PDA

View Full Version : Test flying the Hughes/MD 500 and H-6 Series. Request for info.

500 Fan
2nd Aug 2010, 15:37
I am currently carrying out research for a proposed book. The subject of the book is the history of the test and prototype versions of the Hughes/MD/Boeing family of H-6/Model 500 helicopters. I am hoping to cover everything from the very first YOH-6 through to today's Boeing AH-6X and AH-6i versions. As well as the testing carried out for the various production models, numerous prototypes were tested that never made it into production, as well as numerous test ships that flew with NASA and others testing all sorts of innovative rotorcraft technology. I have been fortunate enough to have made contact with a number of Hughes/MD test pilots and they have supplied me with a huge amount of valuable information. I am posting this topic seeking to make contact with anyone, pilots or engineers, who were involved with testing and developing the various H-6/Model 500 prototypes, test ships and production versions with Hughes and MD from 1963 onwards. Any assistance that anyone directly involved with the testing of the H-6/H500 can offer would be greatly apprecited and would be a huge help towards the success of this project. One person in particular that I am trying to make contact with is Gene P. Munson. If anyone has an email address for Gene and thinks he might be able to help, I'd really like to make contact with him. I have been supplied with one email address for Gene but I don't know how current it is.

I have already posted this request on the "Just Helicopters" Forum. If anyone can suggest any other American helicopter forum where this request could be posted, please let me know. Thanks.

500 Fan.

170'
2nd Aug 2010, 21:44
You might be able to contact Gene thru Twirlybirds, he's a member.
Twirly Birds (http://www.twirlybirds.org)

170'

500 Fan
2nd Aug 2010, 22:13
Thanks 170'. I received another possible contact for Gene in a PM. If that doesn't work, I'll give this site a go. Thanks for your help.

500 Fan.

starflex3
3rd Aug 2010, 04:20
Have a look online at Amazon and search for a book named "Loach" it is a history of the OH-6/369 series of helicopter!

Shawn Coyle
3rd Aug 2010, 14:55
Do you think Ray Prouty might have some info?

500 Fan
3rd Aug 2010, 22:53
Hi Starflex. Yep, I have that book and Donald Porter's book on the OH-6A as well. Both very useful.

Shawn, if you could PM me any contact details for Ray, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

500 Fan.

BigMike
4th Aug 2010, 07:07
Rich Lee is on this site sometimes. I believe he is a former MD Test Pilot, try a pm to him. He has made some very interesting posts over the years on the 500.

500 Fan
4th Aug 2010, 10:47
Thanks BigMike, I've sent Rich a PM.

500 Fan.

500 Fan
15th Aug 2010, 13:31
I haven't had much luck in contacting Ray Prouty or Gene Munson yet but I'm still trying.

While my original request was for contact with people directly involved with Hughes and McDonnell Douglas Helicopters, if anyone here thinks they might have some useful information, please pass it on, no matter how insignificant it might appear. Every little scrap of information contributes towards building an accurate history of these machines. I have cleaned out ebay of almost all useful magazines, books and company documents relevant to my research and the Flight Global Archives has also been a valuable source of information. If anyone has any books, magazines or official press releases/photos from the period from approximately 1970 until 1985 and can scan, photocopy or even summarise their contents, I would be extremely grateful. As before, any assistance in this project will be gratefully received.

I have set up an email address for any info that anyone can forward in relation to my request. It is [email protected].

Thank you.:ok:

500 Fan.

Bravo73
15th Aug 2010, 15:29
500 Fan,

Have you contacted fling-wing_1 (http://www.pprune.org/members/109545-fling-wing_1) yet?

In the thread about the unfortunate recent accident near Minsk (http://www.pprune.org/5863909-post38.html), he mentions that:

A few years ago I made the acquaintance of a gent who was a production test pilot for Hughes back in the Vietnam era.
I hope this helps with your quest.

B73