PDA

View Full Version : A320 landing light speed limit

ahmed88
10th Aug 2010, 16:13
whats the speed limit to extend the landing lights ? low speed makes sense, but a study material for the type course says it can be used at ANY speed..

thanks

The Flying Cokeman
10th Aug 2010, 17:43
ie there is no speed limit for the landing lights but having them extended will cause a 3% increase in drag. It makes sense extending them at or below 250 kts where you typically would be below 10.000 ft anyway. Just a thought.

Max Angle
10th Aug 2010, 17:47
Surprisingly there is no restriction in the FCOM, they do however create quite a lot of noise and vibration when extended above 250kts.

ahmed88
10th Aug 2010, 18:21
yeah, i checked the electrical circuit for the landing light and there is no speed input anywhere in the circuit, just a straight forward on off retract function. there goes a couple marks off of my first type exam -.-

red 5
10th Aug 2010, 20:41
There is no speed limit as the aircraft can be despatched with the light stuck in the extended position iaw the MEL. However as previously mentioned an increase in fuel consumption and buffet will occur.

TopBunk
10th Aug 2010, 21:20
ie there is no speed limit for the landing lights but having them extended will cause a 3% increase in drag.

My sources suggest 1% fuel flow increase for each light extended.

ahmed88
11th Aug 2010, 11:38
so why is it allowed to be extended at high speeds, whats the reason behind it ?? maybe certain situations might require the landing lights to be on or something ? :P

Gas Bags
11th Aug 2010, 12:50
ahmed,

Read the answers to your post and all will be revealed. In fact the reply prior to your last post is the answer to the question you are now asking.

If a landing light is U/S in the down position (i.e. stuck in that position) what do you do? ground the aircraft?

No you refer to the MEL which allows the aircraft to depart in that configuration.

GB

ahmed88
11th Aug 2010, 22:48
sorry failed to notice it, yeah i guess that clears it up then.

thank you all for your replies, very helpful !