PDA

View Full Version : FAA JAA Conversion P1 issue

faajaaconversion
2nd Aug 2010, 19:27
hello all,
I'm hoping someone can clear an issue i have up. I started off my flight training in sunny Daytona Beach.
I took my PPL in a 172 and obviously the solo time is P1 , next i took my Instrument Rating in a 172 as-well which i was told i could log as P1, then i took my Multi add one in a seneca which was all dual then i took my Commercial in a seneca as-well which i was also told i could log as P1.
I then returned to England and did the Atpls exams and started the long process of Converting my Licenses.
Now this is the bit im unsure on, as ive been told different things by different people.
Ive taken the Cpl test and Multi Test and am currently in the process of completing the IR,in order to convert the CPL i need a min of 100 P1 hours.

The question is will the CAA acknowledge the time I logged as P1 during my training in the States for the IR and the Commercial or will they dismiss this time as Dual ONLY??? I hope someone can put me straight on this, thanks

mcgoo
2nd Aug 2010, 19:36
It will be dual.

BigGrecian
2nd Aug 2010, 19:49
I find it incredible you managed to get through a JAA CPL without knowing how to log flight time but anyhow....

Section Page 44 of LASORS 2008 Documents | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors) applies with regarding to logging of flight time.

In order to convert the CPL i need a min of 100 P1 hours.

Yes true for the CPL licence issue not for the ME(P) which some people get confused about.

If you are talking about the ME(P) conversion Section F of LASORS states that if you hold an ICAO rating equivilant you can complete training at the discretion of the head of training.

To me it appears that you haven't read any of the UK regulations - which I think would be a good place to start read from LASORS 2008 Documents | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors) especially since it's your responsibility to comply with them at licence issue.

Section A Page 44
Section D1.2(D) for Commerical
Section E for the instrument rating requirements
Section F for the multi Engine

MagicTiger
2nd Aug 2010, 21:35
A quick question, you done your ATPL's, did you read anything about Air Law? Or did you just Bristol it? :ugh:

B2N2
2nd Aug 2010, 23:42
Not to kick you while you're down but this could all have been prevented if you would have told the school in the US in advance what your needs are hours wise.
The school should have known better, dealing with European students.
The differences in logging between JAA and FAA are not exactly Top Secret.:hmm:

Sam Rutherford
13th Oct 2010, 19:03
At the risk of being zapped like the first poster, I have a question that I should have been able to find; but have failed.

I have FAA CPL/IR, and most of my fixed wing hours are on N aircraft. For a future JAA CPL, can I use these hours to make up the minimum requirements (ie the aircraft I have flown have not been issued JAA State airworthiness certs).

My searching has not pulled up anything definitive either way.

Safe flights, Sam.

mcgoo
13th Oct 2010, 19:11
Yes you can

BillieBob
13th Oct 2010, 23:52
My searching has not pulled up anything definitive either way.If your searching had included the source document (JAR-FCL 1), you would have found JAR-FCL 1.155(b)(1), which states:

Experience. An applicant for a CPL(A) who is not a graduate from an integrated flying training course shall have completed as a pilot on aeroplanes having a certificate of airworthiness issued or accepted by a JAA Member State at least 200 hours of flight time.

A quick call to the licensing authority of the relevant JAA state would then have confirmed that an FAA C of A is acceptable.

Permafrost_ATPL
14th Oct 2010, 08:43
From the original poster:
I then returned to England and did the Atpls exams and started the long process of Converting my Licenses

From one of the numerous posters who can't read:
I find it incredible you managed to get through a JAA CPL without knowing how to log flight time but anyhow....

The poor chap did FAA (read again, FAA, not JAA) licenses in the states and over there the rules are that pretty much any time after PPL is counted as P1, INCLUDING Instrument Rating. In other words, he did what the FAR book said and what his instructors said.

Now on CONVERTING his licenses, he found out that JAA count any training as Dual, not P1. Oops!

Now if his plan was always to convert his licenses to JAA, he probably should have looked into the conversion process and the hours required in more detail. But if, like myself, he did his PPL/IR in the USA and then later on decided to move back to the UK and get an ATPL he would have been caught completely unaware. I certainly did and went into complete panic until I added up the remaining hours outside Dual and P2 and found that I had 135 hours P1 hours (as per JAA criteria). Thank god for all those long cross countries to Vegas and Napa Valley :-)

So the answer the original question, the CAA will only count your IR and Multi-CPL training hours as Dual. Only P1 is post PPL solo time and flight tests.

P

INNflight
14th Oct 2010, 08:59
Folks are right on P1, dual is not counting towards it, however as you need 250hrs min for your FAA CPL I'd imagine that you would have gained enough solo time-building hours to easily fulfill the 100hrs P1 requirement?!?

I did it exactly the same way, FAA CPL ME IR to JAA - 100hrs P1 were not an issue.

Sam Rutherford
14th Oct 2010, 12:14
Thanks for that - cleared the mists...

Safe flights, Sam.

BigGrecian
14th Oct 2010, 14:11
The poor chap did FAA (read again, FAA, not JAA) licenses in the states and over there the rules are that pretty much any time after PPL is counted as P1, INCLUDING Instrument Rating. In other words, he did what the FAR book said and what his instructors said.

He also stated he has passed the JAA CPL test.
Not knowing the regs for logging flight training and having passed the JAA CPL passed - kind of worrying.

Permafrost_ATPL
14th Oct 2010, 19:34
Infers he did not know the FAA regs either - if he had to be 'told'. equally worrying.

Did you go to patronising class or is it a gift?

The guy did what just about every other student did when he started his IR. "Hey Mike, do I log this as P1 or P2?". Not "Hey Mike, I suppose that since you're an instructor approved by the FAA you might be able to answer a question about logging hours. But I don't trust you, so I'll go find the answer in the FARs instead".

Sigh.