PDA

View Full Version : Screen Problems

G-DAVE
29th Jul 2010, 15:37
Hi all,

My laptop was in my bag a few weeks ago when another large and heavy bag was placed on top of it (not by me I must say!). :ugh:

The next time I turned it on, there was, and I can only describe it as, a black blob in the middle of the screen. Since then, the blob has grown larger and is sprouting gradually bigger lines from the central blob, to the four corners of the screen.

In the middle of the blob, and the lines going to the corners, there is a very slim line, almost as if someone has put a stanley knife across it. The outside of the screen is still intact, so it must be internal to the screen.

So.........does anyone know what has happened, can it be fixed and the rough cost? My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NR32L if that helps!

Thanks in advance,

G-DAVE:ok:

mixture
29th Jul 2010, 17:01
You've killed the LCD panel.

Obviously you were always well behaved at school and never messed around with the screens on calculators. :cool:

From your description, the outer casing is intact, so it's probably just a case of getting the LCD panel replaced from parts (worst case, this will include associated circuitry if it's shorted or something, or not part of the same assembly, but unlikely in newer laptops).

Probably <US/GB/EUR> 80 to 100 plus labour.

Youtube vid of what needs to happen....

Fa332DImPSo

G-DAVE
29th Jul 2010, 17:18
Thanks mixture.

Just two points; it wasn't me that killed it, it was my Chief Pilot and I did play with calculators at school, making rude words when viewed the wrong way up!

Thanks again for the reply, will search the cost of spares as I think I know someone thatwill be able to fit it for me.

Seems ashame that it looks like most of the screen is replaced, when it seems that there is only a very thin film inside that seems damaged.:{

green granite
29th Jul 2010, 18:09
Such things have been known to heal themselves within a few days but yours sounds a bit far gone for that.

G-DAVE
29th Jul 2010, 18:16
It has bad and worse days. Still useable if I scroll up and down, sometimes minimizing the screen and move it to one corner. Not ideal, but not yet at the point of spending £80-100 to get it fixed just yet; the other half has other ideas on where to spend my limited cash :(

mixture
29th Jul 2010, 18:40
Just two points; it wasn't me that killed it, it was my Chief Pilot and I did play with calculators at school, making rude words when viewed the wrong way up!

Yes apologies, I did consider going back and editing to reflect the fact that you were not the screen murderer. :ok:

Thanks again for the reply, will search the cost of spares as I think I know someone thatwill be able to fit it for me.

Good thinking. It's not a hard job and spares should be easy to come by.

Seems ashame that it looks like most of the screen is replaced, when it seems that there is only a very thin film inside that seems damaged

Yeah, it's a by-product of our commoditised society.

Computing departments at universities are about the only places that buck the trend..... all you normally find in their repair labs are oscilloscopes, multimeters, soldering irons, well equipped toolchest and catalogues from a general electronics supplier (i.e. resistors, capacitors etc.).

Having said which, because of the compact construction and presence of all sorts of nasties in the LCD panels, even the hardiest DIY person would probably opt for a full replacement.

Lancelot37
29th Jul 2010, 18:56
Have you thought about claiming for a new computer on your house insuranace, that's what you pay it for?

green granite
29th Jul 2010, 19:06
Or even on the CP's house insurance? :E

G-DAVE
30th Jul 2010, 00:06
My other half phoned up the insurance company; the excess alone is more than the repairs were suggested above would cost.

Now, the CP lives near to me and I know when he's away. Maybe putting a male and female rat through the letter box will give him a nice welcoming party on return :}