PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the subsahara

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 14:20
I'm planning another flight (ETD 11/2010) from Europe to Mali via Algeria or Morocco. Does anybody have any news about avgas availability in Algeria (Tamanrasset), Mali (Tessalit, Tombuctu, Mopti, Gao), Niger (Niamey, Agadez), Burkinoa Faso (Ouagadougou). Former trips revealed avgas to be very difficult to get, but at this time I did'nt know this forum yet..

Jumbo744
3rd Aug 2010, 16:27
That's one of my dreams, fly from europe to africa alone, must be a great adventure. You will find 100ll in agadez and niamey. Good luck! PM if you need any info about Niger.

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 17:36
it's a flight with a photographer, loving low level flights. A/C is a Piper Saratoga which proved to be very useful on other occasions - a flight from Switzerland to Cameroon in 2008 an across Alergia 2009.

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 17:46
I am astonished - and pleased - about your information saying that Avgas should be available in Niamey and Agadez. Do you know this for sure ? Two years ago we landed in Agadez : Airfield occupied by soldiers, no traffic since month and - no Avgas. At least at the first glance. Finally a Pilot based in Niamey sold us a large part of his last reserve permitting to continue to Niamey, where we could fill up. To weeks later, coming home from Yaounde, Niamey was sold out as well, but this nice pilot got some 100 USG from the Ministry of Agricultre, arguing that he had helped these chaps on another occasion before.

And : I assure you - crisscrossing the Sahara 3000' AGL is a real adventure. Hopefully we can repeat it in november - all depending on the availability of Avgas south of Algeria.

Jumbo744
3rd Aug 2010, 19:41
Hi!

2 years ago was a bad moment to go to Agadez, it's a bit better now, but I would still avoid it. But you have been there at the worst possible time so there shouldn't be any problems now. I will get precise info tomorrow on the avgas availability in Agadez. As for Niamey, I think I know who is the pilot that sold you his stock. You can also contact SIM (humanitarians), they own a C182 and must have a reserve of avgas. If not, I can put you in contact with other people.

I will send you a PM tomorrow with more info.

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 20:11
this sounds very encouraging. And : the nice guy I mentioned was Akly Joulia. Since I have left Niamey, I have tried to contact him by any means - no reply. Do you know him ? Do you know how to contact him ?