PDA

View Full Version : Childhood neurological condition

astrovana
29th Jul 2010, 11:54
When I was a child, I had a neurological condition that left me with some mild weakness in my larger muscles. This simply means that I struggle to say run up a flight of stairs or lift myself unaided from the floor. I have no problems with cognitive function or fine motor skills. It is purely manifest in intense physical exercise.

Other than this, I am fit as a fiddle. Perfect blood pressure, heart rate etc. No diabetes or epilepsy or history of passing out. No visual problems. Just a minor physical thing in my larger muscle groups.

It's the kind of disability that a doctor would notice but a normal person wouldn't as I don't look or sound or walk any different to anyone else.

Before I go and spend money on a medical exam that I might fail, does anyone know what kind of bearing this past medical condition may have on my chances of getting a class 1 JAR certificate?

gingernut
29th Jul 2010, 21:37
Has your childhood neurological condition got a name?

astrovana
29th Jul 2010, 21:53
Yes, Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. It varies from case to case. In my case, I have very few residual symptoms apart from very mild muscle weakness in my biceps, triceps and thigh muscles. Some people have horrific stories concerning it, like black outs and impaired cognitive function. I have none of these symptoms.

I have no trouble handling a car if that gives any more information.

Is this an example of a "wait and see" situation?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Aug 2010, 13:33
Bell the medics at Gatwick; they're very helpful and may be able to offer some advice.

obgraham
3rd Aug 2010, 16:03
Better to spend a little dosh on the medical, rather than a pile of cash on flight training without odds of success.