PDA

View Full Version : Aerad Plates question

Brilliant Stuff
10th Aug 2010, 18:17
I don't have access to an Aerad legend at the moment, therefore may I ask you knowledgeable ones the following please:

If on an Aerad plate the height is written in Bold does it only mean that the height is based on the QNH or does it also mean you can not under any circumstances fly below that altitude?

It appears they have changed their plates recently hence the question.

Bladecrack
11th Aug 2010, 19:46
AFAIK altitudes are in bold, heights in normal type. NOT BELOW altitudes are underlined. I will try to remember to double check in work tomorrow.

BC

pasptoo
11th Aug 2010, 20:10
Bold heights should indicate the "recommended" procedure height for the approach.

Not Below/Not Above and Not Above or Below should be indicated by a line above and or below the height as required.

P

Volant Brique
12th Aug 2010, 05:48
Not sure if the following information leaflet is of use:

http://www.euronautical.com/files/temp/protected/56Uw7rblSQa744Sp/Aerochart_LegendNewBooklet.pdf

VB

Flying Foxhunter
12th Aug 2010, 12:46
VB,
That is a very useful pamphlet and has cleared up some of lifes little mysteries to someone who wants the knowledge but doesn't necessarily need it!!
FF

Bravo73
12th Aug 2010, 14:23
AFAIK altitudes are in bold, heights in normal type. NOT BELOW altitudes are underlined. I will try to remember to double check in work tomorrow.

Bold heights should indicate the "recommended" procedure height for the approach.

Not Below/Not Above and Not Above or Below should be indicated by a line above and or below the height as required.

Not any more, unfortunately. In their 'wisdom', Aerads decided to change the very sensible, and obvious, convention of underlined or overlined altitudes representing 'not below' or 'not above'.

'Not below' altitudes are now represented by bold text. See pg 28 of the guide in post 4 above, "Legend profile view 11".

Bravo73
12th Aug 2010, 17:48
Sadly it's not as simple as that.

Indeed. And as you state, there is further confusion because there are other altitudes which are also in bold.

Aerads really dropped the ball on that one.

Brilliant Stuff
13th Aug 2010, 14:17
Thank you very much. :ok:

It's all crystal clear now.

iqbal
26th Oct 2010, 16:51
I have used Aerad charts for many years, they have evolved into Navtech Charts which in my opinion are probably the best designed charts on the market.

If you look at the specification they show any crossing alts as 'Minimum', 'Maximum', 'At' and 'Bust' alts. The use of reverse video on the Busts are particularly excellent.