PDA

View Full Version : Non standard steep approaches

treadigraph
12th Aug 2010, 12:01
Just been discussing steep non-standard approaches with a couple of my colleagues and several questions arose.

We are aware of London City (5 degrees?), but wondered whether there are many other approaches into fairly major airports which are slightly steeper than the usual 3 degrees (say 3.5 or 4 degrees) ?

Are there requirements for crew to be specifically trained to fly to those airports?

What are the differences in how a steeper approach is flown by crews?

Thanks

Treadders

high-flyer
12th Aug 2010, 15:59
Hi there,

We fly to Marseille in the A320, which has a 4 degree glideslope to runway 31R to avoid high ground on the way in. Nothing special, just need to be fully configured before starting down the approach. The chart is here if you're interested:

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/IAC/AD/2/1009_AD-2.LFML.pdf

No other ones that spring to mind in our operation.

high-flyer

treadigraph
13th Aug 2010, 07:25
Many thanks high-flyer, that's roughly what I would have expected - should have had a pint resting on it!

Presumably a first visit would be well briefed and perhaps accompanied by a Captain/FO who has been there before?

Cheers

Treadders

chevvron
13th Aug 2010, 07:59
I think the ICAO definition of a steep approach is one in excess of 4 deg.
Lanzarote r/w 21 is 3.7 deg and Gallivare in Sweden r/w 12 is 4 deg.
In the UK, Farnborough, Northolt and Exeter all have 3.5 deg.

Chesty Morgan
13th Aug 2010, 08:33
Chevvron, it's 4.5 degrees. Chambery is 4.46 and not a steep approach but does require extra training because of the procedures and terrain.

:ok:

Callsign Kilo
13th Aug 2010, 09:12
Carcassone. Circle to land procedure onto a 4 degree papi on RW28. The town of Carcassone rises to the east of the extended centreline and makes for an interesting approach

WindSheer
13th Aug 2010, 23:41
Plymouth? Didn't they have 5.5 deg papi's installed to facilitate LCY training??

chevvron
14th Aug 2010, 00:52
Fairoaks has the same 5.5 deg facility, but only to qualify pilots by flying the approach, it's not for landing off.

grizzled
14th Aug 2010, 01:45
When I was in Oz I saw many different versions, including drunken pilots using large nets that they threw...
Oh.
Sorry.
I mis-read; I thought you were asking about non-standard sheep approaches.

;)