PDA

View Full Version : Fish spotting mechanic.

esa17
1st Aug 2010, 22:06
Hi guys, I haven't posted here in years and when I did I didn't post much so please excuse me for that.

Very recently I was contacted about working as a helicopter mechanic on a fish spotting vessel based out of New Zealand. I have a good bit of R44 experience so maintaining the ships isn't my worry.

I am curious if anyone has ever done this sort of thing and knows anything about the quality of life? It's a six-month contract for descent money but it's just a completely unknown to me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Gas Bags
4th Aug 2010, 06:27
No one has answered so I will give it a go....

Sounds to me like a great contract if as you said the money is good. Anyone who can afford to use a chopper to spot fish must have money.

The only thing I would check out is the vessel you would be based off and then research it on the internet.

If all checks out...Go for it!!!

Kerling-Approsh KG
5th Aug 2010, 20:16
If you're going to be

maintaining the ships

You're going to need some very big spanners!

I'd certainly check the vessel out, and try to find out about the crew, nationalities, languages, etc. It could be a very lonely life onboard...

Also, it would be wise to have a hand in working out the stock of spares to be kept on board.

Having a think about how you might uphold your professional standards off shore, outnumbered by fishermen, might be time well spent...

mainwheel
5th Aug 2010, 20:16
Take a deck of cards, and some books.:ok:

Gas Bags
6th Aug 2010, 00:54
Mainwheel, Better add some magazines as well!!!

Jetdoc
6th Aug 2010, 01:21
If you're not tied down or anything, think of it as an adventure. I'm sure you'll probably have some better stories to tell the next time you are standing at the bar.

onetrack
6th Aug 2010, 01:39
esa17 - Imagine yourself crammed into a small number of rooms, with numerous other people, some of whom you don't like, yet you have to work with.

Imagine those small number of rooms permanently heaving and dipping, and never staying still. Imagine constant cold and cold winds.

Imagine that at least one or two of the crew are dope-smoking dropkicks, and their dope-smoking is tolerated.

Imagine that maybe 33% of the crew are good, agreeable people, 33% are tolerable, and 33% are total dropkicks who just make more work for you, and who irritate you greatly.

Imagine that you are stuck with all these people, and there is no escape from them for lengthy periods.

Imagine long periods of sheer boredom and frustration, interspersed by some serious work, and occasionally, with periods of excitement.

You need to be a special kind of person to operate within the confines of a fishing boat, and you need to be able to work with people you can barely tolerate, but can't get away from.

If you can fit in with all of the above, the money will probably compensate for the downsides.

Runaround Valve
6th Aug 2010, 07:40
esa17
Private message sent.
RV.