PDA

View Full Version : Bad EEG

VT-ASM
4th Aug 2010, 12:15
Hi there !

I took an EEG test as per the medical requirements of my country.
Unfortunately I was declared unfit due to a few spikes observed in the graph.
I have had absolutely no history of convulsions or epilepsy.
Is there a chance that smoking and bad sleep affect your EEG ?

Any info will be appreciated..

Regards

Dufo
4th Aug 2010, 22:30
I had the same twitch.. turned out to be 'badly calibrated' machine. Re-took the test, passed the check without problems.

172_driver
5th Aug 2010, 02:58
Same here, did the EEG three times. The output graph was analyzed by different doctors, one who stated "epileptic tendencies" whereas the other stated "no epileptic tendencies".. I was accepted eventually. Have never had any epilepsy or fits in the past.

Yes, the final EEG I did was under sleep deprivation. The doctors said they could get more distinct readings in that case. But it also seems the analysis made by different doctors may vary.

irvinelmo
7th Aug 2010, 09:48
Hi,
I haven't had video EEGs, but have been hospitalized several times in the last 7 months for other problems- and have healthcare experience...... write to the patient relations person at that hospital about no cup, and how you felt- they need to know how they effect patients with things they do....I've written to patient relations people several times when I knew things weren't right, and if nothing else, I know I made myself 'heard'....I also got replies back, which at least let me know they read my letters. There's no excuse for no cup with meds....

znww5
7th Aug 2010, 12:21
A long time ago a pal of mine was screened for epilepsy by the UK CAA, they used a series of tests involving strobe lights and different patterns whilst connected to an EEG. He was fine - maybe they don't do that these days, but at least it was conclusive.

homonculus
7th Aug 2010, 16:22
irvinelmo - I am glad you live abroad. We are talking about a report on an EEG - a massive amount of data - where different doctors have given different opinions. Differing opinions are no basis upon which to fire off a complaint. Doctors dont report an abnormality to wind the patient up, nor do we hide abnormalities because of upsetting patients. I dont know what you have winged about in the past, but your comments are inappropriate.

The EEG is a large amount of raw data - a bit like the old DECCA print outs. There can be artifacts and other false readings. Different people will put different weight on this. Different reporters will also put different significance on aspects of the data. So dont be surprised to get differing results on a borderline EEG which may or may not be abnormal.

The CAA introduced strobe EEGs with JAR - it was horrible, but soon got dumped as an unreliable test.

In the UK I would recommend you ask the CAA to advise on the report and if that doesnt go your way ask one of the handful of neurophysiologists who spend their lives reading EEGs to re report it

Good luck