PDA

View Full Version : Heavy landing in a Cessna 172.

Noah Zark.
1st Aug 2010, 17:30
I hope you don't mind me asking this on here, I know it's not 'Heavy' or commercial, and that any answer is really all guesstimation until a look-see can be had, but for a 'ball-park' sort of answer, if a heavy landing in a C.172 results in a cracked windscreen, what other damage is likely to have occured?
Thanks.
N.Z.

mad_jock
1st Aug 2010, 18:04
Which bits connected with the ground or was it only the main wheels?

If it was just the main wheels I have seen them dropped for 10 ft up with no damage.

If the nose wheel has taken a hit you have to worry about
engine frame bent
Fire wall bent
Nose gear knackard

And if the nose wheel hit that hard I would have a good look at the prop to see if its made ground contact. If it has thats the engine needing checked for shock loading.

If you have hit the tail there is a whole heap of things which need surveyed for being bent.

PS I am not an engineer just an instructor thats had to deal with the fall out of other peoples cockups.

NutLoose
2nd Aug 2010, 10:04
I would have the floor up and check all the structure around the U/C and beyond, also the nose leg and the structure in the cabin behind that, check the engine bearer for damage/distorted tubing and the firewall for buckling, also check the wing mounts for signs of damage and a good look over it externally for any deformed skins or wrinkling bot lower fuselage and wings.. check the main gear too...... tough old birds but the front leg firewall is the weakpoint. also give the seat rails a once over.
without seeing it it is hard to assess, but they should give you some pointers.
As said above check the prop tips for signs of touching.

Noah Zark.
2nd Aug 2010, 19:07
Thanks for the input, guys. The aircraft involved doesn't belong to me (I haven't got a PPL) but I have associations with the machine going back a long way. A new group member (!) did the deed, and until they can get it checked out thoroughly, a couple of the members were trying to get some idea what to expect. Pretty much along the lines of your input.
Thanks again.
N.Z.

mad_jock
2nd Aug 2010, 19:16
Come on :D

You can't leave it at that.

What was the wx at the time?
What did they do?
And when is the public flogging :D

Noah Zark.
3rd Aug 2010, 14:10
M.J.,
I really don't know much more than that at present. The only snippet I heard was that, quote - "there were no weather issues" unquote.
I've been abroad on me jollies for two and a bit weeks, and this was the news that was waiting for me when I arrived home this last weekend. It happened whilst I was away.
I have yet to see my pal who is the group member with whom I fly, he in turn is on his jollies until the middle of next week.

mad_jock
3rd Aug 2010, 16:06
No probs. From an instructors point of view finding out what actually happened means we can forwarn others if doing transfers onto type.

My gut feel without knowing anything was they were to fast on approach followed by either trying to get it onto onto deck to fast and bouncing getting into a PIO or ballooning and stalling it in from quite high up.

And BTW I had some shocking landings in the C172 I used to fly until I got a grip with it after 50 or so hours. So I have every sympathy with the pilot at the controls.