PDA

View Full Version : Why?

stickandrudderman
4th Aug 2010, 19:10
Why is it that it's always my left shoelace that comes undone, never my right?:confused:

rgbrock1
4th Aug 2010, 19:11
Perhaps you're left-footed? :}:}:}

treadigraph
4th Aug 2010, 19:12
That's very sinister...

ArthurR
4th Aug 2010, 19:29
Mine is always the right one, might be a conspiracy here somewhere? :E

Saintsman
4th Aug 2010, 19:37
Why is it that it's always my left shoelace that comes undone, never my right?

Perhaps you should stick to slip-ons ;)

goudie
4th Aug 2010, 19:53
Velcro is your friend

Gentleman Jim
4th Aug 2010, 19:55
Because you are in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern, it will be your right shoe.

cavortingcheetah
4th Aug 2010, 19:56
It's because of the Coriolis force. If you change hemispheres you will begin to notice the right lace coming undone instead.

Flash2001
4th Aug 2010, 20:02
As one walks across the equator do both come undone or do they remain tied? We need to know!

Blues&twos
4th Aug 2010, 21:31
Do you have cats?

RJM
4th Aug 2010, 21:44
A pair of those brown tartan slippers, worn with socks, can look a lot more fashionable than people realise.

SoundBarrier
4th Aug 2010, 22:17
Try this...

Reverse the method of how you tie you shoe laces. For example if you usually start with the right foot start with the left, and then, more confusingly, do the tieing of the laces the other way round. For example if you usually do right-over left, loop on the left, round the loop and through...do it left-over-right, loop on right, round the loop and through and see what happens.

Report back.

I suspect at minimum you will take 80% longer to do your laces and now your right shoe will come undone and not your left.

G-CPTN
4th Aug 2010, 22:27
do the tieing of the laces the other way round
I was going to suggest that - then I realised that tying my shoelaces is something that I do without thinking (or looking) - like tying a tie, too.

tony draper
4th Aug 2010, 22:32
One favors Slip ons not tied any laces for years:)

Juliet Sierra Papa
4th Aug 2010, 22:42
Its to do with the length of trouser legs. 1 Pair of current work trousers and many lace, L&R problems. Other trousers, slightly longer leg with same shoes and no problems. Looks like you got a slightly longer Human or trouser leg. :ok:

ShyTorque
4th Aug 2010, 22:43
Why is it that it's always my left shoelace that comes undone, never my right?

Let's go for a simple process of elimination.

Firstly, how many legs yer got? :)

lomapaseo
5th Aug 2010, 01:14
One favors Slip ons not tied any laces for yearshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Agree, since I do a lot of walking I need something that won't migrate on my foot, so I have taken to using those velcro strap types. I can get in and out of those in about 3 secs and I don't run out of air in this short time while bent over adjusting them.

Now I suspect that a few well fit individuals will wonder why I would run out of air while bent over tieing my shoe laces :confused:

Frank Arouet
5th Aug 2010, 01:28
Get your Mum to tie double knots.

critter592
5th Aug 2010, 02:07
Something's afoot... :}

jet_noseover
5th Aug 2010, 02:27
Be happy it's only lace coming undone. That lefty could be squeaky. Most annoying when only one shoe does it.
Did someone say when it happens it means the shoe was stolen?

Loose rivets
5th Aug 2010, 04:58
Not as bad as the Rivetess. When we'd go for our walks, she'd usually get to about the 200 yard mark, and then stop.

"I've got a stone in my shoe."

"Oh, not again!!!!!!!!!!! You can't have!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'd hold her arm as she undid the knot that was invented for mountain climbers, and took off the offending shoe. There would be the little stone.

After about twenty years of this........Now, I know you'll think I'm exaggerating here, but I'm not. Twenty years, I tried to come up with some explanation. With the aid of Grey's Anatomy, we concluded she had a small tube that ran down the leg, and deposited the stones in her shoes. We couldn't work out where they were coming from however . . . well, not until now.

stickandrudderman
6th Aug 2010, 22:08
Some interesting hypothesis here. The trouser leg one in particular has some merit. The only trouble with it is that it doesn't take in to account the fact that I suffer the same trip hazard even when I'm wearing a skirt...:\

RegDep
6th Aug 2010, 22:16
stickandrudderman: Tried a drop of molasses in the knot of your left shoelace? Good for pre-testing before using glue.

gingernut
6th Aug 2010, 22:40
There could be science here, and it could have something to do with the fact that most men (and women) aren't symmetrical.

Most mens' testicles dangles at different lengths, right further than left, which has an effect on what angle the penis dangles. You're probably not that aware, but it is the reason why tailor's ask the question, "does sir dress to the left?"

How this transmits to which shoelace comes unfastenned first, I'm not too sure:)

RegDep
6th Aug 2010, 22:43
Exactly! That's why you should not resort to glue as the first option.

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 22:59
You would not have had this problem 600 years ago,shoes did not come in left and right they were configured to fit either foot,anyway the answer to the original question is simple,nature abhors left handedness near as much as a vacuum.
Dextrorotarianism is the natural order of things.
:rolleyes:

Synthetic
6th Aug 2010, 23:20
Mr Draper - you have just watched QI.

J'accuse.:)

Lon More
6th Aug 2010, 23:32
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ECODePT6VHM&amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ECODePT6VHM&amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tony draper
6th Aug 2010, 23:41
One retains the illusion of being a erudite chap simply by watching QI.