View Full Version : Casa Cpl

Okavango
5th Aug 2010, 22:54
What's involved in the CASA CPL course? All the FTO websites seem to assume no previous flight experience. If you already have 150hrs+ can you start the CPL flight training as in JAA modular land and if so how long is the course? Thanks.

UnderneathTheRadar
5th Aug 2010, 23:20
There is no such thing as the CASA CPL 'course' but a set of minimum requirements including:

- 200 hours (assuming you're not doing a 150 hour syalbus - which from your post it seems you wouldn't)
- pass the theory exams
- pass a flight test

I started my CPL training with about 300 hours and it consisted of, basically, doing the exams, a pre-exam flight and the exam planning/flight/questions etc.

If you're looknig at this path, stay away from the sausage factories and go looking for an aero club somewhere away from a capital city. Of course if they don't know you from a bar of soap then there may be some more hurdles to jump than this.

UTR

Okavango
6th Aug 2010, 13:47
Thanks - that will be why I was struggling to find the info!! I'm surprised there's no extra training beyond PPL and 200hrs experience. I already have my JAA ATPL's - if I was to obtain my CASA CPL, does anyone know what it would require to obtain a JAA CPL? Sounds like you can get a CASA CPL relatively cheaply and if there's not a great deal of flight training required back in JAA land perhaps you can get the two for the price of one?

dudduddud
6th Aug 2010, 15:55
I looked at this a couple of years ago, albeit from a New Zealand CPL perspective.

To transfer a NZCAA CPL licence to a JAA CPL required all JAA ATPL subjects, training as required by a school and a skills test with a UKCAA examiner.

I can't see the CASA path being too different.

At any rate, speak with these people, they were very helpful when I was considering making the jump.

PAT - Converting a Military, Rotary or Foreign Pilots Licence (http://www.pat.uk.com/converting.html#nonJAA)

Okavango
7th Aug 2010, 08:17
Thanks - I'll talk to the FTO, but that was the info I'd already found:

"Flight training is as determined by a school (FTO) on a complex aircraft (s/e or m/e) and you have to pass a skills test with a CAA staff examiner or a CAA authorised examiner."

If you were to get a CASA CPL and some flying experience working, then it's pretty much like the old Self Improver route where you had to build 700hrs then training as determined by an approved FTO. Overall I assume I'll probably still end up doing 25hrs training, but in theory it looks like a means of getting both licences potentially quite efficiently. Going the other way JAA to CASA you MUST do the 25hrs training, then whatever is required in Australia.

Tinstaafl
7th Aug 2010, 23:50
The above is not entirely correct. To save typing it again, this topic is similarly covered here (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/414809-cpl-150-200hrs-what.html)