PDA

View Full Version : More extentions?

Baywatcher
29th Jul 2010, 10:02
29 July 2010 Last updated at 01:48

Fixed retirement age to be axed
By Martin Shankleman Employment correspondent, BBC News

Employment Minister Edward Davey: "This isn't forcing people to retire later, it gives them the choice"

The government is planning to scrap the default retirement age in the UK from October 2011.

routetuner
29th Jul 2010, 13:22
So what if we are allowed to fly past 65? If capable of holding a medical and doing the job to the required standard I'm all for it.

treboryelk
29th Jul 2010, 15:21
oh joy, may as well resign myself to a command by 60!

Oval3Holer
1st Aug 2010, 17:44
Glad I didn't sign CoS08 so I could work to 65! BPP is gonna be great!

Baywatcher
2nd Aug 2010, 10:40
Age 70 is already being quietly discussed in the halls of the U.S. Congress and ALPA. There was a lot of whining about Age 65 but in the end, there was not one vote against it when it sailed through legislative approval in the States.

In the EU there is talk of eliminating the manditory retirement age for pilots altogether to comply with "human rights" laws.

As always, there will be a two phase process if the retirement age changes again.

Phase One:

Don't worry, that will never happen, the feds won't go for it, ALPA will block it.

Phase Two:

It's a done deal, our hands were tied, we had to go along with it to have some say in the matter.

Over the years this two phase process has been used many times to approve such things as CVR's, locked cockpit doors and drug and alcohol testing. And seniority list mergers...
Airbubba is offline Report Post Reply

The Messiah
2nd Aug 2010, 11:56
If capable of holding a medical and doing the job to the required standard I'm all for it
Sorry mate but I have flown with many extendees and the vast majority absolutely should have retired at 55. It's one thing after a long flight keeping an eye on yourself let alone some old bloke who hasn't read the SOP's in f£&k knows how long but hates his wife enough to keep turning up for work.

Extend.......fine, but it aint an old peoples home. Do your effing job!

VR-HFX
2nd Aug 2010, 12:11
God

I tend toward your thinking but there are some (albeit a few) that don't hate their wives and are still perfectly capable.

Many just can't be bothered reading all the mindless twoddle which has appeared in the past 15 years. A 744 hasn't changed in that time, it's just all the peripheral noise and agro that has changed.

For those who can afford it, I cannot see why one would hang on but there are now more and more who cannot afford to leave at 55. The real roadblock is not lingering A scalers but the huge swathe of B scalers bearing down on 55.

There's more to life than wearing a uniform and staring into the darkness, especially if you still have wife #1. For those who find it hard to adjust, just sit under the staircase and watch the electricity meter go round for a few nights. That should cure you.

Air Profit
2nd Aug 2010, 14:38
Nobody has to justify their continuing to enjoy a career they have worked long and hard to attain. Particularly not to some of the FO's who have bleached hair, an earring hole and an attitude.... :ok:

boofta
2nd Aug 2010, 18:01
The bleach I can live with, its the ridiculous standing on end with jel-o
nonsense that turns my old tummy.Actually raises my hakle's.

Dead Head
2nd Aug 2010, 18:14
Air Canada and it's union (ACPA) last week agreed to reinstate the age 60 pilots who appealed their "retirement" to the Human Rights Tribunal. The felt they should be able to fly beyond their original COS.
They were awarded reinstatement as Embrarer Regional Jet First Officers, with a salary commensurate with B777 F/O.
They of course cannot collect their pension and salary concurrently. They should receive a salary of around $160K and forgo a yearly pension of $125K.
Hence putting their old asses to work for $35K.
Have fun doing 5 sectors a day between Toronto and Montreal.