PDA

View Full Version : SQ 777 jet wing tip incident in Beijing

break_break
31st Jul 2010, 16:11
Friend of mine just had his connection to Europe delayed due to the incident. Any further details at all? All I managed to dig out was this news from a local news portal.
www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20100731-229760

King on a Wing
1st Aug 2010, 16:11
Yep....true.
SQ 777 clipped its wingtip with a stationary Air China 737 in poor visibility.Cited as pilot error on the part of the Sq pilot. All pax had to be deplaned and accomodated in Crown Plaza Beijing Ufn.
The 'pilot error' source is a chinese national paper.So go figure...:E
Wingtip contact is very serious buisness in SIA or for that matter in ANY airline in the world. Wonder what CAAS has to say about this one and how SIA goes about it.
Time will tell..

break_break
2nd Aug 2010, 12:13
Thanks for the highlight of poor visibility part. Looks like either the editor of SG local news is not a great fan of SIA or its pilots, there was absolutely no mentioning of poor visibility in the "Pilot Error" article. I guess sensational headlines will always sell. I mean there's no arguing that it's Pilot Error in 90% of incidents, it's just disheartening to read that nothing else is mentioned in his report. Here's the updated link for those who wanna confirm the style of reporting in SG.
Relax - SIA plane scrapes Air China jet at Beijing airport (http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/423636/SIA_plane_scrapes_Air_China_jet_at_Beijing_airport.html)