PDA

View Full Version : How Hot Are The Engine Cowlings?

donnlass
4th Aug 2010, 13:58
Ok I know this is probably a serious SLF question
:}:} but anyway my partner wants to know is it possible to touch the engines when the plane reaches the gate after a flight or how long does it take for the engines to cool so you could touch them?

spannersatcx
4th Aug 2010, 14:26
my partner wants to know yeah right!

fan cowls, not hot generally, core cowls very hot will take your skin off. Will take several hours to cool to ambient, we wear gloves and overalls when working on hot engines to stop burns.

KBPsen
4th Aug 2010, 14:29
It is only the tail cone (the metal bit sticking out the back) that gets hot. The rest can be touched without problems as soon as the engine is shut down.

I would wait for at least 30 minutes after shut down before putting my hands on the tail cone, and then I would do it cautiously.

KBPsen
6th Aug 2010, 18:05
Is it not the done thing around here to acknowledge answers given?

KBPsen
7th Aug 2010, 07:32
donnlass http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Last Activity: Yesterday 14:11

There is little point in answering questions from people who never return. A quick search shows that donnlass has a habit of doing just that.

L4key
7th Aug 2010, 09:16
Donnlass is a frequent poster on here and always polite and well mannered.

I'm not sure your formal request for acknowledgement is required!

Anyway I'm sure there's a valid reason. As it happens I was interested to hear your answer so thank-you from me.

Gas Bags
7th Aug 2010, 09:23
Your answer is concise and 100% correct KBPsen...Thanks.

GB