PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4.0 Beta

Saab Dastard
30th Jul 2010, 17:31
I am not often an early-adopter (been bitten too many times for that :ouch:), but this is an exception.

I upgraded to FF 3.6.8 from 2.x (against my better judgement) and it was broken, unusable and miserable in every possible way.

So I switched to 4 beta2, and I am pleased and impressed (not faint praise, from me).

Recommended.

SD

ps - I shall probably regret tempting fate in this way...

green granite
30th Jul 2010, 18:15
not having any probs with 3.6.8 so far.
The beta of 4 seems very stable and very quick. :ok:

BOAC
30th Jul 2010, 18:39
"I'm right behind you" as they say - you guys just get out there and take all the bullets and I'll wait and see.:)

goldfrog
30th Jul 2010, 19:07
Shame that the App Tabs don't seem to save over a session. Apart from that it seems fine.

vulcanised
30th Jul 2010, 19:47
Still running 3.5.1 here and it keeps nagging me.

Saab Dastard
30th Jul 2010, 21:51
Shame that the App Tabs don't seem to save over a session

You can choose to set it to show "Windows and tabs from last time" at startup, if that's what you mean.

SD

Keef
30th Jul 2010, 22:41
I've been updating as the new versions come out, and not had any new problems. I might have a go with 4.0 Beta, though. I used to run three levels of Firefox on the PC in the days when they had code names (I forget, now, what they were). I stopped that when I was playing with Windows 7 Beta and didn't want too much instability.

The old problem remains: about once a day Firefox will crash, tell me how embarrassed it is, ask to send a notification to Mum, and offer to restore my tabs.

I can't blame it entirely for that, because I like to be in control of what my machine does. I don't let it put the config stuff umpty levels down in the bowels of C: drive - I have it in my "Internet" drive (drive I, cos I have a vivid imagination) in a folder called Firefox. The weekly backup routine copies the config file, bookmarks, and the like.

Thunderbird likewise is constrained to put everything into I:\Mail where I can see when the .msf files get over-bloated, and delete them.

I've got the "new" version of Thunderbird on the laptop, but I prefer having the "Reply", "Forward" etc buttons up in the main toolbar rather than down in the middle of the page so I've not gone "new" on the main machine.

cargosales
31st Jul 2010, 21:26
Ahh, I was kind of waiting for a thread like this on an independent board I trust ..

(unlike the Mozilla forums which are jammed full of unanswered complaints about FF 3.6 running like a lame dog, crashing all the time etc etc. But which match my own experience since recently 'upgrading' to that piece of Microshaft inspired sh!t, Firefox 3.6.8)

Saab, Do any of the add-ons / extensions actually work in 4.0 ? I only use two - Ad Blocker and DownloadHelper but both were rendered utterly useless/unusable respectively by 3.6.8

Cheers for any useful info

CS

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2010, 22:49
CS,

Adblock definitely works, as I'm using it.

Not surprisingly, there are very few add-ons / plug-ins for the beta, but I am sure that there will be a lot re-written to the new version soon.

SD

call100
1st Aug 2010, 06:55
I've been updating as the new versions come out, and not had any new problems. I might have a go with 4.0 Beta, though. I used to run three levels of Firefox on the PC in the days when they had code names (I forget, now, what they were). I stopped that when I was playing with Windows 7 Beta and didn't want too much instability.

The old problem remains: about once a day Firefox will crash, tell me how embarrassed it is, ask to send a notification to Mum, and offer to restore my tabs.

I can't blame it entirely for that, because I like to be in control of what my machine does. I don't let it put the config stuff umpty levels down in the bowels of C: drive - I have it in my "Internet" drive (drive I, cos I have a vivid imagination) in a folder called Firefox. The weekly backup routine copies the config file, bookmarks, and the like.

Thunderbird likewise is constrained to put everything into I:\Mail where I can see when the .msf files get over-bloated, and delete them.

I've got the "new" version of Thunderbird on the laptop, but I prefer having the "Reply", "Forward" etc buttons up in the main tool bar rather than down in the middle of the page so I've not gone "new" on the main machine.
You can put the 'Reply' etc buttons up in the main tool bar if you wish just customise and drag the buttons on..(sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs:O)
As for FF I've never had any problems or crash instances. All my add ons have always worked. Even when forcing compatibility I've had no problems.....The only thing stopping me downloading the latest beta is the positioning of the Tabs above the tool bar.

ericlday
1st Aug 2010, 07:39
1. Right-click to the right of the address bar.
2. Click Tabs on Top if you want them on top
3. Unclick Tabs on Top if you don’t

call100
1st Aug 2010, 09:10
OK thanks, I've not seen that anywhere on the other sites I frequent.....Makes all the difference. Now just have to decide what add ons I can do without....Not many I fear.:hmm:

Having done some research I found this. Make Incompatible Extensions (Add-Ons) Work With Firefox 4 Beta (http://www.groovypost.com/howto/firefox/make-incompatible-extensions-add-ons-work-with-firefox-4-beta/) Just trying to decide if I'm brave enough!

vulcanised
1st Aug 2010, 11:45
Oddly, I am being nagged to install 3.5.11 (from 3.5.1).

BOAC
26th Aug 2010, 07:37
Anyone tried the beta with 'panorama' (Tab Candy')?

rgbrock1
26th Aug 2010, 13:46
Panorama doesn't work with the beta I'm running BOAC. Not yet anyway.

BOAC
26th Aug 2010, 15:28
New beta.....

EDDNHopper
26th Aug 2010, 19:50
Thread drift....

The single biggest problem with Firefox is the profile has a habit of occasionally getting corrupted and the usual "solution" from the Mozilla crowd is to create a new profile

I can only warmly recommend the freeware "MozBackup". It saves and restores profiles and lets you chose what you want to restore, e.g. bookmarks only, additional stettings (like themes) or the complete profile. It also works well when you want to copy your profile to FF installations on other computers (just copy your saved profile and run MozBackup on the other computer). It might not work with FF 4 Beta though.

call100
27th Aug 2010, 07:39
I find Xmarks works beautifully for all that within FireFox with no effort at all...Syncs everything for use wherever I am. Highly recommended.

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2010, 12:20
Now running on Beta6, having run 4 & 5 (skipped Beta 3 due to lack of ABP support).

No problems to report, still impressed. :ok:

IE9 will need to be very good to keep up.

SD

BOAC
16th Sep 2010, 13:11
IE9 will need to be very good to keep up - having watched M$ over several years, I would say 'catch up' might be more appropriate:)

rgbrock1
16th Sep 2010, 14:23
MS Internet Exploder might have to play catch up with Mozilla Firefox but in several ways the latter might eventually have to play the same game with Apple's Safari. IMHO anyway.

Saab Dastard
1st Jan 2011, 21:17
Now on Beta 8 and running fine.

I am not so happy with right-clicking the back / forward buttons to access page history, or the use of the main URL bar as the preview location for URLs as well, but that's just because of habit - and is nit picking.

I use IE8 at work, and I have IE6 and IE7 at home for testing.

FF4 is streets ahead - I don't use half the features, though!

SD

A A Gruntpuddock
2nd Jan 2011, 09:24
Using 4.0b8 and no problems - updated from version 3 because it kept falling over.

green granite
2nd Jan 2011, 10:40
Been using it for a while now, apart from the fact I don't like the layout changes (I'm sure I'll get used to them though) it works very much better than the latest incarnation of V3.

BOAC
3rd Jan 2011, 21:50
Well, so far so good, but I reckon it is slower than 3. Presumably going the way of all flesh (browsers)

BOAC
6th Jan 2011, 21:22
How long before the add-ons are written for 4? I do miss the web developer bar. Is there a previous incarnation that is a safe and stable and compatible with these add-ons?

tailstrikecharles
7th Jan 2011, 21:17
Of late, and increasingly so, the FF is more a four letter epithet than the sleek browser that kicked Microsoft's ass so long ago.

The memory hogging, the piss poor flash performance and the now constant freezing and lock ups (I get this with NO OTHER BROWSER) have me totally pissed.

Opera, I find to be most stable, albeit limited. IE competent and capable...but Firefox, you bloated whore, sucking up my CPU like a Monica Lewinsky run amok! I will miss you, but only just!

Saab Dastard
7th Jan 2011, 22:54
TSC,

What version of FF are you having problems with?

I upgraded a very stable (but elderly and increasingly unsupported) 2.xx installation to 3.something, and it was - as you eloquently describe - a pile of poo, at least on my system / with my configuration.

I decided to go forward rather than backward, joining the 4.0 beta at rev. 2, and I have (as this thread attests) been impressed.

I run 4.0.8 on one home PC, 3.6.13 on another; I've got IE6 & IE7 at home also, and IE8 at work, so I've got a fair basis for comparison.

I might do a memory comparison between IE 8 / FF 3.6.13 and FF 4.0.8 when I have a little time.

I would still rate FF 4.0 as the best of the lot, with IE8 on a par / slightly above FF 3.6.13 (the others are for testing only).

I tried Opera, but found the lack of add-ons frustrating.

I've not tried Chrome - due to an inherent distrust of google's all pervading information gathering, rather than for technical reasons.

SD

crewmeal
8th Jan 2011, 06:03
As a macbook pro user currently using Firefox 3.6.16, what are the benefits of upgrading to firefox 4 beta 8? Last time I tried version 4 when it first came out I couldn't log into my bank account as it wouldn't recognise it.

BOAC
8th Jan 2011, 07:05
As chance would have it, this am the web developer add-on for 4 beta popped up. Have not used it yet.

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2011, 05:43
..but Firefox, you bloated whore, sucking up my CPU like a Monica Lewinsky run amok! I will miss you, but only just!

You're trying to run it on Robin Williams' Bicentennial Man, aren't you?

BOAC
11th Jan 2011, 08:00
Latest 'problem' is Google 'My maps' /edit not working properly - reported on the Google forum. Cannot easily find a FF site to report this. Anyone?

MidlandDeltic
13th Jan 2011, 12:15
"I've not tried Chrome - due to an inherent distrust of google's all pervading information gathering, rather than for technical reasons. "

+1. Their latest trick is to "bundle" Chrome with RealPlayer - Chrome installed defaulted itself during an upgrade to the latter without any input from moi. One uninstall later, a very pointed (and unanswered!) e-mail was dispatched to Google and Real.....

Interesting that people have had problems with FF - I run 3.6.13 on both a netbook and desktop, and fnd it faster and more stable than IE8 on both.

MD

call100
13th Jan 2011, 12:41
If you want to try Chrome without worrying about google's privacy issues, check this out....SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php):ok:

green granite
13th Jan 2011, 14:08
Hmmmmm a bit strange but fast call100, it has promise.

call100
13th Jan 2011, 16:41
Bare minimum but quick....
I downloaded FF4 on Monday. I've struggled with it until today. Gone back to latest version of 3 and all is well again.
FF4 was slow and jittery when surfing, even with all addons disabled. Lost patience with it...
Took the view that the appearance had changed that much I may as well try the others. Flirted briefly with Opera, Iron, and Safari. Gave up and came back to something that works.......The addons make it for me. Hopefully 4 will be fixed for my machine by the time it's launched....But I won't change until my favourite addons are updated....
I've never had any problems with FF in the past!!

call100
16th Jan 2011, 21:02
Latest beta is out now........They've changed the layout yet again.....https://www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/beta/....The Orange FF bar has gone and so has the status bar. Much more familiar again and working very smoothly once more...All my add ons are working although a couple with the aid of Nightly tester tool...