PDA

View Full Version : Win XP SP3 'Restart required'

BOAC
3rd Aug 2010, 12:53
I have just done a raft of updates on my HP laptop and have a persistent 'restart required' on each reboot. No clues on the pop-up window. Is there a neat way to identify which update is prompting this without the tedium of stopping each start-up item?

cats_five
3rd Aug 2010, 12:58
Maybe the clue is 'raft of updates'. You install a set of updates, it does them, maybe it needs an update. Then you may well find another set of updates needing to be done, if you were behind...

BOAC
3rd Aug 2010, 13:27
Yeah - but I would not expect a 'restart' prompt?

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Aug 2010, 15:15
Patches can (and usually do) prompt for restart if they cannot themselves access/replace a file in use with a service, or restart the service itself. This is most common when the patch relates to a core part of the o/s.

Patches are monolithic unless rolled up into a service pack, and hence you could even get to the point of 1 patch = 1 restart.

There are scenarios whereby the patch delivery gets screwed though, and the same patch will request to be installed again and again, along with the associated reboot request. This is where you rebuild the SoftwareDistribution files as per the thread post I wrote a couple of weeks ago.

M.

BOAC
3rd Aug 2010, 16:24
Useful stuff, both - thanks. Checking the record of installation I see two updates on 24/7 'failed' KB2229593 and Malicious Software Removal, although the KB patch shows up in add/remove as installed. I removed it and downloaded again but it still shows 'fail' so I guess your 'fix' is next, MB.

EDIT: Looks as if MB has partly cracked it - I 'removed' KB2229593 and cleared the update folder, ran update and it located the 'need' for same and it installed again, this time successfully BUT I am still getting the reboot request. Machine is unusually slow too - MBAM shows clean. Still showing Malicious software (July) failed.

BOAC
3rd Aug 2010, 20:58
Assuming that this problem may be due to a 'rogue' patch installation, is there any place I can look to track down which patch? EG Registry/startup etc.

mad_jock
3rd Aug 2010, 21:18
What does this reg key have next to it?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windo wsUpdate\AU

BOAC
3rd Aug 2010, 21:53
He no there, but I have an Auto Update folder in microsoft/windows/c version.

mad_jock
3rd Aug 2010, 22:05
I seem to remember!!!!

Now this is a few years ago now there is a reg key which controls it.

I have had it stuck and the problem was a patch was failing to remove the key.

Have a look at this.

Disable Automatic Reboot after Windows Update | AskStudent (http://www.askstudent.com/techtips/disable-automatic-reboot-after-windows-update/)

Its not really curing the problem though.

I have a feeling it was another key I tampered with. Unfortunately I don't have access to the MS knowledge bases any more which was where i found it the first time.

But just found a link....

But you all have to promise not to tell Loose Rivets about it...

TechNet Library Home (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx)

If you search for xp reboot there are a heap of articles.

seems its a well known issue with SP3 you need to reboot using a CD and replace a file.

WIndows XP Service Pack 3 (RTW) Reboot Loop! NO BSOD OR GDI ERROR (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/5cfbe71b-55ed-4d0a-bf9f-0a8d8a0479c2)

BOAC
4th Aug 2010, 06:58
mj - thanks for the hard work I see from link 1 I should have stated XP Home on the laptop, but as for
"2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Policies \Microsoft\Windows \WindowsUpdate\AU
3. Change the “NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers” DWord value to 1 to Disallow auto reboot."
the folder is not there.
I may not have made it plain, but it is not an automatic reboot, nor is it a typical post update mx box, but a simple you 'need to restart...' blah blah blah.. If I could find which bit of the reg produces the box I will be half way there!

It actually looks like an 'a.n.other' software reboot prompt which may be nothing to do with Win Update? I could screenshot it here.

mad_jock
4th Aug 2010, 09:31
Aye screen shot it

And also start her up in safe mode and see if that stops it.

If it does we can start doing the trial and error elimination of whats giving you the issue.

I would have a shot at swapping that file as well.

BOAC
4th Aug 2010, 12:21
Finally cracked it - Adobe reader update. I've done the necessary slaughtering of files and all is well again. Thanks all for the usual impeccable service.:ok: