PDA

View Full Version : website software

jxc
9th Aug 2010, 16:00
I am looking for an idiots proof way of building a website to use as shopping site
for the sale of wine
is there a simple package without having to get a company to do it

Cheers

BOAC
9th Aug 2010, 16:12
Have you had your daily Google today? 'freeware online shopping' or similar.

mixture
9th Aug 2010, 16:26
without having to get a company to do it

Ecommerce on the cheap ?

Data Protection Act, PCI DSS etc .etc.

Do it on the cheap and it's going to come back and bite you on the backside. Someone's going to come along an nick your database via a SQL injection attack that a five year old could have avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to spend millions. I'm just saying it's probably worthwile spending a little bit of money on an established piece of software that has been around a while.....

You should preferably also have a budget for regular penetration testing (NOT just simplistic automated vulnerability scans) if you are planning to make a serious ecommerce business out of this venture.

Sorry, but it's the facts. Ecommerce in 2010 is highly compeitive, and operates in an environment where security exploits take ever less effort to deploy. You've got a lot of challenges as an e-commerce newcomer..... I assume you've got no pre-existing established brand that will drive traffic to your site .... in which case security becomes an even greater aspect of gaining the trust of potential shoppers.

Whichever way you choose to go..... good luck !

BOAC
9th Aug 2010, 16:40
True of course, but at the level I think we are at, unlikely. No 1 son wot does website design etc ran with a 'free' software' esales programme for a while, but now has lashed out and bought a better package. The free ones are fine if their limitations do not bother you.

mixture
9th Aug 2010, 16:52
The otherway to do it is just to outsource it and hence make it someone else's baby.

Google "hosted ecommerce".....one example I found....

Paypoint Ecommerce Solutions (http://www.paypoint.net/solutions/ecommerce-solutions/)

Looks reasonably cheap.

(Never used them, have nothing to do with them, so not a recommmendation of any sort.)

txdmy1
9th Aug 2010, 17:21
try this
x2cms.com
they do hosting as well

jxc
9th Aug 2010, 18:06
mixture: regular penetration testing

Now that's a great job title

jxc
9th Aug 2010, 18:53
x2cms .com

Does look good are there any Uk based ones ?
the site I was thinking of doing is

winewarehouse.co

and using as an affiliate site

Tone
9th Aug 2010, 18:55
Have a look at buildmy.com clever little package, quite cheap and they let you set up a dummy site for free to see what it would look like.

jxc
9th Aug 2010, 19:31
Tone do you make much cash on that site ?

Tone
10th Aug 2010, 19:23
jxc – I’m not sure what you mean, I have no connection with ‘buildmy’ at all (if that’s your drift). I was introduced to the site by a company who are using it very successfully. I tried it out but wasn’t quite what I was looking for.

mad_jock
10th Aug 2010, 21:54
Right this is proberly going to get me banned by someone.

One of the owners of highland aviation is a bit of a software engineer type.

HAve a look at the site and have a word with him.

I ain't a EPOS web server type person. Yes i can set up and admin an Apache server but what the web boys want to stick on it is all java to me :p

But!!! Dave does seem to know what he is doing with a hellava lot of the services he has developed that I have seen.

If you phone up just ask to speak to the resident software engineer that's ****e at landing.

This post isn't ment to be advertising as such its meant to put a small buisness user in touch with a fellow small buisness user for a solution.