PDA

View Full Version : Backup TomTom SD Card using Mac 10.6.4

Standby Scum
30th Jul 2010, 12:21
Hi,

I need to make a backup.

Drag and drop onto the desktop then onto another SD Card does not work.

Help needed.

Thanks.

mixture
1st Aug 2010, 10:15
If you want an exact copy of any disk, you'll need to make a low level byte copy.

On Linux/Unix this is achieved with the "dd" command.

I don't believe there is anything built-in on windows, but a quick Google should reveal pleanty of tools.

green granite
1st Aug 2010, 11:01
My Tom Tom software creates back-ups of all the TT system.

le Pingouin
1st Aug 2010, 12:58
Give Disk Utility a go (it's under Applications > Utilities)

Select the volume to copy (it'll be listed under the SD card)

Click New Image & pick a location to save it to.

Once the image has been created eject the original SD card & insert the new one.

Click Restore, select the saved image & then drag the destination disk from the list on the left - choose carefully (make sure it's the new SD card) as it will overwrite irreversibly.

Did I mention being careful? Caveat emptor.

Standby Scum
2nd Aug 2010, 11:26
I can make a backup but not a copy.

Background Noise
2nd Aug 2010, 11:48
Maybe there are some hidden files - are you selecting all the files 'manually' or with command-A? Does that make sense Mac gurus?

P.Pilcher
2nd Aug 2010, 18:13
In windoze (XP) I have noted that if you plug in a Tom Tom, it appears as a disc drive. In the drive there are to be found numerous files and folders. I have copied the lot to my hard drive and then copied them back out to a new SD card. In my case the TomTom has worked perfectly on the new card. This new drive is larger than the TomTom original, so I have been able to add a fair number of new voices to the appropriate folder, more than could have been squeezed onto the original card.
The number of famous people who can now tell me to get lost on the TomTom is quite substantial!

P.P.

mixture
3rd Aug 2010, 06:59
Maybe there are some hidden files - are you selecting all the files 'manually' or with command-A? Does that make sense Mac gurus?

Unlike Windows, Mac doesn't have the concept of hidden files that you have to turn on viewing for in some obscure dialogue box.

(Well, strictly speaking, being a BSD derivative it does, but would require object names prepended with a dot ..... which in the circumstances under discussion I would think to be fairly unlikely. However you can easily check by firing up "Terminal" cd'ing to the SD card volume and playing around with "ls -la").

Standby Scum
4th Aug 2010, 16:09
However you can easily check by firing up "Terminal" cd'ing to the SD card volume and playing around with "ls -la").

Fantastic. How exactly do I do that? I need a step by step how to that a child of 5 could understand. My apologies for being a bit dim. I have an ATPL to prove it!

green granite
4th Aug 2010, 16:43
I can make a backup but not a copy.

Surely if you make a back up, put a new card in the TT then do a restore you have a copy, or am I missing something?

Standby Scum
4th Aug 2010, 17:34
I have made a copy that does not work:-

http://imgur.com/Z8vRO.jpg

The Renault TomTom does not have a device you can remove from the dashboard, only the SD card that I want to copy.

I've tried the TomTom backup / add new speed whatnots et cetera too without luck.

I just want to make an identical card that works.

We are down to the type of SD card I think???

Thanks a million.

crewmeal
5th Aug 2010, 07:07
Standby Scum - I too have a Renault tomtom carminat in my new Megane. I had mega problems with updates and installations of speed cameras, so I called Amsterdam on the 0845 number and they sorted it out.

I note from the thread that you are using an apple mac Maybe that has something to do with it.

Background Noise
5th Aug 2010, 07:11
The original post title states that he is using a Mac.

And Mac OS does have hidden files and turning them on is even more obscure than Win. However, what I was suggesting was the possibility of some TomTom files on the card, not being visible to a computer OS, and therefore being missed in the copy.

Standby Scum
5th Aug 2010, 10:46
I Skyped TomTom in Amsterdam +31208500800 and was told I need to purchase a Carminat SD card - Expensive at £26.95.

4GB SD memory card for Carminat TomTom - Accessories - TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/maps-sd-cards/4gb-sd-memory-card-for-carminat-tomtom/)

Thanks everybody for your kind help.

crewmeal
5th Aug 2010, 12:06
Not sure if this is any use........

2GB KINGSTON SD MEMORY CARD FOR TOMTOM CARMINAT RIDER on eBay (end time 23-Aug-10 23:19:47 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2GB-KINGSTON-SD-MEMORY-CARD-TOMTOM-CARMINAT-RIDER-/260513728778?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item3ca7d4090a)

or.........

TomTom Navigator Carminat West Central Europe SD Card on eBay (end time 10-Aug-10 01:46:01 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-Navigator-Carminat-West-Central-Europe-SD-Card-/220647706564?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335fa0cfc4)

also

Amazon.co.uk: tomtom sd card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/qid=1281010120/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr0?ie=UTF8&node=&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tomtom%20sd%20card)

Standby Scum
5th Aug 2010, 12:27
Thanks a million crewmeal. PPRuNe seems to be better than forums specific to odds-and-sods. Other than "Let's wait for the report to come out" and "My superior knowledge on all aviation matters is better than yours", PPRuNes' not a bad place.