PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Air Interview Help

Pardes
9th Aug 2010, 18:00
Just got the call from Atlas Air. They want me to do an online exam containing 50 questions on ATP, WX and FAR 121 in 60 mins! From what HR told me, the exam is NOT EASY! Anybody got an info on the exam or the interview?

Thanks in advance!

Intruder
9th Aug 2010, 18:31
Get your references gathered before you start the test!

I've been told that you should be ready to discuss any questions you miss when you get to the interview.

NGFellow
10th Aug 2010, 01:44
I would suggest getting the ATP Test prep book, Aviation weather and the FAR Flight Crew book before you take the exam.

BTW what kind of experience do you have ?

gtf
10th Aug 2010, 03:21
If I may, PDF format, when available, are fantastic. The search function gets you there faster than you can turn the pages...

dieselsix
10th Aug 2010, 18:17
I've heard you need 70% or better to get an interview.

Intruder
10th Aug 2010, 19:14
If you are applying for jobs, you should be continuously preparing for interviews, and should not have to resort to Pprune for "specific questions" on some test. Gather your references, on paper and online, and take the test!

Talon757
10th Aug 2010, 20:43
It appears that different questions are weighted differently. Some have been offered interviews with scores in the low 60s and some have not with scores in the 70s. No intel available as to which questions carry priority I'm afraid.

jetjockee
11th Aug 2010, 08:28
sent u a PM
Padres

Pardes
11th Aug 2010, 09:55
Thanks for all the info guys! :ok:

cargowannabe
12th Aug 2010, 14:49
Just sent PM was out of pocket until now sorry!!! Have you taken it and if so how was it????

cargo

GG747
13th Aug 2010, 05:31
Rumor is that they hired some guys who only scored in the low 40's on the exam. Also don't wear a tie to your interview. They say business casual and if you wear a tie that seems to be another mark against you.

Good luck.

747newguy
14th Aug 2010, 05:18
"Also don't wear a tie to your interview. They say business casual and if you wear a tie that seems to be another mark against you."

Sure has changed a lot in 11 years...

ATPMBA
26th Aug 2010, 11:21
What are their hiring minimums?

zerozero
26th Aug 2010, 17:57
Atlas Air, Inc. (http://www.atlasair.com/aa/careers.asp)

Atlas Air is currently accepting resumes for First Officer positions. To submit your resume, email it as an attachment to [email protected]. All email subject lines AND resume file names must be "(last name), (first name) RESUME". PDF format is preferred for all resumes.

# First Officer Minimum Requirements: 2500 hours total time
# 1000 hours turbine
# FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate
# Current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate
# FCC Radio License
# Legally authorized to work in the United States
# Current Passport
# Ability to pass a 10-year security background check and a pre-employment drug test

First Officer Preferred Experience:
# FMS experience
# Long-haul pilot experience
# Military pilot experience
# FAR 121 experience
# Heavy aircraft experience

Resumes should include the following flight times:
# Total time
# Total turbine time (turbo-prop and jet)
# Total turbine PIC time (turbo-prop and jet)

Whale-r
27th Aug 2010, 13:12
Calls are going out for Sep interviews. Buddy got invited to take the test yesterday.

ATPMBA
27th Aug 2010, 13:51
zerozero - thanks for the info.

2,500 hours TT seems kind of light, what are competitive times to have? Also, reading in between the lines, are they more inclined to hire ex-military? Not too many 2,500 TT guys have heavy jet part 121 experience.

zerozero
28th Aug 2010, 01:04
That's a fair interpretation ATPMBA.

VP of Flight Ops, at a meeting several months ago, publicly stated he wanted an 80/20 mix of military vs. civilian but realized that wasn't realistic so he lowered his target to 60/40.

To be competitive as a civilian, in the past, 5000 TT seemed to be the min threshold. Most were closer to 10,000.

Good luck.

747pylot
28th Aug 2010, 11:59
I would wear a tie.

Whale-r
3rd Sep 2010, 20:49
I was told later it was mostly a mind game just to see what the interviewees would wear, but it was still very specific about it being business casual and described what to wear and a tie wasn't mentioned.

Moon-dog
4th Sep 2010, 01:48
If they say no tie, I would not wear a tie. That would show an inability to follow instructions. Or am I missing something?

zerozero
4th Sep 2010, 01:54
The letter inviting the applicant to the interview says dress should be business casual.

Everyone is reading between the lines that is to mean no tie.

Tie, no tie, who cares? There are bigger fish to fry.

Just be professional.

711-24-7
4th Sep 2010, 11:57
So, what is the face to face interview like? After the online tech test do they call or send a letter for face to face interview? Any help or info would be much appriciated!!

Mr.Haole
5th Sep 2010, 16:51
So, in anticipation of the phone call with a test to be performed within a 60 minute time-frame, any suggestions (better yet-links) for study material in PDF format?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Aloha,

Haole

711-24-7
6th Sep 2010, 03:20
Check your PM Mr. Haole

wolleat
15th Sep 2010, 19:54
I dont think the ties are a deal-breaker, but one of the HR dudes did comment about how the tie wearers didn't read the directions. I didnt wear one.

711-24-7
15th Sep 2010, 21:20
Has anyone gotten a phone call for the face to face interview in last couple of weeks after taking the tech test??

captseth
15th Sep 2010, 22:25
I can't help but think that despite the job being one of the mildly better ones in the current market, that the actual management are the biggest bunch of ****heads I've seen in a long, long time.

Moon-dog
17th Sep 2010, 00:36
I got a call about 10 days or so ago.

3pointlanding
14th Oct 2010, 13:56
Make sure you show them you can bend over spread the cheeks and take it like a man. The Teamsters will supply the vaseline

FirstStep
14th Oct 2010, 21:21
3point....

If by that comment you are inferring that working for Atlas you have to give a "pound of your flesh", work on the back side of the clock until you REALLY don't know what day it is, eat "chicken or beef" so much you'll try the meal that is labeled unreadable( in Chineese), and have a schedule that resembles more of a "wish" list that anything remotely reliable, then YES, that is Atlas.

However, if you want to fly good equipment with great handling charasteristics, fly long-haul, stay at some pretty descent hotels, get to put more "pins" on your map than most pilots, get a pretty good paycheck ( better in relation to many ), with a "growing" airline with opportunities that is FAR from bankruptcy, with some of the best guys around, then YES, that is the Atlas experience as well.

As far as Teamsters, well, we are who we elect. I happen to believe in the guy's who are representing me. Call it Faith, but given enough time and patience ( in short supply around here ), we will get a fair shake.

Oh I could bitch about tons of stuff. Tons. But, what good would it do.
And besides, who would want to listen?.

Fullboat2
14th Oct 2010, 21:39
FirstStep, I'm all ears!

Please, give me the good and the bad regarding Atlas. I went through the interview a few weeks ago and haven't heard a thing yet. But from what I've seen and been told by my friends who work there, its a pretty good place to be.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

daknarr
15th Oct 2010, 01:59
@Firststep

Me too. I've just sent my third resume to Atlas in a year. Still no word, but I persist

TimeOnTarget
15th Oct 2010, 02:26
Life at Atlas is "pretty good". Especially if you compare it to some of the other non-sched operations. As has been pointed out, we make a decent wage, but certainly not what we should.

Pros
Good airplanes with -8s on the way
Many great destinations-Honolulu, Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Europe, South America, etc
Some really great people in certain parts of management
Gateway travel
Nice hotels
Growth potential and a lot of senior captains to retire in the next few years
Well established military contracts with growth potential
A true adventure/opportunity to see the world

Cons
Long history of hostile management practices against pilot group
The company can be vicious at times
Pay is below par for the job
Constantly changing schedule with no pay protection
Long duty days and high levels of fatigue
17+ day patterns
Lots of sitting in hotels
Hostile training center
Tortuous dead heading up to 24 hours

We just need a fair contract and it will be a great place to be. I hope to have a career here, but who knows in this crazy busniess....

3pointlanding
15th Oct 2010, 14:47
I would have written it if I had not experienced it first hand. I now work for a first class outfit. Make more money, work less hours, contract followed (reluctantly but followed), what more is there?

Alchemy
23rd Nov 2010, 21:13
Does anyone have any more information on the face to face interview? Are any companies out there offering interview prep geared toward Atlas? I am a bit nervous coming from a domestic only glass cockpit and am concerned about going cold into a 747 classic sim. Do they still do that?

I hear they also require you to write an essay about a technical aviation topic. Does anyone have an idea of topics on should brush up on for that? I try to stay up on aerodynamics, navigation, weather, and aircraft systems as much as the next guy but I fear that being stuck on a single a/c type for the past 6 years might have limited my exposure a bit.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm grateful for the chance to interview even if the result doesn't turn out as I am hoping....Thanks!

TimeOnTarget
24th Nov 2010, 03:14
They are not conducting classic sim rides for interviews now.

Glass is good. You can be trained on the international part.

The big thing is whether you really want this job or not. It is going to be quite different from your domestic gig. The face to face is all about seeing what kind of person you are. It was not a stressful situation at all when I went through 3 years ago.

I don't know anything about this new test. Essays are usually more about assessing your communication skills than about the topic itself. :ok:

Alchemy
24th Nov 2010, 03:30
Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely want this job! At the risk of sounding phony, it would be a dream come true, even knowing about the potential for being on the road for 20+ days at a time, constant deadheading, and long days. I believe that Atlas has a solid business plan and feel like it would be a great place to spend a career. I'm single, so I'd be willing to move to a base and settle in for the long-haul, in more ways than one. I hear that moving is not necessarily much of an advantage....but I'm putting the cart before the horse a bit anyway. After drudging away at a regional on reserve for so long, it's an incredible morale booster to get an interview like this. Just tonight I had to kick a drunk off the airplane....and believe me I didn't want to do it. Although I'm sure freight presents its own challenges, I am eager to see what it's all about and feel like it might be a perfect fit for my personality type. The appeal of getting rid of passenger/flight attendant drama seems strong. Even if I don't get a job offer, I'll be applying again in the hope that persistence pays off.

maxcackel
25th Nov 2010, 20:10
What is the advantage and disadvantage of living in base or gateway city?

TimeOnTarget
26th Nov 2010, 17:57
Well, don't forget about pax flying completely as we are already moving in that direction with our new service for Sonair to Angola.

My advice is to wait until you are on the line a year and then think about moving.

If you live at your base, you will not have gateway privileges ever!! That is the way the contract is written. We will see what happens next year with the new language. I have changed bases 5 times in less than 3 years, so don't expect things to stay stable.

Life can be pretty good for guys living in their base particularly when assigned reserve in conjunction with your line. They are forcing us to pull base reserve now which is painful for us commuters. Gateway is a nice thing, but commuting still sucks!!! If you live within an hour or so of your base and can make it in one leg, then that is not too bad. One of the reasons that this job beats you up so much is because you will operate a 9 hour leg to ANC, arrive at midnight local, catch a red eye AS to SEA, then whatever else to get home. Those are simply the facts of life here....

See for yourself, and decide for yourself. Don't get caught up in the hype. :ok:

nitty-gritty
28th Nov 2010, 23:40
If you live at your base, you will not have gateway privileges ever!! That is the way the contract is written. We will see what happens next year with the new language. I have changed bases 5 times in less than 3 years, so don't expect things to stay stable.
That is not quite correct. There are conditions that you can, such as:

A Crewmember who currently lives within one hundred and thirty (130) miles of
his base will not be eligible for Gateway Travel if he bids to another base unless:

i. His bid is to upgrade in position and he cannot hold the same upgrade
position at his current base on any aircraft type; or

ii. He is involuntarily displaced from his current base and he elects, seniority
permitting, to bid the same aircraft type at his new base. If the aircraft
type has been eliminated this restriction will not apply

In the end, living at your base is best for time off. All gateway travel is like you commuting except on the compay's dime with a ticket and hotel. Your still spending your time off doing traveling to the initial operating flight. The idea is to bid trips that don't start at your base (not many do) and required travel per the pattern from your base to the initial operating leg. That way you can usually travel on the same day as your awarded pattern instead of on your own day off to start the trip. Works out many times and then sometimes not as far as traveling on your days off.

daknarr
30th Nov 2010, 03:03
@TimeOnTarget:

Cons
Long history of hostile management practices against pilot group
17+ day patterns
Hostile training center

None of those things bother me. I look forward to the long haul flying, but the "Hostile training center" concerns me. The training department at my current airline can be somewhat hostile as well, and that was something I was hoping would pass as my career progressed. can you elaborate?

ElectricWhale
30th Nov 2010, 05:37
Understand there is a class Dec1. Any word on class dates in Jan?

Whale

711-24-7
3rd Dec 2010, 11:20
I've been getting PM's about the help, so here it goes guys/gals good luck with the test, it is 50 questions, I was able to remember 33 or so of them. Here they are, so everyone has an equal advantage, go get it.......Good Luck!!

1. Rwy centerline lights last three thousand remaining? ( color)
2. Symbol for moderate icing
3. Symbol for sever squall line
4. On ILS31 JFK max hold speed in the hold
5. Final approach fix on the ILS31 JFK?
6. Final approach fix on the ILS31 G/S INOP JFK?
7. CAT1 approach on short final WX 1600RVR in all zones. Regarding Approach Ban? to continue or go around?
8. FL310, speed 540kts, descending to 16,000ft. How much time?
9. Metar winds reports are true or magnetic?
10. Metar winds if light and variable definition?
11. TAF from what time to what time winds will be XYZ station?
12. TAF from what time to what time it will be MIFG?
13. Balance field lengths? for wet rwy? how much correction can you take to reduce your V1?
14. when you are descending to altitude, you set what? QNE? QNF? QNH? 15. When you are climbing to FL ,you set what? QNH? QNE? QNF?
16. Question about current barometric pressure calculation on a given day?
17. How to find ISA Temp at given altitude.( FL310 temp-40c)
18. symbol "V" means what? verga? Fog? volcanic ash? etc
19. what is screen height? on given rwy?
20. Two engine climb gradient?
21. Given wind speed and direction on approach, want to know if can expect different rwy with wind limit of 10kts tail wind? can you accept?
22. JFK chart (10-9) airport diagram want to know about enroute clearance? (which statement is true) basically you need route clearance before you request for taxi.
23. TAF wind direction is true or magnetic?
24. Jet engine bleed air valves are used for what? pick a statement.
25. On JFK approach chart for ILS31 and asked you are in hold and you lost your radio, when will you depart hold? (two answers are similar) pick the one which says depart hold close to the EFC.
26. On JFK approach chart ask when will you start the approach if given this clearance etc?
27. RVSM airspace separation and flight levels?
28. LRC if you have 50kts head wind what will you do? in order to meet the profile?
29. SLOP what is the deviation on each side and who has the authority? 30. If RVR is in effect what is controlling? Do you need deck ceiling or just vis?
31. Out of Zurich read some TAF forecast vis? ( make sure you pick the one in knots not km)? JAR ops
32. Again another Zurich TAF to find out what will be the weather in certain time window....e.i Becoming, Tempo, etc
33. Ops Spec can you amend your approach mins?

MarkerInbound
3rd Dec 2010, 15:15
There are a bunch of us who figure there's no way we would have gotten this job if the company had been using their current hiring program - which may be their idea. Wonder why the term 'screen height' is brought up by an American air carrier, it is not used in the AIM, FAR 25, FAR 97 or the Instrument Procedures Manual. And an operator who only has 4 engine aircraft asking about 2 engine climb gradient, the Seven Six rumor lives!

D-LZ 126
28th Dec 2010, 11:45
"Long history of hostile management practices against pilot group
17+ day patterns
Hostile training center

None of those things bother me."

You're just the sort of go-getter they need, then. Knock yourself out...

3pointlanding
29th Dec 2010, 16:36
You forgot a union that is a little too cozy with management

WhaleDriver
29th Dec 2010, 16:55
"Long history of hostile management practices against pilot group
17+ day patterns
Hostile training center

None of those things bother me."

You're just the sort of go-getter they need, then. Knock yourself out...

I haven't worked over 16 days/month in the last 18 months. Yes, some long days, but with a heavy crew, not too bad. Pay, I'm making more than a buddy of mine in the left seat at UAL. There are a lot WORST out there.

BTW, over 2000+ resumes on file. He has a lot of company. New contract to fix a lot of issues.

shittykitty
29th Dec 2010, 19:06
he was talking about southern and just got to the wrong thread! atlas is @ the top of the bottom feeders. I dare say they are almost no longer a bottom feeder. but im just bitter since they did not hire me.

Alchemy
30th Dec 2010, 05:00
I got the job and will be giving training a shot in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this thread.

WhaleDriver
30th Dec 2010, 05:14
Congrats, what is your start date? -400 or classic?

Alchemy
30th Dec 2010, 05:36
I start on the last day of next month, and they gave me a -400 class.

ElectricWhale
2nd Jan 2011, 05:08
Congrats, Alch.

Study hard. Great airplane.

Me? Still standing by ...

Fillmore Slim
10th Jan 2011, 20:27
Can anyone provide some intel on what to expect at the interview in Miami? Apparently, I passed the online phone interview and online tech assessment.

Thanks in advance,

~Slim

ElectricWhale
11th Jan 2011, 03:44
I think there's a pretty good assessment in this thread ... somewhere.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html

Fillmore Slim
11th Jan 2011, 11:32
Yup, found it after I posted......thread pages 54-57 I think.....

Thanks!

~Slim

sinkratesinkrate
11th Jan 2011, 20:16
I had my phone call with HR and need some help with online test. I have 48 hr to take it. Could use tiny bit of help please.
Thank You

flite idol
12th Jan 2011, 00:35
Get three buddies togeather with laptops, internet access and a case of beer. Read questions, google, wikki, spread the load and look like a genius. Thats how the last newhire I flew with did it.:ok:

edit: use this technique at your own risk.

JCUERVO
15th Jan 2011, 19:06
Just finished up the assessment and can say that the gouge on here was very well spot on (Thanks for posting! Owe u a Beer)...

There Will be MNPS questions as well as chart symbols, RVSM questions, IAP questions, METAR and TAF, etc...The biggest tip I can give is READ the QUESTION and the ANSWERS as the test does tend to be ambiguous on a few questions

Good luck to all!

SpringbokCapt
17th Jan 2011, 04:05
Hey All! Did the online tech test last week and passed. If you read the instructions, it says that the passing grade is 66% which some of you have discovered is the MASTERY score. Got the call for a face to face interview on the 20th.
here are some of the questions
1. Rwy centerline lights last three thousand remaining? ( color)
2. Symbol for moderate icing
3. Symbol for sever squall line
4. On ILS31 JFK max hold speed in the hold
5. Final approach fix on the ILS31L JFK? What denotes the Final Approach Fix
6. Final approach fix on the ILS31L G/S INOP JFK?
7. CAT1 approach on short final WX 1600RVR in all zones. Do you continue or execute the missed
8. FL310, speed 540kts, descending to 16,000ft. How much time? Basically Time, Speed, Distance Calc
9. Metar winds reports are true or magnetic?
10. Metar winds if light and variable definition?
12. TAF from what time to what time winds will be XYZ station?
13. TAF from what time to what time it will be MIFG?
14. Balance field lengths? for wet rwy? how much correction can you take to reduce your V1?
14. when you are descending to altitude, you set what? QNE? QNF? QNH?
15. When you are climbing to FL ,you set what? QNH? QNE? QNF? Remember Qnh=here QNE=enroute
16. Question about current barometric pressure calculation on a given day?pressure altitude calc
17. How to find ISA Temp at given altitude.( FL310 temp-40c)Standard Lapse rate
18. symbol "V" means what? verga? Fog? volcanic ash? etc
19. what is screen height? on given rwy?
20. Two engine climb gradient?
21. Given wind speed and direction on approach, want to know if can expect different rwy with wind limit of 10kts tail wind? can you accept?
22. JFK chart (10-9) airport diagram want to know about enroute clearance? (which statement is true) basically you need route clearance before you request for taxi. Cpt
23. TAF wind direction is true or magnetic?
24. Jet engine bleed air valves are used for what? pick a statement.
25. On JFK approach chart for ILS31L and asked you are in hold and you lost your radio, when will you depart hold? (two answers are similar) pick the one which says depart hold close to the EFC.
26. On JFK approach chart ask when will you start the approach if given this clearance etc?
27. RVSM airspace separation and flight levels?
28. LRC if you have 50kts head wind what will you do? in order to meet the profile?
29. SLOP what is the deviation on each side and who has the authority?
30. If RVR is in effect what is controlling? Do you need deck ceiling or just vis?
31. Out of Zurich read some TAF forecast vis? ( make sure you pick the one in knots not km)? JAR ops
32. Again another Zurich TAF to find out what will be the weather in certain time window....e.i Becoming, Tempo, etc
33. Ops Spec can you amend your approach mins?
34. Trigger Notam for Zurich
35. North Atlantic Track- Standard Lateral Track Separation ie SLOP
36. JFK 20-2 FL310 descend to 11000 on a 3-1 descend path, how far out should you start down?
37. what happens to VMCG with an engine failure on T/O
38. Wind read out at 10000ft - 700mb chart
39. Symbol for Mod Turb
40. Symbol for T/S
41. Symbol for freezing rain

acer231
17th Jan 2011, 07:16
As in all FAA tests RFQ still applies

flybynight1
20th Jan 2011, 13:17
It was a nice interview tuesday. People real friendly. Atlas is a class act. Hoping for some good news next few weeks!

Fillmore Slim
21st Jan 2011, 12:54
flybynight1, I agree.....I was there as well on Tuesday, great people and friendly process. I also hope to hear something within the next 2 weeks.

Best of luck.

~Slim

EMBFlyer
21st Jan 2011, 14:51
Agreed! I was in there yesterday (Thursday) for the interview. Great group of people. I hope I hear something soon. It's going to be a long 2 weeks!

flybynight1
23rd Jan 2011, 11:56
Hey....just wondering. Anyone at the Tuesday interview, can you PM me the name of the gentleman that was conducting the HR background interview? For some reason I can not remember! And I need to call him. Real nice guy, was still flying day trips, and in HR and managment. You saw him just before or after the technical interview. Thank you!

flybynight1
26th Jan 2011, 13:54
Just heard that we will hear something by the end of next week! Good luck to all.

EMBFlyer
27th Jan 2011, 00:01
Excellent! Hopefully it's good news!

Fillmore Slim
3rd Feb 2011, 17:57
Hey guys, letters were sent out today for those that interviewed in January. Made it to the pool, best of luck to you all.

Vitals

Phone screen.....Dec
online assessment....Jan
interviewed...Jan
pool letter...Feb

>4000 TT, >2000 PIC, all heavy international.

ElectricWhale
13th Feb 2011, 04:27
Thanks for the update, Slim.

I'm STILL standing by for the call ...

JCUERVO
1st Mar 2011, 18:55
Hello everyone, I have a few questions for the ppl in the know at Atlas...
1) If assigned the -200 is there a transfer policy to the -400? (expected time)
2) Which base does most of the DXB flying? Is there any way to bid for trips that start and finish in DXB?
3) Is there a difference between block hours flown on the -200 and the -400?

Thanks for the help!

anothercargopilot
1st Mar 2011, 19:39
Jcuervo,

1) When the -200 goes away. One year....Two years? You will get off the -200 when Atlas decides you can bid off.
2) I would say JFK which is also the largest base. But ANC and HSV get to Dubai as well. Some trips start with a deadhead JFK to Europe or Dubai, but there aren't many. The base system and gateway travel is geared for US residents. Overseas residents have to get to the US then the company will buy a ticket to where the aircraft is. If the first operating leg is in Europe or elsewhere then travel will most likely pay for a ticket as long as it is same or cheaper than what is scheduled (international travel is business class, domestic is coach). I know a guy who lives in Dubai and lets scheduling know at every opportunity he lives there and is available to fly in and out of there and invariably has to self-commute to the US to start. Go figure.
3) YES. It seems the -200 guys rarely break guarantee (50 hours first year, 62 hours after) and deadhead alot (DH pay 1 for 3) and have long layovers. -400 folks tend to be busier and have many more minimum rests but have many more opportunities to go over guarantee.

Don't base your decision on a job whether or not you get assigned the -200. You are very likely to get the -400 OR maybe a "light twin" if you join sometime this late summer or fall.

Keep in mind that a new contract is a mere few months away and all expectations are for better pay and work rules (already agreed to but not disclosed by union or company). Only scope and a few minor issues went to the arbitrator unresolved.

Hope this helps.

ACP

JCUERVO
2nd Mar 2011, 04:58
Thanks for the insight ACP!

ElectricWhale
10th Mar 2011, 05:01
Got the call; Took the test!

1st App 7/15/10
updated every 4-6 weeks
FAQ and fresh res in Dec
Called 3/7/11
Test 3/9/11
passed 82%

Standing by ...

vitals
TT 9000+
PIC 4000+
TPIC 1800+
6 types (incl 744)
2 internals
heavy 121 global
all civ

EW

maxcackel
10th Mar 2011, 18:23
How do you know you got an 82? Are they back to posting the scores? The only thing you could see for the last several months is the mastery score of 66. Thanks

ElectricWhale
13th Mar 2011, 05:45
If you hunt around long enough on the test website, you'll find it. It is three or four steps from the sign in page. I can't quite remember the sequence, but if I can find it, anyone can ;)
Just keep looking.

btw
I think the last step is clicking on the red "test number" ...

EW

billonearth
14th Mar 2011, 11:03
Anyone interviewed with Atlas recently? I am trying to find out if they have a sim eval. Seems they did in the past but I think I read somewhere they no longer have one.

JCUERVO
14th Mar 2011, 12:45
Bill,

Nope, no more Sim. Eval...Straight forward HR/TECH face to face interview (After Phone interview and Online tech test). Lots of details on a few other sites...Good luck!

ElectricWhale
19th Mar 2011, 18:25
Billonearth,

One page back on this very thread there are representative Atlas test questions and specific links to all kinds of other Atlas information.

I believe Atlas, like many other airlines, looks for people who are proactive about gathering information about their company and resourceful enough to find it. And there's plenty to find.

Good luck!

ForzaLazio
28th Aug 2011, 15:00
on a side note: are MNPS requirements the same as RVSM? thank you

WhaleDriver
28th Aug 2011, 16:19
Two differant animals. MNPS is Nav requirements, RVSM is altitude.

ForzaLazio
29th Aug 2011, 01:50
where do I find the requirements for MNPS? I've been looking but I can only find long pdf documents... thank you

unwashed
29th Aug 2011, 04:20
I have had this for a few years, MNPSA_2009.pdf
www.ibac.org (http://www.%3Cb%3Eibac.org%3C/b%3E)/.../2010/08/NAT-MNPS-Manual-Edition-2009.pdf
also try the panels on the Canadian and North Atlantic charts

atpcliff
29th Aug 2011, 04:20
I have been at Atlas for about a year.

Atlas is good-very good relatively. The new contract will be out in less than 3 weeks, according to the arbiter himself. It has a daily trip rig so we will be guaranteed a daily rate for each day we are away from home. 13 days on the daily rate will put us at guarantee, and we owe the company 17 days, so you will be over guarantee if you are gone more than 13 days. If you are on "R1-Home Reserve", you do NOT get the daily rig.

Everyone now has gateway.

There are 3 passenger planes operating, and sounds like plans for at least 8 pax planes, and rumours of over 20. We are adding more -400 freighters, more LCFs, and the 747-8s: 12 on order, 14 options. The first 767s will be PAX aircraft.

Mgmt pilot relationships are good, relative to other US airlines. Pay is 2nd highest in the US for 747s (after UPS). Base pay IS somewhat low relative to worldwide pay.

Jan-May I average 17 days at home. I usually get home 1 or 2 days early off my trips. Sometimes I airline late on my last day off, sometimes on my first day on. They airline you from your gateway to where you start your trip, then from where you end to your gateway. Most people's gateway is their home airport, or one relatively nearby.

Jun I had about 20,000 miles credit on UAL. I made the first level of Frequent Flyer status on UAL in Jul, and will make the 1st status on DAL soon. I may may make 2nd tier status on UAL...won't make it on AA. Usually you don't get credit on your hotel frequent stay plan...but sometimes you do, and you get it if you spend money in the hotel.

Your schedule WILL change multiple times, often multiple times in a day. You know (usually) when your days on are, and when your days off are. I was extended 3 days into my days off in July. I was extended I think 1 day prior to July (flying since Dec). They CAN extend your 17 days on by 4 days, and they have to pay a lot. Theoretically, you could get assigned two back-to-back schedules of 17 days in a row and be out 34 days in a row. I did a 32 day trip by choice to get the last two weeks of a month off for vacation with my family (without using any vacation days). Trips range from 1 day-30+ days. "Normal" is 6-15 days. I have done a 1 day trip, but they are not common unless you are based and live in MIA. I am based in NYC, but hardly ever go there. My last trip started in ANC and ended in ORD. Next trip starts CVG and ends in JFK. Next trip after than starts ORD ends JFK. I had a trip end in MEL, and they airlined me on UAL MEL-SYD-LAX-ORD-GRB...business class the 1st two legs (normally domestic flying is coach).

Atlas is charter, and when the customer asks to change/add a trip, they try their best, which is one reason why the schedule changes a lot! We fly everywhere except Antarctica, but don't do much US-US flying (but my last trip was SEA-CHS-SEA).

cliff
KGRB
PS-If u want more info, PM me.

Oceanman
29th Aug 2011, 13:41
ForzaLazio

There is info regarding MNPS in chapter 8 of this ICAO document.

regards

retired Shanwick controller

Oceanman
29th Aug 2011, 13:44
ForzaLazio

There is info regarding MNPS in chapter 8 of this ICAO document.

Document (http://www.paris.icao.int/documents_open/show_file.php?id=353)

regards

retired Shanwick controller

ForzaLazio
31st Aug 2011, 21:45
thank you very much guys for the info on MNPS

FlyBoxes
31st Aug 2011, 23:20
I had heard that the interview has now dropped the sim eval. I also heard they don't request log books, true? But you have to do a flight time matrix that they want filled out there. If so, how accurate does that need to be? # of landings, etc? broken down by type, day night etc.?

also, anyone know what the status of the contract is? I heard going to a 14/14 schedule and 83 hour guarantee, but then I read 50 hour guarantee elsewhere.. any word?

thanks

FB

CAO
1st Sep 2011, 17:53
14/14 schedule? Not quite!!

All the crew domiciles have enough choices of flying and reserve blocks that with a year or two of longevity, most are getting their choices of days at home. Getting the trips you want is a different story...

CAO
1st Sep 2011, 17:54
50-hour guarantee during the first year, and then 62 hour guarantee.

First year pay is the same for 747 and 767...after that, the 747 rates are about 14% higher.

tenaca1000
2nd Sep 2011, 13:59
I was in the Aug 24th interview day. Any one else in that interview hear anything yet? I'm still waiting on a letter.

FlyBoxes
2nd Sep 2011, 19:59
thanks for the answers... quick follow up.

About how many actual hours of flying do you get in on a typical pattern? 30-40? or more? How long are the typical layovers?

thanks

MarkerInbound
3rd Sep 2011, 19:45
There is no standard answer. Some months can be 35, the next month 90. Some layovers are 12 hours, some are 5 days.

Turtle91
25th Sep 2011, 22:41
Hi all,
I just spoke with someone who is providing me with an internal rec!! I hope to receive a call to take the test very soon. I have been studying but I'm not sure if the pdf's I have are the most up-to-date guidance. Does anyone have a list of links where I can download the latest on weather symbols, NATS procedures, MNPS, etc. for review?

Thanks!

ce650flyer
3rd Aug 2012, 15:58
Hello everyone,

I heard Atlas is starting to interview again in the fall. Has anyone been lately that would have fresh gouge (online test, essay, interview)???

Just trying to stay current, hoping for the call.

Thanks

CL65Driver1234
3rd Aug 2012, 16:52
Will Atlas consider calling international number for their phone interview?
THX

CAO
4th Aug 2012, 06:49
In the interest of pilots helping pilots...I am posting a link to another forum. I hope I'm not offending the pprune folks here by this, but I hope that they understand...

Your questions about the Atlas hiring process in the last couple of years can be found at Airline Pilot Central Forums (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html) and you can figure out if Atlas is a good fit for you...

Good luck.

CAO
4th Aug 2012, 06:51
CL65,

I don't know if they will call out of the US for any of the phone calls...not that they won't, I just don't know the answer to that question. Others might be able to answer that question...

TimmyR
21st Aug 2012, 02:46
+1...it's all there. Start on page 1 and read it. Great forum full of great info.

Airlegs
20th Jan 2013, 16:59
What about the 10 year background check? For those of us who have been working outside of the USA for 10 years. Anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thank you.

Lowrider2
21st Jan 2013, 11:34
Tell the truth.
If you get caught in a lie, its over.

flyingsaucer
25th Jan 2013, 18:29
Hello,

I got the screening call and I am now preparing for the online test.
Anyone can maybe pm me with the best and fastest way to pass.

Thanks

flite idol
26th Jan 2013, 00:13
pm me with the best and fastest way to pass

Dont`fail in a timely fashion.:rolleyes:

flyingsaucer
2nd Feb 2013, 12:38
Hi

Anyone who recently went through the interview process could chime me in regarding what to expect.
What kind of tech questions to review and what type of hr questions are asked?

Thanks

MarkerInbound
4th Feb 2013, 10:10
Go to the link on page 5 of this thread. There's 500 pages of info on Atlas, including posts from pilots who interviewed in the last couple months.

El_piloto
27th Feb 2013, 13:49
Hello Guys n Gals,

I read page 5 regarding the 60 question screen evaluation. Just wondering if anyone has taken the eval recently in 2013 and has any additional info, suggestions, etc...

Captain Biggles84
13th Mar 2013, 11:53
Question,

Im an Australian who easily meets the requirements bar the right to live and work in the US. Im assuming its a longshot, but would ATLAS ever sponsor a successful pilot to obtain a VISA to work in the US. I used to work at Syd airport and speak to ATLAS crews all the time and the flying the guys would do seemed appealing. Plus a nice change to what i have been doing?

Cheers

Po Boy
14th Mar 2013, 00:55
but would ATLAS ever sponsor a successful pilot to obtain a VISA to work in the U.S.

Not gonna happen, sorry............just answering your question

thelostsoldier
15th Mar 2013, 06:19
Been in the ME for last 4 years flying a330/#340. Have a interview coming up with Atlas. Any recommendations as to what the focus is on the test/interview? not looking for answers but need to know direction to review.

Also if anyone can responde, what type of schedule/pay can i look at if on the B767 vs B747.

i am a former Ca, now flying as an FO with +12000 total time.

Just tired of being away from the Land of the Free.

Thank you in advance for your responses and input.

:ok:

MarkerInbound
16th Mar 2013, 20:16
There's a thread on Airline Pilot Central about the interviews.

Some of the the 767 flying is domestic night hub turns for DHL out of CVG. Some is international PAX.

First year guarantee is 50 hours a month at $75.75 for both planes. But there's a rig that pays an hour's pay for every 4.95 hours away from base. So unless you get stuck sitting reserve in base you'll beat guarantee after 10 days. Second year and beyond the guarantee is 62 hours a month so it takes 13 days on the road to better it. Second year -400 is ~90 an hour and the 76 pays 92% of -400 pay.

flite idol
17th Mar 2013, 01:09
So unless you get stuck sitting reserve in base

Incorrect....you still get the 4.95 for sitting reserve (R2) in base. You do not get it for R1......home reserve.

MarkerInbound
18th Mar 2013, 01:24
Thanks, I try to avoid my base.

CAO
18th Mar 2013, 18:11
Airline Pilot Central Forums (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html)

Atlas Hiring mega thread...good luck.

atpcliff
5th Feb 2014, 15:42
Atlas is hiring now...

Minimums are:
2000 Total Time
500 Turbine Total (no PIC required)
a few pilots have been hired with no turbine PIC. Most hired are US regional captains, military, and corporate pilots...most with jet PIC.

weare138
17th Sep 2014, 12:30
Does anybody have any recent information on the Atlas interview format?

Has anyone taken the online test recently that could offer some insight?

Is the interview the same as it was in the past?

There seems to be a lack of RECENT gouge information on Atlas.

Any help would be appreciated!

txflyer39
14th Oct 2014, 12:19
I scored my test in low 70s, however havent heard back from Atlas yet. I guess i missed October interviews. How soon they ussualy contact you for phone interview after passing 100 question online assesment?

Intruder
14th Oct 2014, 16:41
Rumor at the breakfast table yesterday was that they're done hiring for the year. Other rumor is that they're running 12% short on FO's...

Reality is that with the seat locks expiring for the initial 767 cadre, any new base bid will trigger a heavy migration to the 747, and they can't afford that during the 4th quarter rush. So unless they want to beef up the 767 fleet, they may well try to hold off 'til January...

txflyer39
15th Oct 2014, 00:10
I folloeed up a couple of times and sent my rec letter to HR lady, but did not hear back. I got a couple more opportunities, but i do not know what my statys is. I know few guys that passed initial test but never got phone interview after that.

atpcliff
16th Oct 2014, 00:29
Last I heard they are hiring as many pilots for the 767 as they can train thru the end of the year. Max pilot hiring just like DAL and UAL. Nobody has enough pilots.

Intruder
16th Oct 2014, 18:00
20 more 767 new hires show on the base bid released yesterday. No training dates, though...

Ozpilot414
16th Nov 2014, 14:34
Have the Online line assessment to do... any new info on this test?

armyofone_thatsme
21st Jan 2015, 20:06
Hi all,

Just got the okay from Atlas to take the 60 question test. Anyone have any advice or help on this? PM me if you do. Thanks!

Sj30pilot
10th Feb 2015, 04:38
Hi,
I just got the email to take the test, anyone taken it recently...any help greatly appreciated! PM please....
Thank you!

Pilotgirl27
20th Mar 2015, 03:10
Did you get any help with the test? I am looking for some help with the type of questions that might be on it.

WorldwideT
24th Mar 2015, 01:12
Anyone have info on the written pre interview exam?

acer231
24th Mar 2015, 23:29
I took the test in December, scored 72%, and haven't heard a word...:{

flite idol
25th Mar 2015, 07:01
Atlas Air Hiring - Airline Pilot Central Forums (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html)

El_piloto
5th Jan 2016, 21:34
Hello All,
Any new developments about the interview process and phone interview at Atlas. I noticed the thread is about a year old :ugh:

atpcliff
6th Jan 2016, 20:53
The hiring has been ramped up to a much higher level than ever. They are trying really hard to expand a lot, as there are many contracts open if we can add enough pilots.

Now taking a lot of guys with no jet time, no turbine pic, and no time above 18,000', + no international experience. They have changed the training to get guys with much lower experience through class. 747 upgrade under 5 years...767 about 4??? Years. -777s coming this year.

Bought a 767 SIM, and another 747 electronic cockpit trainer. Training in 3 places in MIA, plus ANC and DEN. Considering LUX for more sim time.

Adding aircraft, instructors, check airman, support people, etc. Contract negotiations underway...6 months early.

IPads for line pilots to use with no paper this month. Total revamp of all manuals in process. "Next Gen" CDUs hardware and software coming to all aircraft. Flows and checklists for all three aircraft to be as standardized as possible.

PM me if you have specific questions.

trancada
7th Jan 2016, 09:11
But the only point is that you must be US National.
Are they accepting expat?
Do they have plans to open a base in Europe?

Fr8Dog
7th Jan 2016, 13:16
atpcliff

Now taking a lot of guys with no jet time, no turbine pic, and no time above 18,000', + no international experience. They have changed the training to get guys with much lower experience through class. 747 upgrade under 5 years...767 about 4??? Years. -777s coming this year.

Just because Scott Anderson told you this BS in class I would not believe it .

But you always like to spread the gossip don't you?

Requirements are STILL 1500 TT minimum and 500 turbine! :ugh:

atpcliff
8th Jan 2016, 00:51
You DO need an ATP for atlas, but there is no PIC requirement, and no jet time required, and no requirement to fly above 18,000. Like the rest of the industry, we are getting less and less experienced applicants and new hires as time goes on.

You need a U.S. passport or green card...sorry if you don't have one of these.

Armchair Astronaut
19th Jan 2016, 00:08
Greetings Friends,

Anyone interviewing in Miami on Wednesday? Maybe I'll see you there!

Cheers,

AA

Loader1
19th Jan 2016, 13:44
Atlas buys Southern Air...
Atlas Air to acquire Southern Air for $110m (http://theloadstar.co.uk/atlas-air-to-acquire-southern-air-for-110m/)

Armchair Astronaut
23rd Jan 2016, 02:32
For those that interviewed this past week, it was nice to meet several of you. I am thrilled to be in the hiring pool now, and I hope to see some familiar faces when we get a class date!

Regards,

AA

Lowrider2
25th Jan 2016, 15:03
If invited to an Atlas interview, remember, everyone you come in contact with is part of the process. Any one of them can say NO. So watch what you say even during the facility tour.

JobFairInformant
9th Mar 2016, 13:15
Some facts to consider if considering a job at Atlas.

[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/mar68/20160308_084358%201.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/mar68/media/20160308_084358%201.jpg.html)

atpcliff
9th Mar 2016, 16:58
I just found this re the online test:

ProPilotWorld.com (http://forums.propilotworld.com/showthread.php?103733-Atlas-Assessment)

9Jan2016
First_at_Flight
propilotworld.com

100 questions 60 minutes
When using the FAA ATP focus on WX, Aerodynamics, Runways/Airport markings, lighting and signage, Flight physiology (most questions seem to have come from these categories)
Seemed up to 75% of questions asked were from ATP bank alone.
Questions that were not from this bank included
Difference between QNE, QNH
NAT Deviation procedures
JEPP chart symbols and interpretation (believe most were departures from JFK)
Wx Chart Symbols (for this I had a poster board with printed out symbol and abbreviation banks from ICAO and FAA publication you can find by googling)
The different climb segments and how they are calculated and terms used to describe them
Metric conversions ie, mb to ft
RVS conversion to SM

I felt completely comfortable taking the test after 4 days of studying ATP questions and the older material that is floating around

Hope this helps

9Jan2016
wingedmunkie

The test bank seems to vary, whether it's tailored to your background I can't say. That said, when I took the test in November there was not a single question referencing anything beyond U.S. borders. Lots of ATP style questions. Lots of weather products (text and graphic), instrument procedures, and aerodynamics. Lots of people claim to do it as a team effort; I did not, thinking it would slow me down but I still passed. The time goes fast though. Best advice I can give is to pick the low hanging fruit first and then go back for the rest; don't spend time trying to look things up unless you know exactly where to find the answer. Good luck!

atpcliff
9th Mar 2016, 17:01
Southern has 5 777s, and 5 737s.

Atlas mgmt wants us to merge, and then work on a contract...probably end up with a crappy contract that way.

Pilots want to finish their negotiations on the contract, then merge...probably get a better contract that way.

I think long term Atlas will be better, but short term it is messy!

The new contract will be better, in my opinion, BUT:
A little better, or a LOT better, that is the $1M+++ USD question!

Intruder
17th Mar 2016, 05:36
For those thinking about coming to Atlas, new info from the ExCo, cleared for general publication. In today's hiring binge, you may have better options:

Chairman’s Update

Dear Fellow Atlas Crew Members,

I want to take a moment to brief you on a very disappointing set of events that have taken place over the past two days here in New York City. Your negotiating team came to New York with the expectation of continuing good faith Section 6 negotiations for the purpose of reaching an amended CBA. On the first day, Monday, March 14, the company did not meet with us until 4:44 p.m., and then only to tell us that they had no response to the four outstanding CBA articles which the union negotiating team had presented to them last month. It was obvious that the company had done no work on any of it and, again, was unprepared. This, despite the company’s assurances at the last meeting that its negotiators would return with Article 30 (Uniforms) and respond to the Framework Agreement that we had provided to the company’s senior representatives this past December. Quite simply, the company again reneged on its commitments.

At Monday’s late, abbreviated meeting, the company indicated that it would not be responding to any articles which the union had presented and would not be presenting any proposals of its own either. The company stated that it would, however, respond to the union’s framework proposal on how to proceed with Section 6 negotiations for both the Atlas and Southern pilots.

On Tuesday, March 15, at approximately 3:00 p.m. Local 1224 President Captain Dan Wells received a last minute call from John Dietrich advising that the company would attempt to force the union and the Atlas and Southern Air pilots into an amalgamation process. Dietrich’s plan is to force the pilots to pay for Atlas’ $110 million cash acquisition of SAI and to pay for the more than $100 million in litigation settlement payments and FAA fines that it has racked up over the last few months. Dietrich’s focus is, therefore, to once again deny the Atlas pilots our rightful ability to proceed down the Section 6 negotiations path. A few minutes later, at around 3:15 p.m., the Atlas managers, their lawyers and agents entered for the first time of the day to present their version of what they are calling a “Transition Agreement”. This document is punitive, anti-union, underhanded, and possibly illegal for many reasons.

It is clear that the company is attempting to undermine and suppress the legal rights of our crew members. The path suggested by the company will devastate and set back, in a very detrimental fashion, the lives and careers of most of our pilots.

It is now time for you to voice your displeasure to the company. We must and will remain professional at all times, but we must lawfully and firmly let management know that we will not accept their assault on our jobs, our wages, our benefits and our profession. If we don’t, we will be stuck with our current CBA or something less. The company says it recognizes that the world has changed and is not seeking to cut our pilots’ wages and benefits, but history tells us that Dietrich’s words are meaningless. Our CBA is the product of an amalgamation/interest arbitration, and the company and its lawyers maneuvered that process to obtain sub-standard, arbitrator-imposed contract terms that we are now stuck under. The amalgamation/interest arbitration that the company is pushing for now would require an arbitrator to choose terms from our sub-standard CBA or worse, Southern Air’s bankruptcy contract. The company anticipates that it will take 12-15 months to reach its objective. That timeline is based on the company’s intention to force the pilots to accept it. The company has also indicated that if we do not accept its plan, the process will drag on for many, many years. The company’s entire approach is not acceptable.

I will have more details as we move forward. I can assure you that this EXCO and your union will fight tooth and nail with everything at our disposal and more. However, we cannot do this without you doing the same. The time is now to engage forcefully in what will be a long, hard-fought war between Atlas Air and us, the crew members.

Fraternally,

Captain Robert J. Kirchner
Executive Council Chairman
APA Teamsters Local 1224

flysd
18th Mar 2016, 23:23
Amalgamation means PAYCUT for the ones that don't know

Intruder
19th Mar 2016, 01:21
Not for the Southern guys...

flysd
25th Mar 2016, 21:40
http://www.atlasfacts.org

trancada
26th Mar 2016, 19:15
After reading some articles, working conditions and contracts are bad.
I meet a crew in Luanda, Angola they fly from Houston to Luanda weekly, and one first officer told me that they shall return home, but company could change their plans and stay away from home 1 or 2 weeks.

Lowrider2
26th Mar 2016, 21:53
Don't believe everything you read about Atlas. Not a bad place to work, but remember it is basically in the non-sched business but does also have plenty of sched. stuff. If you want Fedex or UPS type flying Atlas is not for you.

Intruder
26th Mar 2016, 22:35
Actually, the CVG 767 flying IS "FedEx or UPS type flying" for DHL!

You may also have a skewed view of the ACMI business. Probably 60-75% of Atlas' business is scheduled, albeit on a quarterly or monthly basis. Most long-term ACMI and CMI customers have relatively stable schedules. For Atlas, those include DHL, SonAir, Panalpina, and AMC. Qantas and Boeing allude to stable schedules, but have more variation than the others.

flysd
28th Mar 2016, 20:11
Compare retirement plans.
Compare DAL, UAL, FedEx.
Compare
Compare
Compare

Lowrider2
30th Mar 2016, 21:10
Maybe Atlas is the only one hiring! I'm sure almost all pilots would rather work for United, Delta, UPS, or Fedex. Does not seem there are enough positions for everyone at those companies. Guess I would just sit a home waiting for the call from one of them.

flysd
1st Apr 2016, 13:52
Projected hiring at the 3 legacies / FX / UPS is in the thousands for the next few years. Sooner or later they will call.

flite idol
1st Apr 2016, 15:22
Does anyone really want to get into the middle of this?

DHL under fire as American pilots eye strike action over German influence on US airlines - The Loadstar (http://theloadstar.co.uk/dhl-fire-american-pilots-eye-strike-action-german-influence-us-airlines/)

MarkerInbound
2nd Apr 2016, 06:02
The Loadstar needs to learn US labor law if they're going to write about it. The 30 day "cooling down period" before a strike comes into play after a federal mediator declares the parties are at an impasse. The mediator doesn't show up until the parties stop making progress on their own. It's normal for airline contract talks to go on 2 or 3 years. Atlas just started the end of last year. It'll be a boiling pot for the foreseeable future.

zerozero
2nd Apr 2016, 15:08
The "normal" years long pace of contract negotiations is only thanks to management dragging their feet in order to realize additional "savings" by operating under a cheaper contract. The union is prepared to expedite negotiations but only for FAIR INDUSTRY STANDARD TERMS.

Unfortunately, the opportunity cost here for everyone are the customer contracts NOT signed (Amazon) because the company is sorely understaffed and poorly managed during the recent growth phase.

Why are they poorly staffed and missing opportunities for more growth? Because of the same cheap contract that they insist on dragging out as long as they can.

This is called: Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

All you have to do in order to prove this point is to compare recent ATSG stock price action to AAWW. Clear as day.

Oh, and guess which crews are more expensive? Further proving the ability to attract customers is NOT based on crew costs but the ABILITY TO DELIVER.

At this point, Atlas is failing to deliver on several different levels.

3pointlanding
14th Apr 2016, 15:03
Idol
There is a lot more than meets the eye here. DHL bought a 49% operational interest in Polar (who was bought by Atlas). They have a lot of influence on corporate decisions with regards to operations.
And to the union position on substandard, I know Bob K. and it is not only pay that is substandard but the QOL is way down the list of desirable Atlas traits. You mentioned UPS and FedEx. While i do not much about UPS I do know the average flying line at FedEx is 24 hours. Try that with an ACMI carrier. Atlas will never ever catch up and have no reason to. FedEx is hiring a class of 30 a month with no end in sight. I suggest you give them a go. It is a thousand times better deal. And FedEX DOES NOT FURLOUGH, period

atlast
15th Apr 2016, 15:11
Southern and ATLAS/POLAR are together as one.
Now, when you turn up for class, excited about the 747, be ready for 737 Class.
Based in CVG working ONLY the vampire night sort on short Legs for 20 day blocks.
Rig Works out to guarantee. The guarantee is $59.42 hour on 60 hours p/m and you will not break guarantee.
Oh and if that ain't enough, welcome to a three year seat lock.

When the dust settles and a contract is signed, then, reconsider.

Respectfully
Atlast

Lowrider2
17th Apr 2016, 12:52
Here are the scales.

Intruder
19th Apr 2016, 23:28
Southern and ATLAS/POLAR are together as one.
Now, when you turn up for class, excited about the 747, be ready for 737 Class.
Based in CVG working ONLY the vampire night sort on short Legs for 20 day blocks.
Absolutely NOT TRUE!

ONLY the preliminary purchase has been completed - Atlas Holdings bought Southern Holdings. Southern Air still is a COMPLETELY SEPARATE airline with a COMPLETELY SEPARATE hiring and training track, done by entirely different people.

Operations as a single airline under a single certificate are AT LEAST a year in the future, likely longer.

Keelhaul
19th Apr 2016, 23:37
Training separate, yes. Hiring, now under control of atlas. All of our interviewing has been put on "hold"

negativeclimb
5th May 2016, 21:55
To be considered, do they want to be US citizen???

MarkerInbound
6th May 2016, 04:12
You must be "Legally authorized to work in the United States." Translates as a citizen or a "green card" holder which means you are a permanent resident.

WYOMINGPILOT
6th May 2016, 05:24
Good News for the Atlas pilots as Amazon has agreed to wet lease 20 more 767s. This should increase newhires for the foreseeable future.
Amazon agrees to contract 20 767 freighters from Atlas Air | Airframes content from ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/airframes/amazon-agrees-contract-20-767-freighters-atlas-air)

Intruder
6th May 2016, 19:29
"Good news"? I don't think so. At this point I'd call it more of a pipe dream...

There is still a 4-month backlog in OE, and the May class was cancelled. It is VERY difficult to understand how the company will staff 20 more airplanes, especially when the contract negotiations are stalled.

flaphandlemover
6th Aug 2016, 09:17
are there any updates on interview questions?

Intruder
6th Aug 2016, 23:49
How about an update on training jeopardy:

Atlas Executive Council Flight Action Alert (FAA)

Atlas Crew Members,

This action alert is to advise you of a recent turn of events regarding B-747 training. The FAA has recently instituted enhanced training requirements for flight crews and in particular with respect to First Officer PC Check Rides. Apparently, this relates to the company’s unwillingness to negotiate an appropriate AQP program, as a vast number of carriers in the industry have already done in order to enhance their training programs.

It appears that from this point forward, first officers on the B-747 will be required to complete a PIC check ride on their PC. You should all be ready to take this type of check ride, in addition to an extended and enhanced oral examination. The company, with the FAA observing, has run a few tests of this new requirement and the results have not gone well. You can expect the FAA to sit in on your check rides on a more frequent basis going forward, especially during the initial stages of this transition to the agency’s enhanced requirements.

The recent increase in failures underscores the fact that our crews, and in particular our first officers, are being required to take check rides for which they are not adequately prepared.

It is the union’s position that these problems are, in part, attributable to the poor quality of our simulators, inadequate training provided to the FOs for this requirement, a lack of familiarity and experience of flying from the left seat, and a rapid change in the training program and the requirements needed from our pilots.

The union considers this a serious problem that can have serious adverse consequences on a pilot’s career. Indeed, as a pilot progresses in his or her career, their path to advancement might be curtailed by a training failure on their record that should never have happened if he or she had received adequate training and support in the first place. As a result, we have taken immediate action to rectify this issue.

A letter was sent yesterday to Captain Jeff Carlson, SVP Flight Operations, requesting the following training measures be instituted immediately:

1) An additional simulator session to bring the FOs up to a level of proficiency to fly this check ride (PC & RFT). Also, this extra simulator session should be comprised of the same crew that will be working together on that particular PC or RFT.

2) An independent company, approved by the union, be brought in to evaluate and issue a report that will detail what is needed to bring the current simulators at Atlas and Pan Am up to industry and FAA standards.

3) An in-depth oral prep ground school instruction period to bring our pilots up to speed on items to be covered on the newly expanded oral exam.

The union will work quickly and proactively to get this problem corrected and under control. If you have any concerns that you may not be properly prepared for a training event, we encourage you to get in touch with the union’s Training Committee for assistance.

We will update you further as this situation evolves.

mustangsally
10th Aug 2016, 19:37
Intruder, forget about it! Atlas will not even sit down with the pilot's union to even try to get the ball rolling on a new contract. With so many other companies hiring crews, I would put Atlas at the absolute bottom of any company to be considered. Most of the other airlines are almost proactive in working with the unions on a new contract. Not this Atlas management.

Atlas pilots with five or six years of seniority are jumping ship. If it is a good company to work for, why would they give up six years of seniority?

Atlas could be a very good company to join, but wait till the new contract is signed. If you join Atlas now and there happens to be a strike, and you have not completed your first year, you will be held hostage by the company and if you refuse to cross a legal picket line you will be fired. Best look for greener pastures.

The Visionary
3rd Sep 2016, 09:24
Well something better happen as they are using Atlas to outsource our flying.

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/583892-end-freighters.html

cargohauler13
7th Oct 2016, 23:45
I heard that the 747 FO's at Atlas never get to fly because the CA's always take the few landings avail. Anyone know if true?

Intruder
8th Oct 2016, 21:57
Not true. [+10 char]

Aloha_KSA
3rd Jun 2017, 03:02
Well, if anyone is taking the Atlas online assessment in spite of reading the above and the 1600 page thread over at Airline Pilot (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/51254-atlas-air-hiring.html) I would suggest you get a second laptop or computer handy and pull up the JFK charts. The ones in the test were illegible on my computer, so I used this: https://yinlei.org/x-plane10/jep/KJFK.pdf
Many q's on 3 to 1 (1/2 groundspeed) descent, if told to cross XYZ fix via ABC fix how many dme from ABC will you start your descent? Weather symbols, metars, tafs as expected. Rule of thumb for converting kts to miles per minute - at least 3 or 4 q's on that. Some aerodynamic stuff and jet engine stuff as predicted. Mostly straight from the ATPL question bank. Keep a note pad handy to write down any doubtful question numbers to go back later if you have time. I finished all 100 in time with an 84%, but you have to be willing to "hit it and move on!" Don't linger... (average time available to complete each question = 36 seconds...).

Also, check to make sure that FLASH works on your browser BEFORE starting the test. https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

If I go to Atlas I hope to make as many friends as possible as soon as possible before they leave for the career airlines. Beers on me! ;)

Sharonmartin
3rd Jun 2017, 09:59
Thanks a lots for your advice .

JAYO
11th Sep 2017, 18:22
Please can someone tell me what to read for my ATLAS air online assessment? I don't know where to find materials online