PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for someone thinking about China?

Veracity
28th Jul 2010, 19:38
Guys,

I'm new here......

Although I've been flying for DAL since 1997, I think that the future is in Asia. With that in mind, I'd like to start to get information about what opportunities there might be for someone like me.

Because I didn't want to upgrade to the MD88, all my time is in the right seat of the 727 and the 737G & 737-800.

I think I read here that Asian contract carriers are looking for left seaters only. Is this true?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Oceanic815Pilot
3rd Aug 2010, 04:57
KAL hires FO's...there is plenty of info on them on these threads - all you have to do is look. I'm flying in China as a A320 Captain and from what I've seen most of the Chinese airlines don't hire FO's. That doesn't mean there aren't any just none that I can think of. FWIW I'd rather have you in the left seat of a 737 than any of their guys......GOOD LUCK!!

typhoonpilot
3rd Aug 2010, 10:42
Get in the left seat of a B737NG or A-320. Get 500 hours PIC and then you'll be qualified for jobs in Asia.

That said, I wouldn't leave a reasonable legacy like DAL for a contract job in Asia. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I was an MD-80 captain in Asia and went back to the right seat at a legacy because the quality of life is so much better in the USA. That plus the job protections that you enjoy at a legacy can not be matched by any contract job.

If you're really intent on going to an Asian carrier then wait until you can retire early from your legacy. Maybe at age 55, but not at 46. My opinion is it would be a huge mistake to make based on what you've told us here.

Typhoonpilot

etops777
3rd Aug 2010, 14:46
Agreed with Typhoonpilot.

ratherbehunting
4th Aug 2010, 00:36
I would not go to Asia as an FO - you will be treated like crap unfortunately. However the highest paid Captain positions for narrow bodies are in China and Asia right now and I hope that trend continues.

saviboy
4th Aug 2010, 06:23
chinese companies have a huge backlog of orders. would that chnage anything in terms of FO hiring?
in other words, will they have enough Chinese national FO to cover their needs in the near future?

Fareastdriver
4th Aug 2010, 10:02
Still no chance. Even if China could not train enough FOs, which is highly unlikely, there is a language problem. Some of the older Chinese captains were flying before English was compulsory and cannot grasp it. They can only fly on domestic routes but you could not be rostered with them. For any Chinese company that comes under the 'far too difficult' heading.

clrblu22
5th Aug 2010, 04:42
Leave a perfectly good airline for Asia..? Are you nuts; the grass is NEVER greener on the other side. Please educate yourself before FULLY before you jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Oceanic815Pilot
7th Aug 2010, 11:54
Veracity,

FWIW I agree with the rest of the guys. If you really want to fly over here get the 500 PIC in type and then go for it. As a 13 year DAL FO I would personally take the upgrade that is available or coming your way soon and stick it out. Even a junior LGA/JFK based DAL Captain has a better QOL than a contract pilot in China.

ratherbehunting
8th Aug 2010, 06:22
I don't about better than JFK/LGA...having stayed in both places, I am not a huge fan of NYC and the hotels and quality of life in the area. I guess it depends on the gig in China and where you are and what you like.

You also have to add up your years left, and how many years you will be on reserve as a CA, or how much you can make as a widebody FO and decide what the cost/benefit analysis is.

Some China contracts are paying way more than the DAL contract for CA's and more days off. Less benefits of course. No tax in China either - no sales tax and the chinese tax is usually paid and if you don't work for a US contractor who 1099's you, then you can pay no US taxes.

Subways are MUCH better than NYC, albeit crowded.