PDA

View Full Version : CPL plus ATPL exams????

Clintonb
5th Aug 2010, 05:32
kinda confused how many exams there are total.

if you have a CPL why do you have to do all 14 exams for ATPL i thought the CPL exams are included in the 14 ATPL exams

thanks for the info

punk666
5th Aug 2010, 06:46
No there not :mad: thats why its recommended to do them before starting the CPL to save you doing them twice. :ok:

paco
5th Aug 2010, 06:51
For aeroplanes, the CPL is of a very much lower academic standard than the ATPL. That's not the case for helicopters (only the IR stuff is missing), which is why you only need 6 exams to upgrade for them.

Phil

dobbin1
5th Aug 2010, 16:07
I don't think the CPLs are a "much lower acedemic" standard - they just exclude some (but not all) elements that are not relevent to the sort of pilots who just need a CPL. For example, high speed flight (Mach numbers) is not included, but you still need to know how many fire extinguishers are needed on a 737 in order to pass.

Clintonb
6th Aug 2010, 03:02
thanks for the quick response guys. heres another question maybe you can help me out.
thinking of doing my training at a school in florida hoping to get my JAA ATPL eventually which i think ill do distance learning once ive got everything. the school tells me seeing that i want to work in europe later, in the course i dont need to take the SE commercial because in europe they dont really ask you for it or care about it its the ME commercial. so is this true? which is nice of them to tell me and not take my money so would save me few bucks or do u really need a single Engine commercial.

thanks again for the information.
safe flying

alphaadrian
6th Aug 2010, 16:49
Clintonb

In Europe (JAA), there is no differentiation between SE Commercial and ME Commercial. The CPL merely allows you to be paid for flying.You can obtain your CPL on a SEP (as most people do) or if you have loadsa cash, you can do it on a MEP. The big difference is in the IR. If you do your IR on a SEP you would get a SEIR which is pretty much worthless over here commercially. You need a MEIR. I hope I have understood your question and hope this is of help,

Alpha

Clintonb
9th Aug 2010, 08:28
Hi Alpha

Thanks for your help. yes totally understand what you saying. just wanted to know whether its worth do it as the course that im looking at includes in the price SEIR and MEIR. So ive heard from few people that because im planning on working in europe i dont need the SEIR so i should ask the school if theres a possibility in taking the SEIR out of the course and just do the MEIR making the course a bit more cheaper.

MagicTiger
9th Aug 2010, 08:53
In UK most courses I have seen dont do SEIR and MEIR, normally you just do MEIR, and that is all you need.

You do the CPL in the SE, because it is cheaper, and with your MEIR your rating covers all you need to have.

Just CPL - SE, ME & MEIR that's all.

If you want to spend more money you can do your CPL in ME, but there is no need for that, as all will be covered in your ME IR and your ME rating.

wangus
9th Aug 2010, 09:46
I would strongly recommend, if you are a minimum hour pilot, completeing the CPL on a single-engine aircraft. I found the CPL much harder (first time pass, out of Wellesbourne) than the the multi-IR, and several of my friends (current airline pilots) have swallowed their pride and agreed. The CPL is full of "rabbit holes" in my opinion. I would recommend a slow stable aircraft. 2 blade PA-28R was my beast, 120 knots cruise. Unless you are testing for ME/CPL in Florida with Father Christmas "Paul", you might want to consider thinking about this perspective. Completing the MEP later (BE 76 Duchess) was the most fun I have had at any stage in my flying.