PDA

View Full Version : Are pilots worthwhile?

Cacophonix
12th Aug 2010, 00:37
I was asked this again tonight!

I am sorry I didn't make a million with Alpha one hun!

Pilots?

smo-kin-hole
12th Aug 2010, 02:33
Are pilots worthwhile?
Is piloting worthwhile?

We drive the silly things all over the place, our heads full of knowledge and procedures which hardly ever seem to be needed. The job is exactly the same day after day. If you are on the same route, every single thing you do that day is the same as what occured yesterday and is the same as what will occur tomorrow. You create nothing, imagine little, and put up with the same struggle every single flipping day.

But after my last stint in an office cubicle, I wouldn't trade it for anything, especially the sunsets.

Does that hot girl think I'm "worthwhile?" Who cares. :p

Firestorm
12th Aug 2010, 08:00
Ask the makers of big watches: of course we are! (Blooming word count police wouldn't let me just post 'yes').

Blacksheep
12th Aug 2010, 08:12
No.

Not until the No. 2 throws a turbine disc and bursts into flames. Then they're worthwhile.

Until then its all up to the pretty cabin crew. The females too.

goudie
12th Aug 2010, 10:40
Without them the passengers would never board the aeroplane?

MagnusP
12th Aug 2010, 11:05
Hah! Even WITH some of them, I'm reluctant to board. :p

rgbrock1
12th Aug 2010, 13:40
Are pilots even needed? I thought passenger aircraft flew by themselves. :}:}:}

Firestorm
12th Aug 2010, 16:44
Someone's got to turn the autopilot on rgb!

The real reason that the door is locked nowadays is that we sit there reading the newspaper, but that's all there is in there, apart from empty coffee cups and (at British Airways) a cheeseboard, but we don't want the passengers to know that. We just emerge between flights like extras on a film set to Do Things, and speak jargon: it reassures the SLF!

Juud
12th Aug 2010, 16:47
Two days ago, I was allowed to sit in the cockpit of a 747 taking off from MEX.
I knew the captain when he joined the company 28 years ago and he was a cocky lad then. Now he´s generally considered an arrogant SOB, though in fairness he´s never like that with me. A very stiff Swiss FO and an SO who looked and behaved like a geeky 19 year old. While I was honestly grateful for their hospitality, (who needs a nosy FA on the jump seat after all) they clearly were not a bunch of guys you´d spontaneously take to.

The winds had changed so rather than taking off away from the volcano, we had to take off towards it. Which needed a tight turn shortly after take off, which again needed the airco packs switched off for max power.
Dark airport, an endlessly criss-crossing parade of small vehicles with flashing lights, a to me bewildering array of blue-purplish lights denoting taxiways, non-stop chattering in Spanish on the radio with the occasional message in English.
To get to our take off position we had to taxi quite a bit and cross two active runways.
Oh yes, it rained and the wind had a nasty bite to it.

The 3 pilots were concentrated, efficient, very accurate and cross checking each other with everything they did, be that reading back instructions from ATC, inputting data into the computers, checking their progress on the airport charts, doing their fuel, t/o thrust and other calculations.
Despite most of the RT being in Spanish, they clearly had a mental picture of who was taxiing around us, who was landing or taking off on the runways we crossed, and who was getting which clearances.
(they asked me a couple of times about a rushed Spanish sentence, apart from that I was happily invisible & quiet)

To me, non-pilot observing the whole thing, the taxiing looked bløødy complicated and the crossing of 2 active runways with landing lights stacked in the sky was downright scary.
Yet there was never any sense of tension in either the pilots´ actions or interactions. It was glaringly obvious that they knew exactly what they were doing, and enjoyed doing it well.

Like so many times before, I sat there quietly, enjoyed the whole thing immensely and thought that whatever they´re like as people, good pilots are worth every penny they make.

Slasher
12th Aug 2010, 18:45
Yeh I was an ace of the base too when I was a cockey pussey-chasing FO and same still with breathtaking arragance when I was promoted captain. But all that was yonks ago - nowadays I derive more satisfaction from a good shit than a good landing.

Juud
12th Aug 2010, 20:58
Slash: Looking Beyond Fiber to Stay 'Regular' (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02brod.html) :cool:

While never having phrased it in your inimitable terms, I recognise the sentiment.

More´s the pity.

Lon More
12th Aug 2010, 22:00
nowadays I derive more satisfaction from a good shit than a good landing.

ever gone for both simultaneously? :eek:

Sirikit
12th Aug 2010, 23:25
ever gone for both simultaneously? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Judging from the skid marks....I think they're worthwhile!:E