PDA

View Full Version : Cross-country hours in a different country

DiamondC
7th Aug 2010, 21:48
Looking at the requirements for IFR (FAA) / Instrument (JAA), it seems that a pre-requisite for both is approx 50 hours of cross-country. Can these hours be in a different country?

For example, if I have an FAA PPL and I'm planning to get an FAA IFR, can I build some of the cross-country hours in the UK (or elsewhere)?

And vice-versa, if I spend some time in the US building some cross-country hours, would they count towards the JAA Instrument?

MagicTiger
8th Aug 2010, 06:45
You can log the cross country in any country, just make sure you mark it in your log book. But check with Lasors how the hours should be logged for JAR standard.

B2N2
8th Aug 2010, 19:29
Under FAA Part 61 you need 50 hrs of cross country flight time > 50 NM before you can do your check ride. It is not required that you have 50 hrs XC before you can start your Instrument training.
Keep in mind that as part of your instrument training you will fly about 8-10 hrs of XC also. And you can always fly more if you don't meet the 50 hrs yet.

For instrument training under Part 141 there is no 50 hr XC requirement.
2. Eligibility for enrollment. A person must hold at least a private pilot certificate with an aircraft category and class rating appropriate to the instrument rating for which the course applies prior to enrolling in the flight portion of the instrument rating course.

Source: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=39b82d5b05f957aad8587f4b37b35cdb&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:3.0.1.2.13&idno=14#14:3.0.1.2.13.6.3.2.53)

And just for ease of verification of the cross countries you fly outside of the US; put the straight line distance flown in the remarks section of your logbook