PDA

View Full Version : New Candidate for Darwin Award

OFSO
9th Aug 2010, 18:34
We have just seen a few prime candidates for the Darwin Award.

Sitting on our terrace at 600' asl, looking down at the Bay of Roses below, a thunderstorm or two wending their way across the water, the occasional lightning striking down, pyrotechnics, noise.......and Mrs OFSO says "I don't believe it !"

Seize binoculars, and true enough, there's a speedboat towing someone suspended under a parasail across the Bay, through the thunderstorm. Ten minutes later, he lowers the guy and raises someone else. Obviously had a boatload of moron tourists waiting to be carbonised.

Duh !

Parapunter
9th Aug 2010, 18:36
Even in the absence of a storm. I would urge everyone to avoid parascending. Highly dodgy undertaking is being towed. Not recommended at all.:=

El Grifo
9th Aug 2010, 21:05
Shit, I have taken some of my best photies strapped in backwards :ok:

On a parascender that is !!!

galaxy flyer
9th Aug 2010, 21:07
Give that parasailer a key and he'd be a human Ben Franklin experiment.

GF

El Grifo
9th Aug 2010, 21:13
Lightning response galaxy :ok:

tony draper
9th Aug 2010, 21:14
Always puzzled as to why most people are so keen on getting off the ground,cept potholers of course, they are just the opposite,one is quite content to stay on the level nature intended.
:)

jimtherev
9th Aug 2010, 21:22
Always puzzled as to why most people are so keen on getting off the ground,cept potholers of course, they are just the opposite,one is quite content to stay on the level nature intended.
Restricted the field of view of the CCTV cameras somewhat though?

tony draper
9th Aug 2010, 21:27
That was work,one was paid to get orf the ground,also under it occasionally.:)

larssnowpharter
9th Aug 2010, 21:54
One recalls reading that , back in Nelson's day, many ships of the line were lost to lightning. Apparantly strikes could lead to explosions of the gunpowder in the magazines.

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2010, 23:21
Serves them right for reading during a storm.

Wod
10th Aug 2010, 05:05
Makes golfers look sensible in comparison. They sound a hooter from the clubhouse whenever lightning is observed in the vicinity and everyone who can hear it trots off the course with their bagful of lightning conductors, not even pausing for shelter under the (too numerous) trees.

If I can be forgiven for taking JB seriously it might be worth a word to whoever licences that lot out on the bay.
(I can't believe that the local council havent taxed the enterprise)

sitigeltfel
10th Aug 2010, 05:14
Flown a few things, but you wouldn't get me up in one of those. The guy in control is safely on the deck.

British man plunges to death after 'harness snaps' in Turkish parasailing accident - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/turkey/7913969/British-man-plunges-to-death-after-harness-snaps-in-Turkish-parasailing-accident.html)

RedhillPhil
10th Aug 2010, 06:26
Bit like parachuting. Why do people go up in a perfectly servicable and working aeroplane, then jump out?

Gainesy
10th Aug 2010, 08:22
I did a few jumps a long time back. The kiddy driving the Porter was hours building and observing the semi-controlled crashes that he passed off as landing was a great incentive to get off and make one's own way down.:uhoh:

Potholes? No way, never, not me.

henry crun
10th Aug 2010, 08:55
Many years ago I had a long standing urge to make a parachute jump.

Then one day I was returning to Feltwell in a Harvard under a lowering cloudbase, when suddenly there was a small bang from the engine, and a lot of black smoke came billowing back.

Whoopee thought I, now is my chance to achieve the ambition; but that was before I looked at the altimeter reading only 500ft.

I was instantly cured of any such foolish ideas of making a parachute jump and the wish to do so never crossed my mind again.

tony draper
10th Aug 2010, 08:55
As one's old grandpappy used to say, never take up a pastime one has to change into different clothing for.

VitaminGee
10th Aug 2010, 09:54
Like cricket? :rolleyes:

tony draper
10th Aug 2010, 09:57
ere no, one's missive was aimed more at the prune transvestites.:rolleyes:

Evening Star
10th Aug 2010, 10:59
We have just seen a few prime candidates for the Darwin Award.

Sitting on our terrace at 600' asl, looking down at the Bay of Roses below, a thunderstorm or two wending their way across the water, the occasional lightning striking down, pyrotechnics, noise.......and Mrs OFSO says "I don't believe it !"

Seize binoculars, and true enough, there's a speedboat towing someone suspended under a parasail across the Bay, through the thunderstorm. Ten minutes later, he lowers the guy and raises someone else. Obviously had a boatload of moron tourists waiting to be carbonised.

Duh !

Saw same in Gelendzhik (eastern bit of Black Sea in Russia) once. Midmorning, daily thunderstorm active and parascending offerings to the gods continuing to be towed across bay. Mind, this is just along the coast from that donkey, so nothing will surprise me.

OFSO
10th Aug 2010, 12:46
The power boat/parasailing combo is out there again this afternoon, and the western mountains are once again gloomy...one can but hope !

I've just removed the thermostat from one of our immersion heaters (a plastic block with a long copper rod coming out of it, the thermostat, not the immersion heater) 'cos its not working, the reset button does nothing, and the owner of our local electrical business told me I could: "bring it down to the shop and we'll sell you a new one to fit" ..... I think last week's thunderstorms blasted the thermostat so I'm due for a payback with some visual entertainment with frying tourists.

flying lid
10th Aug 2010, 17:45
This pil(ot)lock. I like the "handbrake turn" at the end !!

CJoXMcehrYo&feature=related

Lid

Checkboard
10th Aug 2010, 18:23
could lead to explosions of the gunpowder in the magazines.

I've only seen those little pachets of shampoo and face cream you get in the magazines - mustn't be reading "Pirate Monthly" or sommat.