PDA

View Full Version : DASH 8 block rwy 21R in Jnb

bianchi
7th Aug 2010, 05:55
What happened to the Dash 8 that burst all , or some of it's main tyres and block runway 21R at Orta (FAJS) on 05 Aug 2010 at about 19H50Z at or near taxiway Lima ? Caused havoc to the overseas flights as Rwy 21 L is to short for longhual flight operation. Eish , you should have seen the airport after rwy 03L opened again and all longhaul flights leaving now all at the same time.

nugpot
7th Aug 2010, 14:09
What happened to the Dash 8 that burst all , or some of it's main tyres

It sounds as if it burst some or all of its main tyres.

bianchi
7th Aug 2010, 14:27
How does that happen ? Park brake "set " instead of control lock "on" ? Just speculation of course :confused:

DASHER 8
7th Aug 2010, 15:10
One tyre burst after landing and the other failed on the taxi in.(same side)
From engineering: A bad batch of tyres are one suspect or the brake assembly on one side binding a little causing heat build up and tyre failure.
No brake temp monitoring on the dash so very difficult to pick up.

nugpot
7th Aug 2010, 15:11
Sorry bianchi, I was just having a little fun with the way you asked your question.

I have no idea what caused the tyre failure, but if the a/c is at or close to MAUW, a failure of one of the two tyres on a bogie might cause the other one to go as well. Failure of both tyres on a bogie would obviously make it impossible to taxi.

The DH8 does not have a control lock like the J41, so there is not really any chance that the park brake was pulled by mistake.

I see dasher answered while I was typing.......

Dnapps
7th Aug 2010, 16:41
I remember all Dash 8s including the 400 having the control lock. Right above the power levers.

bianchi
7th Aug 2010, 17:08
The DH8 does not have a control lock like the J41, so there is not really any chance that the park brake was pulled by mistake

The last Dash 8 I flew sure had a control lock, or it might have been called a "gustlock",I can't remember. Anyhow,glad to hear that all worked out ok. I burst a tyre on a Dash 8 on landing going into Makuti Lodge years ago and it taxi jolly fine on one.

nugpot
8th Aug 2010, 06:56
Just shows you how much I know. CRAFT is such a funny disease.......

NOTOT
8th Aug 2010, 07:14
"As for the Express incidents/accidents, how many involved pilot error, or inadequacies in SOP's? ............ Just a thought."
Or maintenance? My thoughts do wonder....................................!

fsx
8th Aug 2010, 07:30
The fishing trawlers are falling apart.:\

transducer
8th Aug 2010, 12:04
My goodness NOTOT and fsx it was just a tyre failure and has nothing to do with the age of the aircraft, maintenance or SOP etc. of an airline. Maybe Goodyear should be rounded up and persecuted by the media as well!?

I have many hours on Dash-8's and have had a couple of tyre failures, generally the sidewall. In fact landed the one day on 03R and while taxiing in was made aware by a pax via the hostie that one of the tyres had failed and just at that time the other tyre's fusible plug deflated the remaining tyre as it should which caused us to block Lima taxiway until new tyres were installed. There is no indication on the flight deck of tyre condition/temp. etc. on the Dash-8. You cannot even feel if one tyre has failed when taxiing and will only find out about the tyre failure when doing the walk-around after the flight!

Yes bianchi the Dash-8 taxis fine on one tyre but not with both deflated.

Q4NVS
8th Aug 2010, 12:21
The fishing trawlers are falling apart

Not really... Here is an interesting extract from another post showing the relative age of Airline Fleets in SA.

South African Airways South Africa Age 8.9 years
South African Express Airways South Africa Age 11.3 years
South African Airlink South Africa Age 12.6 years
Comair South Africa Age 22.4 years
Mango South Africa Age 9.3 years
1Time Airline South Africa Age 22.8 years

Just to make sure, SAX will be embarking on a Fleet Replacement program in the near future. ;)

NOTOT, there is still time for an attitude adjustment (towards SAX) and possibly getting your CV in, but the Clock is Ticking :}

Unlucky Nelson
8th Aug 2010, 18:02
Q4NVS I am glad you never put Safair's aircraft age on that list.:E

cavortingcheetah
8th Aug 2010, 18:24
Could someone please explain what the two T handles, one vertical and one horizontal, above the power quadrant and below the centre console might be for?

nugpot
8th Aug 2010, 18:31
Could someone please explain what the two T handles, one vertical and one horizontal, above the power quadrant and below the centre console might be for

I run the risk of making a fool of myself again, but they are IIRC the roll and pitch disconnect handles.

cavortingcheetah
8th Aug 2010, 18:40
I shouldn't think there is much risk of that and thanks for the information.