PDA

View Full Version : I hate to highlight my ignorance, but....

G&T ice n slice
9th Aug 2010, 15:54
What exactly is a Thronomeister ?

There's a thread running in the TechLog :"737 Taxy Crabbing" and someone there was surprised that the 'crab' was nothing to do with the Thronomeisters....

I am guessing it is some German (?) invention to do with suspension or something. I can't find anything about these Thronomeisters in the Volvo V40 manual. Should the Volvo have these things?

Worried,
West Cumbria

MagnusP
9th Aug 2010, 16:00
It's the person in charge of thronos, innnit??

OFSO
9th Aug 2010, 16:05
A thronomeister is the German chap in charge of the team what builds the seat the Queen sits on at state functions.

Lon More
9th Aug 2010, 16:14
I can't find anything about these Thronomeisters in the Volvo V40 manual.
That's because the V40 was a Swedish design built in the Netherlands. Should have looked in a BMW manual. Full of useless carp, are BMWs.

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2010, 16:20
Isn't it an essential component that controls the speed of the conveyor?

I think we should be told.

Gainesy
9th Aug 2010, 16:22
I understand that they use them on the new-model London Underground trains now.

RegDep
9th Aug 2010, 16:23
You google it and get three returns: two to pprune and one to a blog of Neptunus Lex. Maybe Neptunus Rex' kid brother or alter ego. Should we page him?

Anyways, cannot be anything classified because we cannot find it in the WikiLeaks.

cavortingcheetah
9th Aug 2010, 16:23
In the older versions the Thronomeister is chain driven through a sold porcelain shaft leading to a wet sump system designed to prevent cavitation.

RegDep
9th Aug 2010, 16:27
Now we went from speechless to breathless.

Gainesy
9th Aug 2010, 16:57
"Speechless One, is this a practice speechless or a speechless speechless?":)

west lakes
9th Aug 2010, 17:03
I was always taught that it contained the smoke in electrical and electronic equipment.

BOAC
9th Aug 2010, 17:24
G&T - this forum applies the 'hotel lobby' rules and generally it is not considered acceptable to discuss this equipment in public. You need to do it by PM - try 411A - I bet he's got one.

Parapunter
9th Aug 2010, 17:26
Aw c'mon BOAC, that's a bit harsh. Especially as the throno's drive the falangees. Nothing rude about the falangees.

Ancient Observer
9th Aug 2010, 17:37
It's a typo.
It derives from the classic Liverpool threat which is issued just before your wheels, mobile and wallet are nicked..........

"Throno, mister??"

RegDep
9th Aug 2010, 17:38
Gainesy: Well, now witless too.

To the thread: Der Thron (throne) in Germany (very relevant) may also mean a piss pot, so Thronomeister may be a janitor, which, as we all know, is missing from both many commercial airliners and all Volvos.

For your useful reference, the Chimney Sweeper frequenting my household is called "Der Betzirksschornsteinfegermeister", which may be less relevant for the thread.

mixture
9th Aug 2010, 17:44
What exactly is a Thronomeister ?

Correct the typo then it might come up on Google.... :ok:

BOAC
9th Aug 2010, 17:49
Para - you are right.

From another forum, if it is any help:

Looking more closely, this is clearly a plunger-picketing sprocket slide-shackle from a late-series Mark 4 Thronomister. The crocketted ogive and fillialled corbels are typical. However, since it lacks the retaining-ring bracket and keyway for the auxiliary drive-shaft flexible-coupling unit, it is from a pre-1992 unit and has not been modified to the updated specification which gives greater output downstream of the upper bypass-duct turbulators and greatly reduces the prevalence of harmonic vibrations in the vortex-aligner section of the primary flow-retarder stage.

Loose rivets
9th Aug 2010, 17:51
Furthermore, all the references to potties, belts and thrones are simply because the early prototypes looked vaguely like a mixture of these items. The latest device is exquisite in its economy of scale, and while it does all of the things mentioned above, its ability to be used in a multiplicity of ways is only equaled by the human form.

Ancient Observer
9th Aug 2010, 17:53
EASA are stock-piling them as they believe that there is a killing to be made on the spot and forward markets.
Cologne High Street is locked solid with containers full of em.

Blacksheep
9th Aug 2010, 18:10
The B737 Classics had the Mk 4 Thronomisters, BOAC, but from the -400 series onwards, they were fitted with the Mk 5B. The 5B is similar to the Mk 5 but with the retaining-ring bracket and keyway replaced by a single piece transmissor using an elastomerical coupling and magvar bearing retainers.

BOAC
9th Aug 2010, 19:38
I'm pretty sure that DanAir did a 'deal' on their 400s and got them cheaper with the basic Mk 4's. Gave us endless trouble over the Alps and Pair o'knees.

You done yet, G&T? - just say....................