PDA

View Full Version : Barton - Helicopter Fly-In Sat 14 August

Squadgy
5th Aug 2010, 12:06
Hello

There is a Helicopter Fly-In at Barton on Sat 14 August. Free landings for all visiting helicopters between 10am-2pm.

JetA1 & Avgas available as usual.

More details here:

City Airport - Home (http://www.cityairportltd.com/)

Hopefully see you there :ok:

birrddog
5th Aug 2010, 12:28
I volunteer for Joel to go, though not sure he has the range to fly their in his JetBox :p

Perhaps if it was a drive in he could make it? ;)

chriswhi
6th Aug 2010, 14:06
Gosh, Barton waiving helicopter landing fees-----the world may spin the other way soon !!!!

JTobias
6th Aug 2010, 17:42
Cheers boys

I'll be there. I've started planning the route now. !!

I'm all seriousness, Barton discussed this with me (and presumably others) and they're making every effort to encourage choppers to visit. If it's successful they will do more helicopter fly-ins.

Shortly they hope to be able to offer Hot Refuelling too.

Please come along if you can.

Joel

misterbonkers
6th Aug 2010, 19:52
I've sent an email round robin to Yorkshire Heliclub members.

Might be able to get Osprey 63 to put in an appearance too.

HeliTed
6th Aug 2010, 20:12
How does the Avgas price of £1.65ppl compare to others?

JTobias
6th Aug 2010, 21:17
Ah ha

I think I spoke to Osprey 63 on Safety.Com today!!

Joel:ok:

misterbonkers
7th Aug 2010, 12:37
Yes you did!

Only got one radio box in DZ then? :)

nigelh
7th Aug 2010, 19:03
I had a long chat with barton the other day explaining why i havent been in there for years and only went in because i was v low on fuel . Personally i never collect fuel where they charge high landing fees in addition to high fuel price.....Leeds is much cheaper fuel and no landing fee . IF they change i will be happy to go there but it is chicken and egg for them .....very few choppers use them because they are expensive and often v slow ...they could reduce the costs if more choppers went in ....

JTobias
7th Aug 2010, 21:57
Misterbonkers

Was it you I spoke to? If so, thanks for the nudge to contact Barton.

No, there are two boxes, but I switched COM1 off inadvertently whilst 'guiding' the R22 in to EGCB. The pilot is very capable, but low time and had low fuel so I was working EGCB for both machines and then relaying the info on Safety.COM.

I just switched COM 1 off by accident. Also G-LADZ is my old machine and I was just keeping my hand in flying it. My baby (Jet Ranger) was on my pad feeling neglected !!!!

Joel :ok:

JTobias
7th Aug 2010, 22:00
NigelH

Barton aren't charging for landings on he day and if you did come in, bring the 480, it would be good for me to see it. I've mentioned it to one or two people.

Also, the more people that pop in and maybe tell EGCB how they might be able to improve what they do, the better it might be in the long run.

Come in on Saturday and say hello !!

Helibabe1
8th Aug 2010, 23:31
Perhaps Barton should also consider NOT charging their home based pilots for landing at the Fly-in too... ???
:ugh:

misterbonkers
9th Aug 2010, 10:09
JT - affirm - thought it was odd you went off air.

NigelH - Leeds is much cheaper but you have to get over some rather large hills to get there but I guess in the past if you flew a maroon squirrel you could powerline patrol over the top? Or go the long way round which is likely to cost you a lot more in flying time versus landing fee!

Barton is still a lot cheaper than Manchester Intl and Liverpool! Was in and out of Liverpool a few times last week - £125+VAT MANDATORY handling + landing fee on top (had to go in 12 times!).

feathering tickles
9th Aug 2010, 11:59
misterbonkers - ref liverpool prices, talk to Jimbo, he'll point you in the "right" direction.

FT

nigelh
9th Aug 2010, 17:46
On a moor all day saturday but could get there later ( around 6pm ) if thats not too late !!

PENNINE BOY
10th Aug 2010, 05:32
Smoke and Mirrors! not the friendliest of airfields for Helis or fixed wing!

With steep landing fees to uplift fuel!

Will give it a wide berth and make for Bagby or Breighton! :rolleyes:

MK83
10th Aug 2010, 15:32
Smoke and Mirrors! not the friendliest of airfields for Helis or fixed wing!

With steep landing fees to uplift fuel!

Will give it a wide berth and make for Bagby or Breighton!

In fairness, Barton could be seen as being expensive or it could be seen as cheap (compared to surrounding airfields - as already mentioned), however to say it is
not the friendliest of airfields for Helis or fixed wing!
when its staff are in fact very friendly and will bend over backwards to help you out is unfair IMHO.

With reference to

Perhaps Barton should also consider NOT charging their home based pilots for landing at the Fly-in too... ???
I believe this was a misunderstanding that has now been resolved? :)

JTobias
10th Aug 2010, 20:04
Pennine Boy,

I've got one chopper (arguably 2!!) based at EGCB and whilst there are minor gripes, these are, exactly that - minor. I virually live at Barton and the one thing that you cannot say about them is that the staff are unfriendly.

In terms of expense, we could all argue that landing fess are expensive or fuel prices are too high. I pick up fuel all over the country and there is a wide fluctuation. In fairness to Barton there are hotels around the country that attempt to charge £50 to land - we all endeavour to boycott them, but sometimes there's no choice. Barton's are reasonable - sure I'd like them cheaper (we don't use the bloody runway!!) but they need to charge something.

There is a very active heli fraternity there and we would love to see a few more choppers popping in. If you are in the vicinity, call in - I'll buy you a drink and a sandwich personally.

On a paralell note, Barton have waived landing fees for home based choppers (I didn't even need to 'have a word'. It was an oversight to start with and remedied quickly)

I've asked Mark from Propwash if he would be able to attend for the day and, subject to reasonable attendance, he's agreed and will do a quick windshield clean and stuff. But if I can't see any visitors attending I'm gonna stand him down.

Therefore, Ppruners, please try and indicate if you might be popping in.

jellycopter
10th Aug 2010, 21:00
Joel

You said, (we don't use the bloody runway!!)

I don't think any one at Barton uses a runway. Those ploughed fields surely can't be considered runways!

JJ

JTobias
10th Aug 2010, 21:17
Whacko

Don't you bloody start !!!!

J :ugh:

stringfellow
10th Aug 2010, 21:57
i find it exraordinary that in the context of the vast sums of money involved in helicopters that such lively debate is had over the paltry sum of money charged to land.

the other day i flew into barton, left the helicopter all day in a secure area and enjoyed a great day in manchester city centre. my landing fee was less than the taxi fare into the city.

take off your blinkers and remember that ga airfields are the grass roots of aviation. i mean its not exactly as if there is an alternative. ive not seen their books but i doubt they make a great deal from ga, and if folk keep whining i imagine they will just abandon ga to its fate and go chasing corporate jets and the big money.

i find old school airfields fascinating and envy joel for all but living there!!! i hope the fly in is a huge success and may well saunter down myself if i can find a machine. the weather looks promising too. safe flying guys.

JTobias
10th Aug 2010, 22:06
Stringfellow

Any chance we might see you on Saturday then ?

Joel:ok:

stringfellow
10th Aug 2010, 22:14
il check if any of the machines i fly are available and if i do of course il let you know. thank you for the invite i think its great that an airfield as busy as barton would make an effort for us!!!

il check online now!!

birrddog
10th Aug 2010, 23:32
the other day i flew into barton, left the helicopter all day in a secure area and enjoyed a great day in manchester city centre.
From that statement alone we know you are telling fibs!

Hat, coat, etc. :p

PENNINE BOY
12th Aug 2010, 15:13
Stringfellow!

Your caravan park looks impressive from the air! (yesterday)

JT.
Hope the weekend is a success and everyone has a great time and hopefully more people will get into flying through visiting Barton on the day.

I allso live within the area but have had a few negative vibes from the staff over the years,other than the very good cafe! that have put me off the place, and to possibly spending alot of money with them to get into aviation and to climb further up the ladder.

Looking forward to the mentioned sandwich/coffee :ok:

Gaseous
12th Aug 2010, 18:10
I would have gone but am away. I normally only go to Barton for LPC once per year. I might be inclined to go more often if it wasn't a rip off to go there. I buy Avgas for a hell of a lot less than that. Landing fee is too high.

Could this be a turning point? Hope so! I quite like flying in there.

edit. I get what you're saying stringfellow. its just that most of the places I go have no landing fee.

Squadgy
13th Aug 2010, 07:58
Hi

Just a reminder that this is tomorrow. Full details here:

City Airport - Home (http://www.cityairportltd.com/)

:ok:

stringfellow
13th Aug 2010, 12:54
mr pennine!!!

thanks for taking the time to fly over on wed, it looked a tad breezy up there.

and to all you guys at the fly in have a great day and spare a thought for how lucky we are to fly helis. enjoy a sandwich and a brew and if someone will hire a humble ppl a machine il see you all there.

parasite drag
13th Aug 2010, 13:49
"how lucky we are to fly helis"

Where does luck come into it ??

I put my machine and ppl(h) down to hard graft and dedication....

You get out of life what you put in !!!

Have a good meet guys...praying for good weather for you :ok:

Chopperman
13th Aug 2010, 16:43
Barton should also review the car parking fees for pilots who are already being ripped off with landing fees

stringfellow
13th Aug 2010, 20:26
parasite drag,

i could not agree more. my ppl too was funded by hard graft and sweat. i agree life is what you make it, il rephrase it too how priviledged we now are to fly.