PDA

View Full Version : im 18years...I have lots of questions..

wpgus0224
12th Aug 2010, 09:45
Hi How R u ... I am 18years old boy who wants to be a pilot just like u are. I have some question regarding becoming pilot.. any help is appreciated..
1)In order to become a pilot do I have to major like aeronautical or aerospace that is related to pilot? or can I just do like other regular major that has nothing to do with pilot. Do i have better advantage if I major aeronautical? and Is aeronautical major fun ?
2) I was seraching about pilot and I heard pilot industry is doing really bad due to American economy.. Can u tell me about current pilot hiring status?
3) I wana work as major airline pilot.. how is income ?
4)What age can I become major airline pilot ? I mean How fast can I become major airline pilot ?
5) how satisfied with ur job ? rate 1-100 please..
I am very serious about becoming pilot. I hope u could help me out regarding my questions...
Thank you.. I hope u have great flight..!

A320Dreamer
12th Aug 2010, 10:00
In a hurry so I'll try to answer quick.. And please, don't use txtspk.

1. Pick a major that you enjoy, it doesn't have to be aviation related at all.. Rather pick something that is safe to fall back on in case you get furloughed (which you will probably get eventually).

2. The industry has been crap for a couple of years now, but some predict it will get better within a few years.

3. You won't work at a major airline.. At least not at first. You need to have experience to even apply. Which as a 22-23ish year old coming fresh out of a flight school you won't have. You will need to pick up a less fabolous (btw, nothing is fabolous in this industry) job.. i.e flying cargo on small turbo props or being a FI with a crap salary. And if you in a matter of many thousands of hours flying you would get in to a major, it's not a very safe place to be in an economy downturn.

4. Unless you get in to some sort of sponsored training, which is not likely, it will take years. If you even get in to a major at all..

5. Can't answer that for you.. Sorry!

And PLEASE, next time, use the search function to get your ansewers. I'm sure these questions have been answered a billion times by now.

Hope this helped, get back to me if you have any further questions that you won't find using the search function.. Btw, how did you plan to finance your education? And how much do you think it costs?

EDIT: What do you consider to be a major airline?

redsnail
12th Aug 2010, 10:29
It's difficult to give an accurate answer when you don't state where you live.
"c" isn't that specific. :)

You don't need to use text speak, there are no limits to how many letters you can use. (well, ok, there are but you know what I mean)

1. No, a degree is not a prerequisite for a flying job. Note, some airlines in US will use a degree as a means of screening people. It does not have to be in aviation.

2. In Europe, it's beginning to slowly pick up, but for low houred people it is still very tough. In Australia, it has begun to pick up already.
I'll put a caveat on the low houred pilots, even when it's booming, getting a decent job is still tough.

3. I earn €100,000. I do not work for a major airline. (Took a looooong time to get there)

4. To hold an ATPL you must be 21 years of age. You can hold a CPL at 18.
How fast you get into the "majors" is dependant on so many things. How quickly you can train, (usually money, weather, tech issues and brains related - but mainly money), how quickly you can get employed, could be weeks after finishing or years, depends on said economy. Whether or not you get picked up by a major straight up, it is possibly in Europe, probably not in the US. If you don't get hired straight up, you could be looking at any where from 2 to 10 years, if ever.

Not every one who completes the CPL + IR will fly something decent, let alone get a decent job. :ouch:

5. Love the job, the industry... not so much.

Now, I suggest you spend some time reading through this and other forums, also go to your country's regulatory website and read what they have to say.

Good luck.

XL319
12th Aug 2010, 21:59
Without being flippant and offering some constructive advice...

Do what I've done and get a degree (or qualification) in something else other than aviation, then if it doesn't go to plan you have something useful to fall back on.

I am a legal executive with a law degree. My first love is flying. If my flying doesn't take off then I have something which I can use to great benefit.

If flying doesn't go to plan then I im looking to instruct part time while doing a legal job.

vserian
13th Aug 2010, 04:25
1)In order to become a pilot do I have to major like aeronautical or aerospace that is related to pilot? or can I just do like other regular major that has nothing to do with pilot. Do i have better advantage if I major aeronautical? and Is aeronautical major fun ? - you don't need a degree to be a pilot but its an advantage to have one. yes you can do anything that's not related with aviation but if you are extremely interested with aviation then the best would be to get a aviation management degree or an engineering and there are loads of diploma studies related with aviation too. Advantage of the degree is that, after you get your license and not employed as a pilot you can still work in other sectors and at the same time try to look for pilot job.

2) I was seraching about pilot and I heard pilot industry is doing really bad due to American economy.. Can u tell me about current pilot hiring status?- its not just due to American economy but a lot of other factors too. but i wont go into that . Well hiring was like it used to be, few years ago airlines were looking for pilots like they didn't eat food for 2 weeks. But now its not the case, hiring is still going on in some parts of the world but with high competition. I am not telling that you cant find a job but its really tough.

3) I wana work as major airline pilot.. how is income ? - Depends where you live. For example here in India, a lot of guys enter major airlines to do their very first job but it varies from place to place. most likely you will land on a regional or a cargo airline for your first job. My first job was on the B 1900D, then the A 310 then now on the B777. The pay too varies. As a B 777 FO you can expect to earn between 5000 to 9000 USD per month differs with Airlines.

4)What age can I become major airline pilot ? I mean How fast can I become major airline pilot ? - Airlines usually prefer young pilots, but if you have the experience then age doest matters. Usually they hire people with experience between 22 - 45 years.

5) how satisfied with ur job ? rate 1-100 please.. - i would give 80 over 100. i love flying, it was always my dream since the first time i saw a plane flying over my head ( a 707 i still remember it). the -20 is for personal reason.!

My simple advise is that, work hard, love and show respect for what you do and dont give up in life!

All the best!!!:ok:

wpgus0224
13th Aug 2010, 07:49
Thank you for ur support and answer!