PDA

View Full Version : Better send these workers back to SHCOOL!

rotornut
11th Aug 2010, 13:52
BBC News - US school road marking spelt wrongly (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-10936604)

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2010, 18:15
A fair proportion of PPruners have no right to laugh at this one - there's some pretty appalling spelling on here. Is it because most of us are from a technical background (aircrew, engineers, etc) that bad spelling seems somehow acceptable? I can't imagine many here admitting that they couldn't do simple arithmetic, for example.

Lon More
11th Aug 2010, 18:53
http://content.expressen.se/blog/96/31/30/plita/images/remember-to-sotp.jpg

Takan Inchovit
11th Aug 2010, 20:34
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48689000/jpg/_48689343_shcool_ap.jpg

They need to edjamacate the drivers too, driving on wrong side of road. :=

Loose rivets
11th Aug 2010, 21:14
Thing is, that I wouldn't have noticed. If the first and last letters are correct, it'll do the job. However, if I'm looking for a word in a list on the spell-check, I'll instantly know which is correct. (most times)

I've often wondered if the data is there, but it's being held back from reaching my 'higher levels.'

I can't imagine many here admitting that they couldn't do simple arithmetic, for example.

Mmm . . . I'm not so sure about that. I marvel at Davaar's literary abilities, but wonder what it would be like to not be able to work on delicate technical devices.

I have real trouble with putting the math(ematics) to my interpretation of gravitational theory, but the modeling in my mind of spherical acceleration etc., is very clear - as is the imagery of mechanical parts etc. However, it would be nice to have the compete package.

Noah Zark.
11th Aug 2010, 21:15
Hold on a minute, though, chaps ( & esses). Might this not be a cunning plan? Look at the stir it has caused, so it has achieved its aim.
I would go as far as to bet a shilling on the fact that even when driving over it, the subconcious mind reads it and it registers more than the correctly spelt word would have.

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2010, 21:34
I have real trouble with putting the math(ematics) to my interpretation of gravitational theory, but the modeling in my mind of spherical acceleration etc., is very clear - as is the imagery of mechanical parts etc. However, it would be nice to have the compete package.

:confused::confused::confused:

I did say simple arithmetic, LR!

btw it's modelling this side of the pond!

Parapunter
11th Aug 2010, 21:47
Hold on a minute, though, chaps ( & esses). Might this not be a cunning plan? Look at the stir it has caused, so it has achieved its aim.
I would go as far as to bet a shilling on the fact that even when driving over it, the subconcious mind reads it and it registers more than the correctly spelt word would have.My old dad was a painter & builder. 40 years ago, he had the contract to repaint Kings Cross. Fed up with people leaning on freshly painted bits of the station that they were not allowed to cordon off, he decided to put up signs saying Wet pint, Wit pant, Wot point and so on.

People had ignored the wet paint signs & when he got the lads to deliberately mispell them, people noticed, took it in & kept off.

Cod psychology innit.:cool:

CathayBrat
11th Aug 2010, 22:47
Only the first and last letter of ecah word is in the right place:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Whats the problem?

radeng
11th Aug 2010, 23:35
I think there's a difference between spelling skills and typing skills. Unless you very carefully check that which you have typed, or are an excellent typist, then the errors may well suggest a lack of capability to spell when in fact, it is a lack of familiarity with the keyboard, and too hasty a checking.

I make a lot of mistakes - one being the reversal of the order where an 'e' appears eg 'otehr'.

Whereas numerate skills are less keyboard dependent.

henry crun
11th Aug 2010, 23:58
An illustration of the point radeng has made.

I know perfectly well how to spell FROM, but more often than not it comes out as FORM, and I notice some others who post here have the same problem.

N707ZS
12th Aug 2010, 00:12
I went to Wales and all the signs are spelt wrong as the corrections are underneath!

reynoldsno1
12th Aug 2010, 02:14
ISTR the M1 in the UK had one of them big green directional signs that said "THE NORHT", or summat like it, for some time. Apparently the signs were made in panels in one of HMG's residential homes for the legally challenged, so some misanthropic mischief may have been afoot ....

IJM
12th Aug 2010, 04:22
I knew a couple of guys who used to do the road markings / lining for a highway contractor - pretty good at their job most of the time, apart from the occasion when they marked out a bus stop layby in a busy town centre with the words "BUS TOSS". :eek:

A couple of their colleagues also painted a "Give Way" triangular marking on the road the wrong way round!

Loose rivets
12th Aug 2010, 04:50
Mmm...Mr Tank

See senior member Julian's post #8

Modelling or modeling? - WordReference Forums (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=404988)