PDA

View Full Version : UAE regulator to suspend BlackBerry services from October 11

NTM
1st Aug 2010, 07:58
gulfnews : UAE regulator to suspend BlackBerry services from October 11 (http://gulfnews.com/business/telecoms/uae-regulator-to-suspend-blackberry-services-from-october-11-1.662333)

allaru
1st Aug 2010, 08:18
Says it all for those of you contemplating coming to the UAE.

After their spying scam/upgrade patch was exposed they've obviously been out smarted by the Canadians and have now got the s%$ts and thrown their toys out of the pram...how childish and backward they are..

Jetjock330
1st Aug 2010, 08:28
What will the users get for AED295 per month now???? no data, no messages, no emails. Sounds like all those office workers will have to get something else to stare at all day long now:}

Would it be possible to get a Blackberry contract from outside UAE to work here, say from Virgin, Orange, Vodacom???

On CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/08/01/uae.blackberry.suspended/index.html?hpt=T2#fbid=KSNTlvIThEN) and BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10830485) too:
Dubai, United Arab Emirates(CNN) -- The United Arab Emirates will suspend some BlackBerry services starting October 11 over security concerns.
The move comes after officials put the BlackBerry under review as a potential national security threat. Telecom officials said data from the devices are exported offshore beyond its jurisdiction.
Etisalat, a UAE-based telecommunications services provider, said it was notified of the suspension Sunday.
Telecom officials will suspend BlackBerry services providing email, web browsing, instant messaging and social networking, according to Etisalat.
Authorities said the suspension will remain until an "acceptable solution can be developed and applied which brings the BlackBerry services in line with the UAE's telecommunications regulations."
The BlackBerry was introduced in the UAE in 2006, one year before the introduction of new national security legislation.
BlackBerry was not immediately available for comment.

Ali Bin Somewhere
1st Aug 2010, 08:46
So if it "allow users to act without any legal accountability, causing judicial, social and national security concerns for the UAE" why are they waiting until Oct 11th? :ugh:

Another big scoop added to the sh%$ bucket. Soon be overflowing and time to go.

Jet II
1st Aug 2010, 09:04
India is also looking at banning Blackberry. If Blackberry dont do something soon this could snowball and wipe them out from a lot of the worlds markets.

Considering that the US and UK have very similar rules (with regards to email and message monitoring) as the UAE (and I suppose India) and that Blackberry have come to a deal with them, you have to wonder why after 3 years of discussion that havn't managed anything with governments in other parts of the world.

5star
1st Aug 2010, 09:46
To those who are not familiar with life in the UAE (and the middle east in general) This latest stint brings everything in line with their policy of big brother spying on you. Every telephone call you make, every mobile phone call or txt message you make or every email you send over the network here in the UAE : it's all being monitored. We also know that the 90% hard working expats cannot be trusted.....

RIP BBerry. Amen. :ugh:

On second thought: I think they will bite the dust (again). Everyone I know (incl ooh soo many locals) with a reasonable good job here in Dubai use BB......

Another mega P.R. disaster if you ask me.....:rolleyes:

twieke
1st Aug 2010, 11:17
It is and will remain a third world country, no matter how high the buildings are....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jet II
1st Aug 2010, 11:25
Every telephone call you make, every mobile phone call or txt message you make or every email you send over the network here in the UAE : it's all being monitored.

LOL - you think that doesn't happen in the US or Europe :E

kotakota
1st Aug 2010, 14:36
Of course we know that nothing is safe out here , we live in a paranoid society , a low self -esteem society , an historically suspicious , xenephobic people , who cannot live up to the 'morally' superior ideals that they think they aspire to themselves. It is down to the fact that cannot 'grow up ' and trust ANYBODY because they do not trust their own instincts. I have never had the experience before of working for people who behave so immaturely.Its a long story personal wise , but I left my boarding school in 1968 , and have spent 40 years dealing with adults , and then I came here .
I thought my 2nd chidhood was supposed to kick in as I became gaga , but no , I have ended up working for a bunch of muppets who have taken me back to school days ,bullying etc , and not having the guts to turn up behind the bike sheds to sort it out .Pathetic .
Not long now , I shall rearrange my deckchair on the Titanic and take to the lifeboat , while the muppets say 'Iceberg , what Iceberg ? '
Anyway , back to the subject , I was very naive but now know that they ARE monitoring every call/email etc - AIR PARANOID. Tossers.

Gulfstreamaviator
1st Aug 2010, 15:44
What alternative to returning the phone, as it has no benefit over the normal Etisalad service.

Am I right in thinking that the ban is on all providers of BB, and not just Etisalad.???? worldwide..????

glf

Jet II
1st Aug 2010, 15:56
Am I right in thinking that the ban is on all providers of BB, and not just Etisalad.???? worldwide..????

I dont think so - if you have an account with a provider in the UK or US I believe your BB will still work. I know some people are trying to find a dual-sim option that allows them to use data services from overseas.

kotakota
1st Aug 2010, 16:41
Maybe they have shares in Apple ?

Jet II
1st Aug 2010, 18:22
it's spreading...

(Zawya Dow Jones)--Saudi Arabia's telecom watchdog has ordered telecom firms operating in the kingdom to stop BlackBerry messenger services later this month, am official said Sunday, hours after regulators in the United Arab Emirates said they would prohibit some BlackBerry services from October.

sheiken around
1st Aug 2010, 19:02
I'm just amazed that they didn't select Sept 11th - instead of October 11th. - to disable the BB data...who knows, maybe if they were on the ball on that day (or before) some years ago, things might be different now...

nolimitholdem
1st Aug 2010, 19:03
Of course we know that nothing is safe out here , we live in a paranoid society , a low self -esteem society , an historically suspicious , xenephobic people , who cannot live up to the 'morally' superior ideals that they think they aspire to themselves. It is down to the fact that cannot 'grow up ' and trust ANYBODY because they do not trust their own instincts. I have never had the experience before of working for people who behave so immaturely.Its a long story personal wise , but I left my boarding school in 1968 , and have spent 40 years dealing with adults , and then I came here .
I thought my 2nd chidhood was supposed to kick in as I became gaga , but no , I have ended up working for a bunch of muppets who have taken me back to school days ,bullying etc , and not having the guts to turn up behind the bike sheds to sort it out .Pathetic .
Not long now , I shall rearrange my deckchair on the Titanic and take to the lifeboat , while the muppets say 'Iceberg , what Iceberg ? '
Anyway , back to the subject , I was very naive but now know that they ARE monitoring every call/email etc - AIR PARANOID. Tossers.

Best post in a long time.

This is what happens when 21st century technology meets 6th century mindsets. Geez I'd have a least a shred of respect for them if they at least admitted they just want to spy on everyone, and not try and use the laughable excuse of "national security". The Canadians would help track down a credible terrorist threat, but they're not so much interested in helping the local yokels track down who's sending naughty sex-texts to whom. Here's hoping RIM (BB parent company) say a nice big "F YOU" to the UAE.

There are plenty of alternatives to keep your comms secure, takes a little more effort and not quite as convenient or portable as as BB. But there is military-grade encryption available to the public for email and voice comms. Of course I will not elaborate on a forum. But with a little effort there is no need to have these little freaks eavesdropping.

Gulf News
1st Aug 2010, 19:40
Sadly in this part of the world it is all about control. Control,control,control.

The authorities and the majority of the population, know no other way. Hence internet censorship the banning of VOIP and numerous other useful things.

Advice to BB owners, sit tight, The whole thing will blow over when the commercial consequences are realized or failing that a work-around will be widely available if you know where to look for it.

That said immature, juvenile muppets does somewhat sum up the mentality in the M.E.

budgetbudgie
1st Aug 2010, 20:47
Gulf states ban key BlackBerry services after demanding ability to spy on users | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1299412/Gulf-states-ban-key-BlackBerry-services-demanding-ability-spy-users.html):mad:

Farrell
2nd Aug 2010, 03:20
UAE Takes Another Evolutionary Leap Forward (http://tiny.cc/fv9et)

Jet II
2nd Aug 2010, 04:40
The Canadians would help track down a credible terrorist threat, but they're not so much interested in helping the local yokels track down who's sending naughty sex-texts to whom.

Well RIM have refused to co-operate with requests twice now - so you can understand why the government is getting peeved with them.

If the Government in the US can access Blackberry messages when it wants I dont think that telling other governments around the globe that they cant is really sustainable in the long term.

Given the alternatives for secure communications that governments cannot readily access I really cannot see why RIM are so adamant about not allowing the same sort of access to their system as every other manufacturer.

2000GT
2nd Aug 2010, 06:09
At least the GCC gummits are up-front about it so one has a choice. The US does it and doesn't tell the newspapers...so much for the First Amendment! Which is worse?

By the way, I can't wait to get out of here!!!

I also am curious about the Super-Duper UAE ID cards we had to get last year. When do they start being the "Smart Cards" that were promised to eliminate the multiple documents and I can use it to pay my Etisilat bill, use as a visa, car registration, driver"s license etc? Mine remains as useless as a football bat but yet another Government agency has my biometrics. when do I win?

I thought so.....

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd Aug 2010, 06:58
or is it camel toes.

ponder on dude.

I am still curious if the overseas operators who support BB are also having their service when inside the UAE blocked.

I trust that the BB blocking will be 100% watertight, similar to the strict ban on Skype. Or in other words unlt they get their percentage.

glf

troff
2nd Aug 2010, 07:49
YouTube - RMR: Blackberry Helmet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bV7pM_HS70)
:}
T

no-engines
2nd Aug 2010, 11:58
To support the governments of the Middle East.....

They are only asking for the same level of access to BB data that the US and UK already enjoys.

batsky2000
2nd Aug 2010, 15:59
Maybe it is because RIM does not trust the UAE or the rest of the Middle East when they pull stunts like this:

"Last year, RIM criticized a directive by the UAE state-owned mobile operator Etisalat telling the company's BlackBerry to install software described as a service upgrade. Tests showed the download actually installed spy software on users' phones that could allow authorities to access private information stored on the handsets. It strongly distanced itself from Etisalat's decision and told users how to remove the software." :=

Just a backwards run society that has not caught up to the rest of the world, I mean blocking skype, and other sites, why allow the use of internet at all?:ugh:

Nightfire
2nd Aug 2010, 17:43
Well, as no-engines already pointed out - they only want the same "privilege", which the USA also have. Not that I like it, but I can't really condemn them for that.

Or would you prefer to be able to use it, knowing that Big Brother is always listening to your private conversations and reading your messages? Ban the thing, for all I care. Then at least we know what's going on. :mad:

The "Land of the free" is spying out all our data all the time, including all money transfers within Europe, with all the consent of my own government at home in Europe. THAT'S something I'm pi$$ed off about.

Jet II
2nd Aug 2010, 18:04
Maybe it is because RIM does not trust the UAE or the rest of the Middle East when they pull stunts like this:

Or is it simply that RIM cannot afford it? - RIM have already allowed governments in their biggest markets (US, Europe, China, Russia) free access to their data and it would appear that to allow the UAE (& Saudi, India etc) access it would have to put servers in each country - so if they did that for the UAE, Saudi, India etc how long do you think it would be before every country wanted the same access?

That is the problem with RIM's proprietary software business model.

flying lid
2nd Aug 2010, 21:21
As mentioned, not only in the middle east do they spy on you

Hade a day out in the Yorkshire dales last week, drove past this monstrosity just out of Harrogate, Menwith Hill. Yank owned / run
though the signs read "RAF Menwith Hill"

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_01/menwith061007_468x275.jpg

Google Menwith Hill, you will be suprised. A whole lot worse than the UAE.

I sleep a whole lot sounder knowing the Yanks are ""caring"" for our national security with places like this. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Lid

nolimitholdem
2nd Aug 2010, 22:12
Google Menwith Hill, you will be suprised. A whole lot worse than the UAE.

You have to be fcuking kidding, right? Or do you really think the world would be better off having a medieval, barbaric, unaccountable, juvenile, puerile and repugnantly hypocritical regime perring at, poring over, and "caring" for your data?!

God I absolutely cringe for the future when I read comments like this. Let me guess, you're quite happy to take advantage of the benefits of a society that at least ASPIRES to some modicum of freedom, whilst taking shots at those awful ol' Yanks and their technology. Tell you what, if you really feel strongly that the UAE would a "whole lot better", why don't you move to the Middle East and submit fully to their great system? You'll love it!

I say if the UAE wants full control over the technology then let them invest countless millions in their own homegrown solutions and have at 'er...oh wait - their pathetic useless tiny country doesn't have the resources or knowledge or ANYTHING to do so other than to write cheques for other people's technology...and then demand control of it....which is more sad...the UAE or the people who defend them...tough call....

batsky2000
3rd Aug 2010, 01:39
You hit the Nail in the Head perfectly!!! Someone who has never been in the Middle East should not compare what we do in the USA or the UK to them. Like I mentioned, the Middle East is a totaly backwards run society, keeping your data secure is not a priority or does not exist for them.

With all the money they get from selling oil, you would think that they would have the best and fastest internet and technology in the world, but it is just the opposite in the Middle East, it is the slowest and drops off all the time. They are so far behind the rest of the civilized world. They would rather invest their money in the biggest and tallest structures and then go bankrupt. Who would want to go to Dubai to vacation when you have plenty of places in other parts of the world (USA, Europe, S. America, Australia, Etc....) that offer the same if not more with less restrictions

Jet II
3rd Aug 2010, 04:09
You hit the Nail in the Head perfectly!!! Someone who has never been in the Middle East should not compare what we do in the USA or the UK to them. Like I mentioned, the Middle East is a totaly backwards run society, keeping your data secure is not a priority or does not exist for them.

So? - this is a discussion about RIM and which countries they grant access to their data to.

RIM has granted access to it's (your) data to China - now do you think they did that because it is progressive society that is committed to keeping your data secure? - or was it simply a commercial decision in exactly the same way as Google's.

Unfortunately in discussions like this people bring out all their old prejudices against a place they dont like to be (but for some reason never leave) and the real story gets lost :(

Dubaian
3rd Aug 2010, 07:13
For what it's worth, the local media in UAE are reporting that even visitors with BBs bought elsewhere will be unable to use most services on the Blackberry after the block comes in. If it does.............
My bet is for some sort of accommodation to be reached between RIM and the TRA before then.

TwinAisle
3rd Aug 2010, 08:03
even visitors with BBs bought elsewhere will be unable to use most services

Yes, that's my understanding too. Just to get technical a second - BB devices use a bespoke connection to the internet (not the standard internet connection that your phone has, do a search on your access points, and you will see one called "Blackberry" or "Blackberry2"). This is the secure VPN-type connection to the outside world, that skirts round the Etisalat and du folks. This connection will be barred from the radio system come 11 October, so it is not going to matter one jot whether you bought your phone in the Mall of the Emirates, the Mall of the Americas or Carphone Warehouse in Scunthorpe. Your BB will not be working post 11 Oct.

Other messaging systems, like Nokia Messaging, use the standard internet connection access point, which means they go via the local servers, and can be read.

My guess is that we are going to see some back pedalling by BB - this could well snowball, as people in other countries realise that BB allows some countries to read the lot.

For the record, I can sort of see the UAE point. There is something a bit odd when a government cannot read its citizens' emails, but another government can. I don't actually approve of anyone reading mine - they'd probably die of boredom - but if someone is going to read them, I would have thought the government of the country I live in, work in and party in has more right than someone in the US....

TA

RJSAviator76
3rd Aug 2010, 09:04
There are so many businesses dependent on Blackberry in the UAE, I'm just curious to see what happens if this ban comes to fruition i.e. a solution isn't found between now and October 11... :eek:

My guess.... this ain't gonna happen, but we shall see.

Ali Bin Somewhere
3rd Aug 2010, 09:45
correct me if i am wrong [and i probably am] but in the US/UK/CAN etc the gov can only read the data once they have gone through the correct judicial chanels and have proven that they need access to the data to protect national security.[i know big brother can manufacture data but alot harder to get away with it over there]

the problem that RIM have is that there are no judicial procedures that are the equivilent of those found in the US/UK/CAN in place with governments in the middle east or sub-continent. In other words there is no agreement between the UAE and CAN to allow for these requests to be submitted and processed under CAN law.

Perhaps a better solution [but one that would not allow for the evesdropping that the UAE gov want] would be to broker a governmental agreement between UAE/whoever that allows for legitimate legal requests for information. Part of that problem is that once a legal agreement is set regarding data then there are other implications including tax, criminal extradition, family law etc etc because with all things government its a two way street. i.e. you give us BB data on suspected terrorist "Mr Mad Jack McMad" based on this data we "found" and we will give you income details on "MR I Makeatonofcash".

I must admit though i am sort of looking forward to life without my BB going off all the time.

More then anything remember where you live and keep in mind the 2 buckets. one for cash one for sh*&. its time to go when either one is full. i think i have about 5 more scoops to go in my second bucket. I don't know anyone who has ever filled the cash one first.:}

TwinAisle
3rd Aug 2010, 09:54
keep in mind the 2 buckets. one for cash one for sh*&. its time to go when either one is full. i think i have about 5 more scoops to go in my second bucket. I don't know anyone who has ever filled the cash one first.

I am starting to think I am using the contents of the former to buy the contents of the latter....

lowstandard
3rd Aug 2010, 10:10
How the heck are they going to properly asses a security threat?

They couldnt even sort out if a maids visa was valid, so they threw one of EK's Captains in the clink.

UAE ID cards anyone? Works great to scrape birds&^t off a window.

Its only about $$$$$, it will always be about $$$$$.

www.bloomberg.com/.../israeli-s-diamonds-are-dubai-s-best-friend-as-profit-trumps-emirate-policy.html (http://www.bloomberg.com/.../israeli-s-diamonds-are-dubai-s-best-friend-as-profit-trumps-emirate-policy.html)

parabellum
3rd Aug 2010, 10:29
The UAE Minister of Communications was interviewed on the SBS channel here in Australia tonight, his actual words, "The communication is encrypted when it leaves the Blackberry and goes to Canada, when it leaves Canada it is encrypted again before it gets to it's intended destination and there is no way we can interfere with it" !!!

India have come to an agreement with Blackberry, so the news said.

gadgetman
3rd Aug 2010, 10:31
Well I for one am relieved. I will now sleep soundly in my bed at night (not before an 0300 HYD obviously) knowing that they have looked out for my security.

All those diehard terrorists and other security threats will no doubt throw their hands in the air, cry "What's the use in trying now" and go get a job in the nearest Starbucks now that they have had their Blackberries taken away.

terrorist - blackberry = barista.

TwinAisle
3rd Aug 2010, 11:04
terrorist - blackberry = barista

You buy your coffee the same place I do.... up to 40AED a slice this morning.... :}

puff m'call
3rd Aug 2010, 12:19
Oh come on everyone what did you expect:ugh:

It's a Third World country run by a bunch of cammel sh@gging bedouins.

"UAE authorities said last week BlackBerry services could pose a threat to national security" :ugh::ugh: My @$$

It's just control of the masses by a bunch of paraoid muppets who don't you to have any freedom in what you do or say.

VoxPopuli
3rd Aug 2010, 13:44
One more thing you will see a lot less of, is the infantile posts on Facebook.
No more:
"I am walking down the passage",
"I am in the bathroom",
"I am undoing my belt and fly",
"I am sitting down",
"I just burst a vein in my head",
"Can that be flushed away?".

And thank the (insert deity here) for that.

Jet II
3rd Aug 2010, 14:15
There are so many businesses dependent on Blackberry in the UAE, I'm just curious to see what happens if this ban comes to fruition i.e. a solution isn't found between now and October 11... :eek:

Oh come on, its a phone - it does nothing that loads of other phones do (and many do better), so if your business is really dependent on a Blackberry its a very dodgy business.

Even before this kicked off RIM were losing market share to other smartphones - they are getting particularly hammered by the growth of Android - so businesses will adapt as always. If RIM do not sort this out then they are going to lose market share even faster - if you were an international businessman given the choice between 2 phones that do exactly the same thing, would you chose the one that didn't work in various areas around the world?

Jet II
3rd Aug 2010, 14:18
It's just control of the masses by a bunch of paraoid muppets who don't you to have any freedom in what you do or say.

But that is the way of the world now - the US, Europe, Russia, China all have been given the ability to monitor Blackberry data - no government trusts anyone. :(

RJSAviator76
3rd Aug 2010, 14:21
No, it's not my business. I'm just a pilot, but I know several places are really depend on Blackberries, and this ruling might affect them somewhat. 'How' remains to be seen.

As for me, I've had a company-issued blackberry at my old job.

At my new employer, I'm just given a mobile phone allowance, and it's up to me which one to use. I chose Blackberry simply due to availability of BBM and ease of email.

However, back home, I'm an iPhone guy, and (un)fortunately, it looks like I'll be an iPhone guy all-around. Doesn't hurt me any...

Jet II
3rd Aug 2010, 14:25
Well panic over - the Government has just announced a solution to the problem.

Blackberry reprieved (http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2010/08/02/gulf-states-order-blackberry-users-to-cover-their-phones-in-a-tiny-burqa/)

kotakota
3rd Aug 2010, 14:53
Fantastic, after another day of battling with the muppets , this is the best belly laugh of the week.............Are you secretly Baldrick of the Bedouins ?

alwayzinit
3rd Aug 2010, 15:21
Jet II

Absolutely loved that thank you:ok::ok:

The poor fella next door has just knocked on my door to see if I am OK after me nasally exhausting my tea and have a coughing laughing fit.

Bloody Brilliant

flying lid
3rd Aug 2010, 18:39
Nolimitholdem replied

You have to be fcuking kidding, right? Or do you really think the world would be better off having a medieval, barbaric, unaccountable, juvenile, puerile and repugnantly hypocritical regime perring at, poring over, and "caring" for your data?!

God I absolutely cringe for the future when I read comments like this. Let me guess, you're quite happy to take advantage of the benefits of a society that at least ASPIRES to some modicum of freedom, whilst taking shots at those awful ol' Yanks and their technology. Tell you what, if you really feel strongly that the UAE would a "whole lot better", why don't you move to the Middle East and submit fully to their great system? You'll love it!

Bit of a strong reply !!. My previous post was just to remind everyone that even in the sunny (?) dales of Yorkshire "the powers that be" have the technology to gather ever increasingly amounts of communications data. Personal, Commercial, Governmental, the lot. The site at Menwith Hill gets bigger year on year.

I have been to both Dubai & Abu Dhabi, albeit for a very short time in an energy industry related "task". No, I would not like to live / work there, not one bit.

Apologies if I touched a raw nerve, though sometimes the truth hurts.

Lid