PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia this morning.

JEM60
7th Aug 2010, 13:07
My wife called me to the window at 11.30 this morning, and there was a Fiesler Storch [Peter Holloways] chugging gently [of course] east just south of Bury St. Edmunds. Was quite impressed that she identified it before I reached the window.!!!! She's learning!!.

treadigraph
7th Aug 2010, 19:13
Good to hear that it's flying and look forward to seeing it at Old Warden in September!

I was walking a stretch of the London Loop between Harold Wood and Purfleet today. We were treated to an ME108 and Jungemeister in quick succession at Upminster and I could swear I heard Merlins as we crossed HS1 at Rainham - I did, the Lancaster heading south into Kent. I think it may have been orbiting Damyns Hall or Hornchurch when I first heard it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Aug 2010, 07:12
Great aeroplane the Storch. I saw a couple at St Cyr in 1965 but the only one since was at Duxford a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it was too far away to see much of it, let alone a registration, but I'm sure that's what it was..

JEM60
8th Aug 2010, 07:33
HiHD.
The one at Duxford at few years ago was a Morane with a radial engine. The nearest 'genuine' Storch was, I believe, G-AZMH which lived at Booker [did it belong to The Hon. Patric Lindsay?]. That is now in a museum on the continent somewhere,and that may have been a Morane also, though it did have an in-line engine.
I think,, but haven't looked into it, that Mr. Holloway's Storch is the real deal.:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Aug 2010, 10:32
OK JEM... many thanks for all that. Another type with a bizarre undercarriage which fascinates me is the PZL Wilga, of which I've seen several examples - most recently last week at Popham in the shape of D-EBBW.

treadigraph
8th Aug 2010, 15:49
I doubt Nigel Farage shares your enthusiasm for Wilgas HD!

'ZMH was indeed a Criquet with an Argus. Years ago I remember seeing a French radial engined Criquet flying over Purley so low I could easily read the underwing registration. If he was above 500' agl I'd be suprised.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Aug 2010, 16:28
Hahaha... poor old Nige!! I rather liked this use of a Wilga, over our place in July 2005:
G-BWDF PZL-104 Wilga. Banner reads: "Keila. Will you marry me? Love Grant" Over Finchampstead, 16 July 2005 :: GBWDF.jpg :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p66408720.html)

PaperTiger
8th Aug 2010, 23:14
Another type with a bizarre undercarriage which fascinates me is the PZL Wilga.
Easy solution to that.

http://www.avitop.com/acbar/log/pictures/2029bb.jpg