PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Southern Africa for a month or two

Greenpilots
9th Aug 2010, 14:01
Hi guys,

after flying around in Europe for some time, I wondered if it is possible to fly in Africa for one or two month basically for the fun of it. I have read the Maun thread and thought there might be a way. I am currently holding an ATPL with around 2000 hrs total, usually flying the smaller Buses across the continent. Don't want to say it is boring, but not a real thrill most of the time.

European winter would be a nice time (Jan, Feb?) as we don't have as much to do here and I could get a month off easily.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Felix

PS: I lost my heart to Africa long time ago.

cavortingcheetah
9th Aug 2010, 14:26
PFM!
It vanishes.

Greenpilots
9th Aug 2010, 15:10
You know there are people out there that would like doing such things and I am by no means a troll. If a thread covering my topic already exists, please direct me there.

Thanks, Felix

DaFly
9th Aug 2010, 16:57
As for Namibia & Botswana, I can tell you, that those months you mention are low season. Chances of getting a job are marginal around that time. But those are the countries, you might get a work permit / visa the easiest. As to South Africa, I am not sure about their seasonal requirements, but getting a work permit over there would be rather difficult.

As to the morality of the story: a lot of people feel, that taking away a job from the not so experienced charter guys is just not on. So you wouldn't make a lot of friends. You might want to read through this http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/419836-airline-jocks-flying-charter.html
regarding that issue.

Greenpilots
9th Aug 2010, 17:48
Thanks for the link DaFly. Interesting discussion... Maybe I should think it over. On the other side it would be a great chance to actually learn something. I am still young and love to fly and I think the experience would benefit me a lot. I have never really been in GA, flying the first time myself during pilot training and getting a job thereafter and I feel that I am missing out here.
One question remains though: Those charteres and little tour companies could have a lot of local pilots flying for them. But after reading the Maun thread, it seemed to me like a common practice to hire pilots from elsewhere in the world to fly for a limited time (3 months due to visa and so on). Are they doing any kind of training or supervision?

Thanks for your help,

Felix

DaFly
9th Aug 2010, 18:05
All charter companies I am aware of would give you about 50-100 hours route training. First you would sit in the right hand seat and than you fly left under supervision. I am not saying, that your chances of landing a job for a while are nil, but you might have to think about taking a few months off from work at home and fly during the European summer, since that would be high season in Bots & Nam. In both countries you will find the majority of pilots being foreigners, since there are simply not enough nationals available.
But honestly, one month won't cut it, since that is pretty much your route training already, plus Jan & Feb are dead quiet.

Greenpilots
9th Aug 2010, 23:33
Thanks for the inside view. I might just reconsider...

malboroman
13th Aug 2010, 22:37
Don't think a company will give you a job for such a short time unfortunatly...you have to give something in return for their training etc.
Maybe cheaper to get current on something small and have a scenic holiday around the finer parts of Africa to get it out of your system or change jobs ?