PDA

View Full Version : To fly or ...not to fly.

uglyduckling05
28th Jul 2010, 23:06
I am a newly qualified, low hour fATPL pilot looking at potentially joining a major UK low cost airline very soon under a P2F arrangement that means I effectively earn no money for the first year(!). Although I feel I have worked hard to get to this position I’ve recently developed significant concerns over my career choice. My concerns cover topics often voiced on pprune as follows:

Volatile/fragile industry (oil prices, volcanoes, economy, terrorism, carbon emission, small profit margins during the best of times)
Unsociable work schedules
Long + odd hours = fatigue
Robotic, repetitive work
Tough job market if you should find yourself out of work
Negative trends in terms and conditions
Viewed by management as a requirement rather than an asset
Stress of medicals and regular performance checks
General stress on the job itself
Disgust of having no option but to P2F
I realise that it may be a bit late in the process for me to get cold feet however I do still have the option to return to a respectable career in electrical engineering starting back on a salary of about £25k. The flying to date has only cost me in terms of loss of earnings during the time spent training (family contact, very very lucky).

So here’s the question(s):
1. For those pilots with first hand UK low cost carrier experience, are my concerns well founded?
2. If so, if you were in my position (26yr old) would you:
a) Stomach the negatives listed above and continue with the flying career?

Or,
b) Jump at the opportunity for a stable, secure, (but lower paid) 9-5 career and ditch all the stress and life turmoil?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

dogmaster
30th Jul 2010, 07:49
most guys in this industry are looking at the ad/ disadvantage of the job.
but you have no flying job so far...

before to consider the disadvantage of a job, you should look if it' s possible to get a paid job these days, no?

P2F is not a job, and you will never make any money of it.
the market is already filled with thousand of 320/737 pilot with 1200h tt who don't find job.You are pretty much screwed, like many of us. join the line of the 1200h pilot with no job!

so what you want do next? live with the rest of your life thinking at how to log hours, and beg for money.

or get a decent paid job, and maybe thing about aviation in 5-10 years when the market is better.

your future is in your hand!

look at me: I have plenty of money, I live relax, I sleep well, I have a sexy girlfriend with who I can travel, I eat what I want, I have no debt,...

do you think I am going to sacrifice my life for a few hundred of hours in a 320? noway...\\and when the market will pick up, you will see me banging on the door for a paid job, and I bet they will pay me!

CAT1 REVERSION
30th Jul 2010, 14:32
uglyduckling,

In ALL honesty, I would return to a stable life! I gave up Engineering 10 years ago to persue this career, the career I had always wanted to do - unfortunately the reality is somewhat different from my initial hopes!

I have had this conversation with many of my fellow pilot's, usually in the cruise on day 4 or 5 of 6 on after yet another delay (at a weekend!), missed invite from friends or family with a bit of fatigue thrown in too.

If you want to subscribe to shift work (which I'm told can reduce your life expectancy upto to 10 years),an unstable lifestyle, friends and family who give up inviting you to occasions due to your work schedule, a crap cold food diet consumed at 8000' cabin altitude, ever reducing terms and conditions, interesting fuel policies, tech aircraft, a circadium rhythem fit for a tortured prisoner of war - but to name just a few, then maybe this is the game for you. If not my friend I would return to Engineering and have your stable lifestyle, steady income and normal life to look forward to!!!

On the up-side, it can be an intersting job if your chosen Airline has a good route structure, your work pals are a good bunch and you are able to plan your life, leave and social life VERY well.

It is your choice. I do enjoy the flying, but, In heindsight I would probably be happier if I had of stayed in Engineering.

Best of Luck:ok:

uglyduckling05
18th Feb 2011, 20:16
Hello, I appreciate that it has been a while now since my initial post however I wanted to thank you to you all for your considered, constructive and very helpful responses.

For the sake of closure, I am currently back in the engineering world and making a good shot of it. It feels like the right choice for me personally - well see how it goes.

Best of luck to you all and thanks again.
Uglyduck.