PDA

View Full Version : Cheap CPL Route?

Okavango
6th Aug 2010, 14:01
I have the right to live and work in the UK and Australia and also have my JAA ATPL theoreticals and would ideally like a CPL to allow work in both regions. I'm now considering starting my CPL, though I've just realised that a CASA CPL just needs 200hrs experience then a flight test (+an air law exam) and there is no mandatory 25hr training as in JAA land. Once you have this, Lasors just says flight training as required (rather than the 25hr course), to convert an ICAO license to JAA. It seems this 'could' be a cheaper back door route to a CPL (assuming minimal training as required). Is this the case?

welliewanger
6th Aug 2010, 16:03
Hmmmm, it may be true in theory, but if you think you're just going to do a PPL, build hours and then do a CPL flight test, I think you're a bit too optimistic. You'll need at least some extra instruction to polish technique and learn some more advanced airmanship. Also, I'd recommend a few hours training in each country before flying solo there (except hard IFR) as procedures and RT vary worldwide, particularly in VFR land.