PDA

View Full Version : Pay for your own type - and a bond - how does this make sense?

shon7
2nd Aug 2010, 04:19
Ok further to my earlier post, if I understand some of the responses and some of what is posted -- there are employers that will hire you only if you are typed or you pay for your own type rating -- and even after that you are required to sign a bond? How does this make sense? What is the bond for?

Just read the AI advert for 777. So they want type rated pilots and then also a bond - i.e. pay them if you leave before 5 yrs. If you already hold the type what are you paying for. Please help me understand this.

TopTup
2nd Aug 2010, 05:54
Since the advent of LCC "Flag Carrier" airlines have seen that they too can jump on the bandwagon of getting pilots to pay for endorsements, etc. A bond is nothing new, but rating + bond is becoming more and more common.

Why?

The rating cost is obvious. The bond (they'll argue) is for the line training, etc. But really (in my eyes) they know that pilots will usually always look for better for opportunities elsewhere, mainly contract pilots: it's the nature of the beast. So, airlines can now still treat you like dirt, screw with your T&C's, roster, etc and FORCE you to stay via the bond. Airlines like Jetstar Asia do this. They make you pay for the endorsement AND open a term deposit (of sorts) with $20 - $40 k USD for 2 years. I can't remember exact amount.... I know that's a big disparency in the figures I gave, apologies. After the said period you can withdraw that money, but if you leave the airline they take all or part of it.

Airlines have discovered that pilots leave (when able, eg age restrictions, personal circumstance, etc come into play) if they are treated like dirt. This costs money in attrition, recruitment and training. So instead of fixing the greedy and unscrupulous operators and managers, they go to the end of the line and force the situation back on the pilot.

Jump and and down as much as we want, there will always be someone lining up to take lesser conditions.

So instead of looking long term, airlines look short term: until the next pay bonus. Look at CX as one prime example. T&C's there are going downhill FAST! Management don't care. Instead they offer jobs without the housing allowance under the guise of cadetships (in effect about 40-50% LESS pay that direct entry pilots). And guess what? Pilots from all around the world are lining up to take this offer. Some of these pilots have over 2500 hrs experience; multi engine turbine command, etc.... all willing to sell their soul to be a Second Officer on a shiny jet for 2-5 years before the chance of FO position. As a second example, look at EK from where they were 10-15 years ago to their credibility now.