PDA

View Full Version : Registration & Country Marks...Help?

JanetFlight
31st Jul 2010, 02:37
Hi My Friends...Could you give me an helping hand please?

The below pic »»»

Photos: Antonov An-12BP Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Mathur-Avia/Antonov-An-12BP/1534317/L/)

Belongs as you can see to an AN12 of extinct Indian Cargo Co. Mathur Avia Air Transport System, that flown between 92/93 based in Delhi...However i cannot understand those Regs. Marks »»» CIS-06105

What CIS stands for? (besides Commonwealth of Independent States)
Any Specific Country?
Was any time that any CIS State used it also as a Prefix reg. mark?
Allocated to...?
I Got Confused...:rolleyes:
Many tanx for ur Help..JF:)

ConstantFlyer
31st Jul 2010, 12:15
Aircraft registered in the Soviet Union had the prefix CCCP-, which, handily, are the Cyrillic letters for SSSR- (Russian for USSR). The flag on the tail of the An-12 appears to be that of Uzbekistan, which had come into existence as an independent country in August 1991. Aircraft from Uzbekistan are now registered with the prefix UK-, but this may not have been initiated by the time this photo was taken. So, with CCCP- gone, and UK- not yet available, the CIS- marking may have been used as an interim measure.

barry lloyd
31st Jul 2010, 14:13
Constant Flyer is correct.
Until ICAO approved new registration marks for the newly-independent Soviet republics, (which for a time were called the CIS by Russia), there was some confusion about the validity of the CCCP prefix. Most aircraft retained them during the interim though, and it's the only aircraft I've ever seen with a CIS prefix. I imagine the numbers which follow were the old CCCP suffix.
There would have been some difficulties in having a CCCP- registered aircraft based in a third country, both with insurance and dip clearance.
I was always somewhat amused that the prefix RA was allocated to Russia, since the letter 'R' does not exist in their alphabet.

JanetFlight
31st Jul 2010, 17:14
Many tanx at all...:ok: