PDA

View Full Version : Massive Solar Flare 1/8/10 Solar tsunami

Richard Taylor
3rd Aug 2010, 20:39
Anything unusual up there yet? Bit of a red glow in the sky here but I think the local school has been set on fire again! :rolleyes:

What can be expected from this event? Satellites fried? Communication armageddon?

Should we send for Bruce Willis yet? ;)

Juliet Sierra Papa
3rd Aug 2010, 21:00
There is much to read about this latest outburst of Solar activity, here (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/295468) is one of them. Try a GooGoo search of Mass Corona Ejecton 2010 or Solar Storm 2010 etc.
:ok:

Keef
3rd Aug 2010, 21:20
Very little, based on the numbers so far. Might be a bit of auroral propagation, and maybe the Scots will see some aurora.

tony draper
3rd Aug 2010, 21:24
Just as well that hole in the Ozone Layer healed up.:uhoh:

wittonbob
3rd Aug 2010, 21:26
Is anyone concerned about the recent solar event which should reach us 3/8/10 and 4/8/10? At the least it will affect HF comms but may cause greater difficulties. Have a look at :-

Spaceweather.com Time Machine (http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=03&month=08&year=2010)

G-CPTN
3rd Aug 2010, 21:29
Have they considered bring down the crew from the ISS?

11Fan
3rd Aug 2010, 21:36

IIRC, there are "protected" areas within the ISS. Depends on the severity. If it was going to be that bad, they would already be on their way back. I did hear an earlier report that they were instructed to stow all microwave popcorn though. Probably unrelated.

Gentleman Jim
4th Aug 2010, 02:25
The problem for the crew on the ISS is that they currently have one of their two cooling systems down and MUST do a spacewalk to fit a new cooling system (spares are stored on the outside), so accessing or living in 'protected areas' may not be so simple. They have already had to close down many systems until a repair is effected.There are also no other flights planned to the ISS until November.

onetrack
4th Aug 2010, 02:34
I can't wait for Al Gore to proclaim that the frantic, polluting activity of humans on the Earth has now led to a massive solar flare, that will increase Global Warming.

This will surely be worth at least another $200M to him, by the time the profits from the new book, and the global lecture tour are collated... :E

11Fan
4th Aug 2010, 02:44
If it was going to be that bad, they would already be on their way back.

The X-37B just landed at Edwards AFB in the High Desert of California and the phone on the ISS keeps going to answering machine.......

"Hi, this is is Alex, Tracy, Mik, Shannon, Doug and Fyodor. We're not in right now, but please leave a message and we'll call you back when we return. Have a great day!"

I kid, I kid.

Buster Hyman
4th Aug 2010, 02:57
We've got our top people working on this...

http://www.space1999.net/simy1/Sidereal_Hour_Koenig_Bergman.JPG

Oh...and please don't make me watch Knowing again...:sad:

Gentleman Jim
4th Aug 2010, 03:23
Just searching the spaceweather site, and thought this interesting. In Sept and Oct there are two big lumps of rock (45m and 595m respectively) that come within 7 and 5 lunar distances of Earth. Not that far away on the grand scheme of things.

So, anyone up North see any nice light shows last night?

Loose rivets
4th Aug 2010, 03:53
Couldn't we have had a picture of Mrs Blessed?

sitigeltfel
4th Aug 2010, 04:56
What can be expected from this event? A glowing suntan?

Richard Taylor
4th Aug 2010, 06:14
Well...everyone still seems to be alive, birds are singing, all is well, communications appear normal07834567- rthr7-03484-w45645690-6odfsrgfshgf.:uhoh:

Buster Hyman
4th Aug 2010, 07:44
A glowing suntan?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb8vPT5eRnEmcs3UrM-7MR8gZRGR5-IY3CuVtYjQDpzo0fBQM&t=1&usg=__gPhXG1vmf6TgE59EPvcadKsUZW0=

OMFG!!! http://www.videoetesti.com/wp-includes/images/emoticons/afraid.gif

iws
4th Aug 2010, 12:36
Despite all the interest, the recent Solar flares have been relatively low-energy.

The Scale increases in powers of 10 from B to C to M to X.

M-class flares and above are the ones that really cause problems, C3 class and B class are really small beer.

Part of the interest is due to these being the first signs of reasonable activity on the Sun after a longish Solar Minimum. Also, there are a couple of new spacecraft that are sending back spectacular details, so the scientists can go OOH-AH!

Just wait for a couple of years...

Cheerio
4th Aug 2010, 22:04
So what have you got tonight? Here in rural North Aberdeenshire, Mrs C just came in from putting the hens to bed and said that the barley fields look like snow and the whitewashed house looks like its lit up by UV light. She didn't know anything about the solar activity.... But its true, and the sky to the north (normally black by now) is brilliant light blue and luminescent, far, far outshining the redness of the set sun to the north east. No curtains or wavering, just bright, bright light blue.

RJM
5th Aug 2010, 06:02
Good Aurora Australis being seen south of here, they say.

Nemrytter
5th Aug 2010, 09:28

It is a non-event as far as non-polar low earth orbit satellites are concerned. I'm not aware of any satellites that have had to change operation mode as a result of this CME, even the polar ones.

There are also no other flights planned to the ISS until November.

There's a Progress flight in early September and a Soyuz in November...:ok:

So, anyone up North see any nice light shows last night?

For the first time I saw Aurora from Copenhagen, not as good as the ones I saw when I lived in Kiruna, but nice nonetheless. It occurred at sunset, so there was a rather beautiful blue, green and red sky to the North.

Despite all the interest, the recent Solar flares have been relatively low-energy.

This isn't anything to do with solar flares, we were hit by a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME). There's predicted to be a second one hitting us in a few hours, but it seems to have less energy than the first.

iws
5th Aug 2010, 19:33
I do realise that the Aurora is caused by a CME pushing out the Earth's Magnetic field lines until they disconnect and snap back, propelling hig-speed electrons down through the upper atmosphere (I occasionally lecture on the Earth/Sun environment).

What I was saying, perhaps clumsily, was that in the general scheme of solar events, the recent events were relatively minor, compared with what might happen with more active Sun in a few years.

rgbrock1
5th Aug 2010, 19:43
Can these high speed electrons being propelled through Earth's atmosphere zap people?

If so, I have quite a few candidates in mind. :ok:

tony draper
5th Aug 2010, 19:44
It's ok it will just be like being on defrost for a few minutes.:rolleyes:

iws
5th Aug 2010, 19:52
No, practically all of the high-speed electrons are hoovered up by the alien space crafts as an energy source, so not much gets to us.

rgbrock1
5th Aug 2010, 19:55
Then I'll submit an extensive list of names to the alien spacecraft occupants for the hoovering up aforementioned candidates. :ok:

11Fan
5th Aug 2010, 20:31
http://www.patandkat.com/pat/weblog/images/ugly.png

tony draper
5th Aug 2010, 20:55
I would be shouting "Take me back! Take me back!":rolleyes:

TURIN
6th Aug 2010, 22:38
Wandering back home last night after a late finish, I thought I would stop and have a shufty for said Aurora. All I got were three satellites, a couple of shooting stars and a stiff neck. Oh yes, and I nearly cacked meself when some mad nocturnal beast let out a huge screech! Never heard anything like it before. Scared me to death. Not what one expects in darkest Cheshire. :eek:

onetrack
7th Aug 2010, 12:53
TURIN - Quite possibly a fox making the blood-curdling screech. Nothing like a fox screech in the dark of night, to make the hairs on the back of one's neck stand up... :E

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2010, 12:58
0cPg7_nyoBc

TURIN
7th Aug 2010, 13:07
That were it! Except a heeluva lot louder. Can't believe, here I am closer to 50 than 40 and I've never heard it before. Mustn't be working late enough. :E

Thankyou G-CAPT & onetrack.:ok:

OFSO
7th Aug 2010, 15:26
Since we have drifted off into animal noises: I heard something similar to that last month, but (a) more than one, and (b) passing overhead. A flock of flying foxes ? Whatever, very erie late at night, with a nascent moon on the horizon and clouds scudding past...... I have no idea at all what sort of birds can make sounds like that.

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2010, 15:29
Barn Owls 'screech' (sometimes called screech-owls). If you are close it can sound similar to foxes voicing.

Tawny Owls 'tu-whit-to-whoo' . . .

a_BBLuRGhwg

Richard Taylor
8th Aug 2010, 17:37
Just back from overnight camping trip to Glen etive. Saw b*gger all except for plenty ****** midges! Not so much Northern lights, more Northern bites!

Serves me right for heading out to the west coast of Scotland in midgie season, even if the scenery was fantastic.