite. You don't often people say MoT test.

RJM
12th Aug 2010, 16:50
Close proximity.

Firestorm
12th Aug 2010, 16:52
Far distance.

Gainesy
12th Aug 2010, 16:57
Yesterday, BBC, Heat-seeking radar.

"Out of", as in "We're out of Gatwick".:yuk:

OK mate I'll go buy you another jar of Gatwick.

SLFguy
12th Aug 2010, 17:00
Double Scotch :ugh:

Carbon Bootprint
12th Aug 2010, 17:10
SAM missile = Surface to Air Missile missile
PIN number = Personal Identification Number number
You seem to have stumbled on the RAS Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_syndrome)here. :}

Just a spotter
12th Aug 2010, 17:12
NIC Card (computing one), Network Interface Card Card

While I'm on one ...

[Pedant Rant On]
The thing you use to connect your PC/Mac to the internet via broadband isn't a Modem (Modulate/Demodulate), which converts between analogue and digital signals (which was needed over old single use telephone lines). The internet connection over broadband is all digital. The telephone line is divided into two channels (hence the filters that are added and the use of the term broadband, meaning the physical line carries more than one concurrent signal, versus a line with a single signal being baseband). The device you use is, a bridging router (aka brouter)... bridging because it links two (or more) networks of differing topology and router as it controls and "routes" traffic from one network to the other.

[Pedant Rant Off]

radeng
12th Aug 2010, 17:16
DC voltage. AC Voltage. AC current. DC current. IF frequency. PCB board. RF frequency. VHF frequency and HF frequency.

Jimmy Macintosh
12th Aug 2010, 17:55
Is no one else amazed that both G-CPTN and chuks choose moment in time at the same time?

It made me forget what I was going to say :(

under_exposed
12th Aug 2010, 17:56
just a spotter, you may wish to read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem)

vulcanised
12th Aug 2010, 17:59
LED display

LCD display

ThreadBaron
12th Aug 2010, 18:00
PAT test - Portable Appliance Test test.

wings folded
12th Aug 2010, 18:06
DC voltage. AC Voltage. AC current. DC current. IF frequency. PCB board. RF frequency. VHF frequency and HF frequency.

Can't see nowt wrong with DC voltage and AC voltage.

When doing a spot of leccy stuff one likes to know the voltage concerned and whether it wobbles or keeps to a straight line.

Neptunus Rex
12th Aug 2010, 18:17
"This is your Captain speaking." Of course he is.

tony draper
12th Aug 2010, 18:24
In theatrical circles AC and DC mean summat totaly different.:rolleyes:

wings folded
12th Aug 2010, 18:36
Not just in the theatre, Mr Drapes, not just theatre

txdmy1
12th Aug 2010, 18:38
Read the F****** manual

Capetonian
12th Aug 2010, 18:38
Free Gift
Very Unique

sitigeltfel
12th Aug 2010, 18:47
Self Loading Rifle

No matter how long you stare at the thing, the magazine will not jump into the slot unassisted.

wings folded
12th Aug 2010, 18:48
100% free.

Do you want any duty frees at all? (No, I want some partially duty frees, thank you, my good lady)

Firestorm
12th Aug 2010, 18:54
Does Gatwick come in jars Gainsey? I thought it came in packets!

tony draper
12th Aug 2010, 18:58
Any Englishman or woman who uses 'LOL' or calls anyone 'Dude' in posts should have the blunt end of a ragmans trumpet inserted into the nether regions of their person.:suspect:
The Cousins dont know any better.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2010, 19:04
Is no one else amazed that both G-CPTN and chuks choose moment in time at the same time?
I was quite discomknockerated . . .
for a moment . . .

Out Of Trim
12th Aug 2010, 19:19
Self Loading Rifle

No matter how long you stare at the thing, the magazine will not jump into the slot unassisted.

No, but it will "load another round into the chamber" by virtue of the gas expelled from the first round fired and so on until the magazine is empty, unless you get a gas stoppage!

unstable load
12th Aug 2010, 19:29
Surely that makes it a "self reloading rifle" then?

The operator needs to initially load it before it self reloads itself by itself automaticallily.

Or something like that, anyway......:8

12th Aug 2010, 23:04
Revert back

spInY nORmAn
12th Aug 2010, 23:12
Letters that start with "I am writing to you..." Duh!

criticalmass
13th Aug 2010, 07:22
"Knots per hour"

(I really hate that!) :ugh:

chuks
13th Aug 2010, 07:37
I happen to like addressing people in posts as "Dude" so long as several conditions are met:

1. They must be English.

2. They must be slightly pompous.

Or is this just another tautology?

BlueWolf
13th Aug 2010, 07:47
From the News just recently:

"Armed gunman...." - well he's hardly going to be an unarmed gunman, is he? :confused:

Also, "surface flooding" .....what other kind is there? If it's not on the surface, it isn't a flood, surely?

....and the Official Cash Rate set by the Reserve Bank becomes the OCR rate once the media gets hold of it.

27mm
13th Aug 2010, 08:10
Excuse me, but shouldn't it be "tortology"?

MagnusP
13th Aug 2010, 09:25
'Ang about! Woss wrong with Light Emitting Diode Display? :confused:

Cunning_Stunt
13th Aug 2010, 09:50
VCR Recorder

Chesty Morgan
13th Aug 2010, 10:18
Redo it again.

I can't because I haven't redone it once yet.

You will shortly be able to disembark the aircraft.

No you wont! Not unless you're an aircraft carrier.

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 10:26
Been potterin about wi computers for over twenty five years now and I still haven't a clue what URL or HTTP means,but then one is mostly a hardware bod, I mean software is what sissies do,and they dont even do it in sheds.
:rolleyes:

MagnusP
13th Aug 2010, 10:29
Redouble your efforts.

Certainly; just as soon as you redouble my salary.

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 11:00
Wings

What is 'direct current voltage' then? Power?

Similarly with AC voltage. Even 'AC resistance' which should be 'resistance to AC' and DC resistance the same.

'Cathode Ray' was fulminating about these terms in 'Wireless World' as long ago as November 1934!

Some more: 'Disabled Toilet' - in fact, you want the toilet to work.

Disabled Parking: you want the parking enabled so it can be used.

MOSFET transistor.

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 11:06
Metal Oxide Semi Conducter Field Effect Transistor?
Yer wudden want to be typing that out in every sentence.
:uhoh:

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 11:09
No Mr. Draper.

Just call it 'MOSFET' and have done with it.

Although some of my colleagues in the San Diego design centre have been known to call it some other things, mainly involving scatalogical obscenities!

tony draper
13th Aug 2010, 11:16
There is a chemical that has 64060 letters in its name,fortunatley it is also know as Enaptin,one was tempted to copy and past it in full but one would have undoubtely got wrong ofF flappyness.
:uhoh:

Smeagol
13th Aug 2010, 11:24
Forward Planning

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Gainesy
13th Aug 2010, 11:29
Does Gatwick come in jars Gainsey? I thought it came in packets!

Only the cheap, de-hydrated crap which reconstitutes like a very runny Stansted.

Stay clear of the tins too, thats got a very nasty Luton aftertaste.:yuk:

Cheerio
13th Aug 2010, 12:18
How come the Real IRA are always 'so-called', isn't everything 'so-called'? How come Real Madrid isn't 'so-called'? Is there some commission somewhere that decides what is 'so-called' and what isn't?

Gibon2
13th Aug 2010, 13:13
Ah - tautological redundancies: always a favourite topic! I particularly despise:

Crisis situation
Emergency situation

wings folded
13th Aug 2010, 13:28
Radeng,

It is not my particular area of expertise, so I sincerely do not fully understand:

What is 'direct current voltage' then? Power?

I do know that I have at various times (never all at once) driven forms of transport whose leccy bits were 6v, 12v or 24v. (First two were cars, last was a hairyplane).

All were DC. It was a little bit important not to confuse 6 with 24 or 12.

An even better plan was not to confuse wobbly AC with straight line DC, because the repair costs would have been on the high side.

As I understand it, "DC voltage" conveys two distinct messages; that the source is DC on the one hand, and that the working voltage is 6, 12, 24 (or even 300 which I seem to recall was once upon a time used for trains, or was it trams?)

If two bits of info are being transmitted, I do not see that as tautology.

RJM
13th Aug 2010, 13:56
The trams in our little neck of the woods used to run on 600V DC. The tram company had its own power station which sent power to 'converter stations' where it was stepped down to 600V for consumption by the trams. We've only just replaced the original 1927 trams with shiny new ones. They're very quiet and creep up on you compared with the squeaking, rattling but comfortable timber-panelled originals.

wings folded
13th Aug 2010, 14:04
RJM,

So if some young apprentice supplied 25kV AC to the network, would you not have been a few trams short of a transport network, and quite possibly a few citizens short of a community?

Hence my stance.

AC or DC is one criterion.

Operating voltage is a different one.

Two fairly important factors, and which do not overlap.

Davaar
13th Aug 2010, 14:08
As spoken by someone presented or represented as, or who in some cases actually is, a senior official of police or the courts:

(a)"Send it to forensics": "forensic" means having to do with law, as in "forensic medicine" or "forensic laboratory" or whatever. It is an adjective, not a noun, you fool. Why not send your problem to a forensic lawyer or a forensic judge?

(b) "Yeah, but he/she is a civilian, not a cop": A cop IS a civilian, ruled by the civil law, not by military law. A soldier, sailor or military airman on the other hand is NOT a civilian: he/she is ruled by some provisions of civil law, but in the essential difference he/she is ruled by military law. That, not the pretty clothes and shiny (sometimes) boots, is what makes him/her not a civilian.

wings folded
13th Aug 2010, 14:47
A cop IS a civilian, ruled by the civil law, not by military law.

Depends where you are.

In France you will mostly encounter gendarmes. There are huge numbers of other sorts of police, but you will mostly encounter gendarmes, especially if you car is going a little bit faster than those helpful roadside placards indicate.

Gendarmes are military.

Lonewolf_50
13th Aug 2010, 14:56
Strikemaster, isn't ATM short for Automated Teller Machine?

A bank teller is a person to whom you went to transact certain bank business, such as deposits and withdrawals. The teller is also who typically gets the note from the bank robber when a bank robbery takes place.

The ATM was devised and installed many places to substitute for the flesh and blood bank teller for some simple transactions.

It "telling" an English/British verb describing the actions of a bank teller? :confused:

PapaThreeCee
13th Aug 2010, 15:31
"future growth"

In the USA, T.V. shows providing coverage of Major League Baseball (MLB) are listed as "MLB Baseball." :ugh:

Davaar
13th Aug 2010, 15:57
Gendarmes are military.

Yes. We have a gendarmerie too, the Gendarmerie Royale du Canada. I did not intend to write an essay, but to make a comment in a context. The correct name for the Gendarmerie Royale du Canada is "The Horsemen".

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 16:28
Strictly, even 600V DC is terminologically dubious, in that a voltage is not a current. It ought to be 600 DV or 600 AV.

But it's been the present way for well over 100 years, so we are stuck with it, even if it is fundamentally terminologically incorrect.

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2010, 16:35
Gendarmes
Gens d'armes . . .

wings folded
13th Aug 2010, 17:07
Still not my speciality, radeng, so be patient with me.

Strictly, even 600V DC is terminologically dubious, in that a voltage is not a current. It ought to be 600 DV or 600 AV.

Can I not talk of 600v, with a current whose type is direct, with a measurement of that current in amps? or amperes if we are being fussy?

Is there something fundamentally wrong with speaking of 600v DC at 15 amps?

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 17:24
To be correct, it would be 15 amps DC at 600 volts.

But common usage is of course, 15 amps at 600 volts DC

If it was half wave rectified, there would be AC and DC to worry about.....

Where I think you can really get confusion is with 'AC resistance' (which surely is an AV! - current times resistance). Without specifying frequency, that's meaningless. It also begs the question of whether the zero frequency (aka 'dc') resistance is included in the parameter.

But common usage rules!

Gainesy
13th Aug 2010, 17:28
a bank teller

In UK we usually call them cashiers.

radeng
13th Aug 2010, 17:32
What does he/she tell the bank?

vulcanised
13th Aug 2010, 18:04
Wash hand basin.

Why isn't washbasin good enough?

Pugilistic Animus
13th Aug 2010, 20:23
knot per hour would be valid in discussing Florida senior- driver's car acceleration nm/hr/hr:}

unstable load
14th Aug 2010, 07:25
In a long list of things they did to ''help" as far as the Nam/SA/Rhodesia bush wars went, Foxy.

Karl Bamforth
14th Aug 2010, 07:29
FOD damage.

BlueWolf
14th Aug 2010, 07:51
MPs! Shouldn't they be MsP?

Cretin on the box the other night was going on about the Army's new Armoured APCs.

Also, why is a toothbrush not a teethbrush?

unstable load
14th Aug 2010, 19:21
Also, why is a toothbrush not a teethbrush?

prolly cos the bloke wot invented it only had a toof (singular) by the time he cottoned onto the idea that dental hygiene may have an upside, and seeing as it was utilised to brush said tooth, it became, henceforth, a toothbrush.

If that does not satisfy your curiosity, I'm all out of ideas.:rolleyes:

TURIN
14th Aug 2010, 22:50
FOD damage.

Foreign Object Debris Damage?

I, myself personally at this present moment in time find a whole host...........z.z.z.z.z.z.

Davaar
15th Aug 2010, 04:36
Well if you really want tautology, beat this from Lord Eskgrove (1724-1804) a Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland, in passing sentence of death on a tailor convicted of murdering a soldier

And not only did you murder him, whereby he was bereaved of his life, but you did thrust, or push, or pierce, or project, or propel, the lethal weapon through the bellyband of his regimental breeches, which were His Majesty's !

BlueWolf
15th Aug 2010, 05:16
Good God man, not the King's trousers?? Hang him!