PDA

View Full Version : Your handwriting...

Cacophonix
6th Aug 2010, 00:49
Ok (when I am not telling Jerry Bruckheimer he is an idiot - cue for immediate censorship), I like flying. Yes, somebody on this undemanding thread, loves flying (cue for a ban).

Now I can do math but I was taken to task by a Belgian lady today (in Flemish)... "your writing looks like the dribble from a brain damaged flea!"

What did she mean? Just because I am a child of the computer age, just like those Boeing vis a vis Airbus dudes doesn't make my spidery scrawl inane! Does it?

What does your handwriting say about you?

NF

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2010, 01:01
The ultimate praise handed out at school was that one's handwriting looked as if a spider had fallen into the inkwell and then crawled across the page.
Most kids wouldn't understand the significance of the comment these days.

(In fact, after this accolade, I acquired a broad italic-nibbed fountain pen and black ink and I developed a style that was, at least, legible. Unfortunately this style had to be abandoned when writing instruments changed from fountain pens to Bic Biros (and, sometimes, felt-tipped pens, usually fibre-tipped).

sisemen
6th Aug 2010, 02:50
Up to about 1989 I used to write a lot (particularly when I was a staff officer in MOD). Then computers came along and typists vanished and my handwriting has grown steadily worse since.

I think that it's because I can type faster than hand write and my brain is going faster than my pen so I can't be arsed to get it legible.

onetrack
6th Aug 2010, 02:58
"your writing looks like the dribble from a brain damaged flea!"

What did she mean?
She was probably inferring that you had the potential to become a doctor... or perhaps you already ARE one??... :suspect:

It is regularly stated, particularly by long-suffering pharmacists (of whom, one is a close friend) that doctors have the worst, and the most indecipherable writing, of anyone... :suspect:

However, the study of handwriting skills is a black art, and a rewarding habit, that one is well advised to take up. As an employer of sizeable numbers of people in a previous business life, I liked to study handwriting as a gauge of a persons strengths and faults. Just be wary of appointing those who write with a great deal of flourishes to any job that requires a no-BS approach... :suspect:

In the same vein, the study of a persons features also offers a great deal of insight into that persons character and strengths and faults. Never engage a person with small hands for a job that involves exacting work, that requires precision and attention to detail. You employ a person with large hands, for those kinds of jobs.

I shudder when I see a person with small hands as a pilot. These people get the job done in the shortest time possible, and with no regard for the fine details... thus they are entirely suitable for work where detail is of no importance... but time constraints are.

PaperTiger
6th Aug 2010, 03:43
onetrack

Real pilots do not have small hands, small watches, small egos or indeed small anythings. Just ask one.

(Mind you, Whole Body Imagers may tell a whole other story...)

rh200
6th Aug 2010, 04:32
What does your handwriting say about you? :( I can't write to save my life, in fact its so bad I can barely read it myself.

On a positive note, there have been administrators who after a while (months) have been able to dechipher what I have written. This is quite sad as I have never picked up that skill, hence the computer is a god send.:)

Captain Stable
6th Aug 2010, 04:35
http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/research/theology/ejournal/aejt_2/images/aquinas_handwriting.jpg

Mallan
6th Aug 2010, 05:20
My latin is some what rusty theses days.

Captain Stable
6th Aug 2010, 05:24
Num tu liberaliter educatus es?

Loose rivets
6th Aug 2010, 06:18
Strange thing happened to me when I was flying at SEN. My writing just changed. It was like that thing when people suddenly start talking in another language...no logic at all.

It was nice writing, sort of squarish, mechanical in nature, and very neat. So not me. I can't even imitate it now.

One doctor (looked a bit furrin') was a locum at home. Chemist, a nice middle aged man, said, 'We don't even know what language it's written in, let alone what it says.' Frikkin' 500 quid a day. I'd have written a load of bo-lox for half of that.

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 08:56
Wasn't it the aforementioned Thomas Aquinas who was the first man who could read without speaking the words aloud or moving his lips? his unique ability to do this caused much comment among his contemporaries at the time.
Tiz said hundreds of people came from miles around just to see someone with a book in hand lips unmoving and face impassive, of course many thought he was cheating just holding the book and not actually reading anything or indeed that it were just a picture book, and that is a possibility
Think I heard this on QI,one's main source of interesting snippets these days.
:)

sprocky_ger
6th Aug 2010, 09:09
She was probably inferring that you had the potential to become a doctor...

...or a pharmacist. That's what they said to me in school :}

In the times I went to school in the GDR it was quite common to tell left-handed kids to use the right hand. They told me to do so when I started second grade already. :ugh:The only times I use a pencil now is when I have to fill a form or to sign it. ;)

Are you right-handed? Try to write with the left hand at the usual speed. Still looking good - or even readable?

BTW: when watching movies I noticed a big difference in German or US American movies. A lot more actors in US seem to be left-handed than here. I was told left-handed humans are smarter. :E

MagnusP
6th Aug 2010, 09:14
I've used fountain pens for 45 years now, and have no intention of changing. Bought a new one in Italy a couple of weeks ago - a Ferrari.

My writing has deteriorated a bit through lack of practice, but is still found legible by most.

Checkboard
6th Aug 2010, 09:18
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS, Capt. Stable. :p

My wife's handwriting is so similar to mine I can confuse the two - which is FREAKY :eek:

Cacophonix
6th Aug 2010, 09:24
At school we were forced to use fountain pens and were punished if we smudged the ink. Being left handed did not make my life easy and I think my handwriting has been going downhill ever since.

I really do regret not having copperplate handwriting and guess that reliance on computers etc. has only exacerbated the scrawl over the years.

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 09:29
Old Uncle Hugh had a beautiful hand,even a angry letter to his MP which he wrote with great regularity looked like a parchment from the King elevating one to a Dukedom,when going through his things we found some letters from a Cousin of his that was the same immaculate copperplate, so it must have run in the Draper family,sadly it ran stright past me,my hand is a veritable scrawl as is Bro Drapers.
:(

Hydromet
6th Aug 2010, 09:33
Australians of my vintage (mid 60s) will be familiar with attempts to make lefties into righties.

Regarding left-handed writers on TV, my own informal survey shows that about 7% of people shown writing on television are left handers. This seems to be the case across movies, documentaries, even cartoons. Why is this so? Is it done deliberately? Is it a sinister plot? Enquiring minds want to know.:8

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 09:37
They probably loaded the film into the gate back to front,frinstance Billy the Kid was not left handed, the developer of that famous photograph simply printed it back to front thus causing a hundred years of confusion as to the lads handedness

Shack37
6th Aug 2010, 09:51
When I started school I was allowed to write left handed whereas my older brothers' classmates were "encouraged" to use the right hand.
My own handwriting varies from near copperplate to total scribble depending on the mood I'm in, time available and volume written.

Strangely, I am right handed at everything else eg using hand tools, knife and fork, throwing things and use of sports equipment. Crossed wire somewhere perhaps?

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 10:05
One is sorely tempted to ask the bum wiping question, but one shall resist.:rolleyes:

henry crun
6th Aug 2010, 10:12
I knew a chap who taught himself caligraphy and became so good at it that it became his usual method of writing.

Some of the more fancy fonts that he used on presentation scrolls were not so easy to read, but his everyday basic letter writing script was as legible as copperplate.

sprocky_ger
6th Aug 2010, 10:40
Strangely, I am right handed at everything else eg using hand tools, knife and fork, throwing things and use of sports equipment.
Total opposite here. Writing right handed since the "training" but doing everything else like a "normal" left handed one.

Storminnorm
6th Aug 2010, 10:51
I was the ink monitor at school.
I have mentioned this before.

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2010, 10:58
I watched someone writing with his left hand recently. It was 'awkward' - but would have been easier had he been writing from right to left - as the Arabs do, so the question is, are most Arabs left-handed when writing?

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 11:00
Never reached those heights Mr Norn,one was milk monitor briefly during the great chicken pox raid of 49.:(
One noticed recently in one of Mr Eastwood's filums(Joe Kid) that he fired a rifle left handed but handles his Colt in a proper fashion.

Captain Stable
6th Aug 2010, 11:09
Left-handers:-
Gauche
Sinister
Cack-handed :ooh:

Right-handers:-
Adroit
Dextrous :ok:

Hmmmmmmmm :cool:

aviate1138
6th Aug 2010, 11:34
Doctors should write prescriptions/instructions in CAPITALS only. Then fewer mistakes would be made. I say this because I have recently been given 6 times the dose of a drug I needed.

All praise goes to the Haste Wing at the Royal Surrey for sorting me out. Thanks Doctor H.

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 11:38
Knopfler is a lefty but plays guitar right handed which is strange.:)

MagnusP
6th Aug 2010, 12:01
Knopfler is a lefty but plays guitar right handed which is strange

Got a couple of mates who do that. It's because when they were first visiting guitar shops with avarice in their eyes, they could only get their sweaty mitts on RH guitars, so just learned to play that way. Also got a lefty mate who plays left-handed using a guitar which is RH strung. :confused:

On the beach
6th Aug 2010, 13:05
Knopfler is a lefty but plays guitar right handed which is strange

And Mr. Hendrix was a lefty who played a right-handed guitar upside down. Didn't do too bad a job of it either.

rgbrock1
6th Aug 2010, 14:00
What does my handwriting say about me? That's a very easy one.

My handwriting says: "He was beat so many times by a ruler upon the back of his hands, perpetrated by several odious and psychopathic Catholic nuns, priests, brothers and other assorted purveyors of the faith, that his handwriting resembles that of a tsi-tsi fly taking a dump on a sand dune."

No one can read my handwriting. Not even me. Thus, I don't bother.

rans6andrew
6th Aug 2010, 14:21
I too write with my left hand but manage pretty much everything else right handed. I put this down to finding out, at a very early age, that a pen works just as well in either hand but cheap scissors don't. Once I sussed that scissors only work in the right hand (nobody give children left handed scissors!) it seemed kinda normal to use pliers right handed.

My Rans has a floor mounted throttle to the front- left of each seat. This brings the P2 throttle to the front-right of the P1 seat and as it has a proper joystick (poking up between your legs) it is just as comfortable to fly it left or right handed. I find that I do this without realising it and it took a passenger to point it out to me!

Rans6

edited to sort out the spelling that goes wrong just as you submit

Cacophonix
6th Aug 2010, 15:14
My Rans has a floor mounted throttle to the front- left of each seat.How I would appreciate a yolk (edited - yoke) or control with the radio button on the right hand side so that I can copy clearances etc. with my left hand as opposed to the cross handed juggling that goes on at the moment.

"He was beat so many times by a ruler upon the back of his hands, perpetrated by several odious and psychopathic Catholic nuns, priests, brothers and other assorted purveyors of the faith, that his handwriting resembles that of a tsi-tsi fly taking a dump on a sand dune."I should have quoted the same reason for my scribble RGB. When I think that these hands used to be thwacked because I smudged my work with my left hand and then smudged again because of my aching paws just makes me mad now.

Captain Stable
6th Aug 2010, 17:01
I think you'd find a yoke much more use and rather cleaner than a yolk.... ;)

Cacophonix
6th Aug 2010, 17:11
I think you'd find a yoke much more use and rather cleaner than a yolk.... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

I have covered myself with egg Captain Stable. Thanks for the correction. :ok:

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2010, 17:35
Was that a yolk jolk?

rgbrock1
6th Aug 2010, 17:37
Nope. It was a yolky yoke joke. :}

Sirikit
6th Aug 2010, 18:27
In the same vein, the study of a persons features also offers a great deal of insight into that persons character and strengths and faults. Never engage a person with small hands for a job that involves exacting work, that requires precision and attention to detail.

No guys have ever complained yet to my small hands!:E

Namib....sounds like you need to seek therapy for your Marist brother thwacks.....seems quite deep as you started this thread by stating that:

Just because I am a child of the computer age, just like those Boeing vis a vis Airbus dudes doesn't make my spidery scrawl inane!

Mmmm....thwacks...!:E

PS: Since when do Seth Effrikens say Math for Maths?:confused:

Parapunter
6th Aug 2010, 18:30
In Hendrix's day, you couldn't buy a left handed electric guitar - he had no choice.

An acoustic of course can be played either way up, it's only the scratchguard that would be upside down. And the nut would need to be swapped about, strictly speaking.

radeng
6th Aug 2010, 18:35
My doctor uses a computer for prescriptions, so there are no errors on the handwriting score. But a Ph.D friend (electronics) has such indecipherable handwriting that I think it goes with the title of 'Doctor', rather than being limited to the medical profession.

Sirikit
6th Aug 2010, 18:37
Oh, yes...just to add...my handwriting is angular...sharp points...and Italic sort of, kind of...but looks good on a page!:}

All done by my small hand.:ok:

It's all straight up! Up-down-up-down...I can't be mithered with this slack, slant business.:p

rf-Mtd2A1DI

Right handers rule the world.:ok:

Pugilistic Animus
6th Aug 2010, 18:56
with my handwriting writing many have commented "beautiful; Arabic calligraphy"

Except that I can't write in Arabic:}

I'm the worst:{

tarantonight
6th Aug 2010, 20:37
Very envious of those - particularly us chaps - who have superb copperplate handwriting.

Mine is sh**e and I have a complex about it. If I was bright enough maybe would have been a Doctor.

TN.:ugh:

jimtherev
6th Aug 2010, 21:01
I still have a student travel card in the name of Dr. jimtherev. When I challenged the clerk who issued it she said 'Oh I always call 'em doctor if they are graduate students & I can't read their writing.' I wonder if she's there doing the same thing 35 years on...

Synthetic
6th Aug 2010, 23:31
Sirikit - thanks for that post. Left or right handed, Mr Hendrix definately knew which end of his guitar to blow into. :ok:

My writing is awful - I have to print to decrypt it, but the only noteworthy thing is if I write with my left hand. Most people using the wrong hand to write with will simply be less tidy. I produce mirror writing. :sad:

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2010, 00:05
My daughter did that when she was learning to write - whichever hand she used to hold the writing impliment she would commence her letters and continue 'outwards'. She also struggled with recognition between b and d . . .

mini
7th Aug 2010, 00:31
mini was born right handed, engineering schooling led to a sharp script.

Once courted a lass and learned Gothic type script to impress. Said lass long gone, still admire gothic script.

Accident (fight) with an obnoxious Kiwi in a land without rules left said Kiwi sacked and mini with a severed ulnar.

Got it repaired, huge improvement on a claw, but handwriting has suffered as a result.

Handwriting now strangely legible vs sms kids...

PS when I find that Kiwi he's in big trouble... :mad:

Shack37
7th Aug 2010, 12:02
One is sorely tempted to ask the bum wiping question, but one shall resist.:rolleyes:

One is inclined to answer, righthanded.
One also hopes never to be caught and punished for stealing in some foreign parts.:ouch:

tony draper
7th Aug 2010, 12:16
Watched one of they Graphologists??analysing peoples hand writing on the telly once,right load of old bollix that is, she would have probably been more accurate had she just guessed, which one suspects was exactly what she was doing, up there with being a Medium or reading bumps on folks noggins grapholgy is.

onetrack
7th Aug 2010, 13:15
Mr D - I wouldn't be so rash as to declare that graphology is worth nowt. It was likely the handwriting interpreter who was worth nowt.

FYI, the Library of Congress categorised handwriting analysis as a credible social science in 1981. Your handwriting can give clues about approximately 100 traits of your character and personality.

My dear old Dad was pretty good at interpreting a persons character and personality from their writing.

Interestingly, over 50% of men prefer to print rather than write cursively. I'm one of them. I was always under the impression that it outlined a practical, no-nonsense personality.
The Americans say it represents a person who has put up a barrier to prevent emotional closeness, or someone who is reluctant to reveal deep feelings. This could also be true.

Of some interest perhaps, my father was born naturally left-handed, but had it beaten out of him. He could write with both right and left hands equally well, and when he took up signwriting as an apprentice, he could signwrite holding the brush with either hand.
What was even better, was when he did reverse signwiting (complete with letter shadow) on the inside of shop windows, so it read correctly from the street. THAT was an art!

Nowadays, they print up a poster on a computer and hang it in the window. He must be spinning in his grave, he never lived long enough to see this. He's been dead for over 22 years.

tony draper
7th Aug 2010, 13:30
To me learning finger picking style guitar is like learning to write with both hands then leaning how to write a different sentence with each hand simultaniously.:uhoh:

Pugilistic Animus
7th Aug 2010, 17:25
Interestingly, over 50% of men prefer to print rather than write cursively...it's easier for our little brains:}

To me learning finger picking style guitar is like learning to write with both hands then leaning how to write a different sentence with each hand simultaniously.:uhoh:

I felt that way about chords E minor, A7, C :uhoh::}

mini was born right handed, engineering schooling led to a sharp script.

I'm good at writing on graph paper too, it more like drawing though, but it took a long time you're supposed to do it rapidly:\

V2-OMG!
8th Aug 2010, 02:24
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21556821/390578053.jpg

ChrisVJ
8th Aug 2010, 06:14
When one was young and at school one's writing sloped backward, was excruciatingly small and precise with little curlicues. I read some guff in the Times about handwriting and how it portrayed one's character.. Apparently I was introverted and with several other unwanted characteristics.

Changed my writing on the premise that I would then become the sunny, fun loving extrovert I have been (or at least pretended to be) for the last forty years, at least until I reverted to type and became a grumpy old man.

Worked apparently,

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2010, 06:31
The golfer Phil Mickelson plays Left handed but is naturally Right handed.

Not many people know that :8

TerminalTrotter
8th Aug 2010, 09:49
Chris vj

Me too, or so I thought. SWMBO says it didn't work, however. I am left handed, but use some things right handed. Computer mouse, for instance. Probably because wired mouse at work always left on the right. My writing is now so bad that even I can't read it sometimes, and sometimes even my print is illegible. Probably says many uncomplimentary things about my character and disposition.

TT

vulcanised
8th Aug 2010, 13:10
The real trick is to produce something legible on those electronic pads that the delivery folk carry these days.

Just put that awful plastic stub into my hand and I turn into a doctor.

unstable load
8th Aug 2010, 18:07
Tech drawing teacher in Grade 8 caned me into neat-ish printing. Now my standard produce, but style and neatness change at random, even leading me to wonder who wrote some of the stuff.
Also being a lefty that was part-converted to righty never helped. Fortunately, Mum was also lefty and put a stop to it as soon as she heard it was happening.

Bern Oulli
8th Aug 2010, 20:42
Used to teach small-bore rifle shooting to school kids in the days when it was still acceptable to teach kids to play safely with fire-arms. Whether the child was right or left handed mattered less than whether they were right or left eyed. If their left eye was dominant, even if they were right handed it was quite easy to teach them left handed shooting. I, being right handed and right eyed, had to teach myself to shoot left handed in order to demonstrate the art. Thank goodness the rifles were all Martini action and not bolt. Oh, and no CRB check required in them days either.

tony draper
8th Aug 2010, 20:57
I learned to shoot a rifle with a Mossberg Falling block .22 Mr O.:ok:

MagnusP
9th Aug 2010, 09:17
She also struggled with recognition between b and d . . .

That sort of thing can be a real dastarb. :p

Bushfiva
9th Aug 2010, 09:35
I love fountain pens. With biro, I simply scribble to get the task done. With a fountain pen, watching the ink dry behind the knib helps me think more clearly. I've a collection of major brands, which range from perfect (a Parker) to abysmal (another Parker, despite repeated visits to the knib factory). The best writers I've ever had were a Papermate (when I asked how to get a new knib, they sent 3 pens so I knew that had been a short-lived experiment) and my current Pilot retractable: button like a biro, but has a knib. Outstanding bit of kit. Known in some markets as Namiki. Very flexible knib good for Japanese script.

onetrack
9th Aug 2010, 15:20
V2-OMG - Your handwriting shows you have a very robust sex drive... indicated by the loops above and below the letters, that reach to the top and bottoms of the lines above and below... :)

unstable load
9th Aug 2010, 17:55
Ah, yes! Shooting at school. We had the Martini falling block.22 when I first got to high school but then the went out and bought Anschutz Gee Whiz models with fancy stocks and rubber covered sights.
Still shot as bad as ever, mind you.....:hmm:

Cacophonix
10th Aug 2010, 00:10
Shooting at school. We had the Martini falling block.22

Didn't I shoot against you at Youngsfield in 1979? :ok:

NF