PDA

View Full Version : Single Seat Certified Helicopter

CRAN
7th Aug 2010, 20:24
I've been wondering, is there anyone else out there that thinks that there is an obvious market niche for a low cost single seat certified helicopter?

The new VLR regulations allow for VERY cost effective machine and powering it with an IO-360 Lycoming power-to-weight ratios of 0.3hp/kg (typical of turbine helicopters) could easily be achieved without overtaxing the engine.

With this level of power and a slim single seat airframe cruise speeds of up to 130-140kt would be possible on 10 US Gal/hr making it an inexpensive pocket rocket.

Such a machine could be sold for £75K and operated for £75/hr (in the UK).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cran:ok:

parasite drag
7th Aug 2010, 20:51
3 words....Campaign Against Aviation...nuff said :bored:

stringfellow
7th Aug 2010, 22:29
where do i put my deposit?????

g-mady
8th Aug 2010, 09:53
are you thinking along the lines of a helicycle? Always like the look of them but not sure if there are any in the UK and if not why not?

MADY

Shawn Coyle
8th Aug 2010, 12:34
Costs of certification would ensure that it would not be economically viable. The cost and effort to certify are not trivial. For example, the cost for certifying something like the Eclipse VLJ broke the company, and they had very good planning.
And then there's the more practical problem - how to do train someone to fly it? It's not like it's wartime (there were only single seat Spitfires or Mustangs until long after the war, and men were men (pilots were pilots?)).
How do you do annual checks? That alone would drive any authority nuts.
And then, why would you want only a single seat helicopter? Not much payload capacity. Single pilot operations have the highest accident rate, so insurance companies would be loath to touch it.
And so on.
Nice idea, but not going to happen.

parasite drag
8th Aug 2010, 12:40
"not sure if there are any in the UK and if not why not"

Please refer to my earlier post....

chopjock
8th Aug 2010, 15:50
And then, why would you want only a single seat helicopter?
How many cars do you see driving around with only one occupant? Lots.
How many fixed wing aircraft fly around with only one occupant?
I don't see why helicopters would be any different. I know quite a few pilots that fly alone, simply to get from A to B.

Shawn Coyle
9th Aug 2010, 17:18
Chopjock:
But how many of those pilots fly in single seat airplanes that are type certified?

CRAN
9th Aug 2010, 17:54
Shawn,

Thanks for the response. What would you estimate the certifications cost would be for a simple machine such as this?

CRAN:ok:

slowrotor
9th Aug 2010, 23:09
A single seat aircraft can't be used for training or much else that would require certification. For personal use, why not sell an uncertificated kit?

bugdevheli
10th Aug 2010, 08:04
Would it not be more sensible for the CAA to allow unrestricted development and testing of rotorcraft providing there is no danger to the general public. We are currently strangled by rules and reguations . How can anyone develope a machine without the freedom to experiment. Surely a hundred feet over your own land puts no one at risk except the experimentor. Out of interest how many people out there in the uk would be interested in a such a machine. It would be interesting to have a data base. Bug.

Dave_Jackson
10th Aug 2010, 18:43
Do not the VLR regulations in Europe and in England significantly reduce the amount of regulation?

European Aviation Safety Agency ~ Certification Specifications for Very Light Rotorcraft CS-VLR (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/doc/Agency_Mesures/Certification_Spec/MERGED_v2.pdf)

CAP 750 ~ British Civil Airworthiness Requirements ~ Section VLH - Very Light Helicopters (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP750.pdf)

Dave

rotornut
11th Aug 2010, 14:17
I read that Frank Robinson wanted to sell the original R22 for $26,000 US. Then there were things such as the M/R blade separation problem and look where the price is now.

Shawn Coyle
12th Aug 2010, 01:24
Cran:
At the risk of being way under estimated - not less than $100 million. For Bell to upgrade the 429 from Part 27 to part 29, the rumour is that it's close to $40 million for the upgrade.
Eclipse certification was estimated at close to $500 million, and that's for something that was pretty 'standard'.
It's not just the cost of design and testing of the airframe - it's the record keeping, the trace-ability of the parts, the illustrated parts catalogue, and on and on and on.

Dave J
The VLR requirements do make things slightly easier, but they haven't been widely enough adopted to be transferrable between countries. A VLR certification in Italy means nothing to the Canadians, for example.

Bug:
It would be nice if it were possible to do that. Unfortunately, the authorities first priority is to see that no-one on the ground gets injured by falling flying machines, so once you leave the privacy of your own land, they have to get involved.

Arnie Madsen
12th Aug 2010, 01:42
In my opinion a great personal helicopter would be an R22 with 500 hours left on the clock and 5 years left on the calendar.

Replace the T- Bar with a REAL CYCLIC centered in the cockpit , replace the two seats with a single roomy & comfortable one.

bugdevheli
12th Aug 2010, 04:12
Shawn, your post states "once you leave the privacy of you own land".Dont forget this is the UK. We have no privacy here. We are not allowed to shoot an intruder,or comment on another nationality, our criminals ,the ones that are actually caught that is, normally get compensated financialy if they stub their toe during imprisonment. I could go on and on . Regarding testing of machines,i believe any testing other than if the machine is restrained by tethers even on your own land is illegal here. I believe your US expression HOG TIED would cover it. regards Bug.

Dave_Jackson
12th Aug 2010, 04:38
Bug,

What is the legal English definition for the word 'tether'?

The Wikipedia definition is; 'A tether is a cord or fixture that anchors something movable to a reference point which may be fixed or moving.'

Perhaps a sling load of 1 lb. on a 5' long string would allow flying' while giving lawyers something to work on. :)

Dave

bugdevheli
12th Aug 2010, 04:45
Dave. im going for it. thanks, Bug