PDA

View Full Version : Southport Airshow 2010

eddywinch82
6th Aug 2010, 19:41
Hi there,

I have checked out the airshows.org.uk website to see the current lineup for the
show and it was updated today it looks really good here is the link :-

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2010/airshows/southport-airshow-preview.html

Best Regards

the_flying_cop
18th Sep 2010, 22:33
having attended this show today i have to say i was a little disappointed. my reasons,

1st, i was charged a ridiculous £1.50 handling fee per ticket for booking early. i did all the work, and printed it off and they still charged me an extra £10.50 in total.
2nd, car park man short changed me for another fiver.
3rd, typhoon - grounded (that cannot be helped - but it was the main reason i attended)
4th, there was a distinct lack of fast pointy stuff.
5th, the weather was pish.
6th, bbmf sent the dakota, i was hoping for the lancaster
7th, no vulcan

now i know times are hard, and we are all stretched etc, but the last time i went to an airshow was finningley c.1989? and i was left wondering why i bothered going today.

on the plus side,

spitfire and hurricane - awesome.
the reds were majestic despite having to do the low level routine below the cloud base. (arrived early from behind the crowd, and obviously to everyones surprise), the navy merlin was a great routine, solo hawk also a winner.

the highlight i think was the private hunter which did some lovely fast passes, and nice and low too. but the gr4 role demonstration was great. finally got some proper noise.

the dark grey low cloudbase really made the tonkas stand out when the burners were on, and their passes were nicely put together. i didnt get the full effect because the RAF merlin was ticking over for the whole routine approx 50ft away from me.

anyhow, if you took part in this then i would like to offer my appreciation. me and my boy (3) loved it. the biggest surprise was the civvie formation display team in the pitts 300s' they were brilliant. all ex red's drivers apparently, and it showed.

if you were involved in the organising of the event, i think you need to reflect on it. there are some considerable areas for improvement.

tipsy ramblings over.

TFC

spekesoftly
18th Sep 2010, 23:16
the biggest surprise was the civvie formation display team in the pitts 300s'

A big surprise indeed, as "The Blades" usually fly Extra 300s, not Pitts! ;)

spekesoftly
19th Sep 2010, 09:54
Due to heavy overnight rain, and today's forecast, the Sunday Airshow at Southport has been cancelled.

EGGP
19th Sep 2010, 13:22
"if you were involved in the organising of the event, i think you need to reflect on it. there are some considerable areas for improvement."

Per the link below next years show has been changed to 23-24th July after a couple of years bad weather in September . Hopefully this should help.

Flightline UK - UK Airshow Calendar - July 2010 (http://www.airshows.org.uk/2011/calendar/july.html)