PDA

View Full Version : A little career advice....

WILCO.XMG
28th Jul 2010, 17:06
I can see from just looking at a few threads below that i'm not the only youngster (21) feeling lost in the aviation industry. But i am here to beg for your elder wisdom, knowledge and guidance. Particulary those with a little knowledge of Irish Aviation and Irish Engineering Companies.

To summarise where i am, just graduated from Liverpool University with a BEng degree in Aerospace Engineering with Pilot Studies.

Now i'm trying to plan ahead to my next venture. I think at this minute i've got three avenues open to me and i'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on them.

PATH 1.

Go straight into work. I know there isnt a lot of graduate Aerospace jobs out there but sometimes you can be lucky and with percerveriance i'm sure an opening will come along - especially if you don't mind travelling or living away from home. I've been keeping an eye on these type of jobs for a while and Aer Arann and Ryanair seem to be the best at employing graduates and throwing them straight into a Technical Services desk. I myself spent last summer with an Aer Arann Technical team and i can say i don't think i want to be involved in that side of aviation. It isnt so much fun when all you do is sit in an office look at a computer and drink cups of tea.

PATH 2.

Go for an EASA Category C Aircraft Maintenance Licence. After reading through the pages upon pages of EASA's part 146 i found out a few things. "With an accrediated technical degree a Category C licence can be obtained after 5 years work experiance with a accrediated organization. In Ireland these organizations are either Dublin Aerospace (relatively new company), and Shannon Aerospace LTD (quite a lot of changes over the years i believe). I'm not so sure what a C rated engineer is or how useful a licence like that is so if anyone knew anything about it i'd be pleased to hear and have a conversation about it. Is your work experiance partially paid over these 5 years because working in those places would require to move from home and i'd need some sort of financial backing to continue - although i wouldnt expect a full wage until i completed the course and got the licence.

PATH 3.

An MSc in Management in Queens University Belfast. I've looked up this Masters programme and it seems perfect, in fact too good to be through. It's aimed at those not in a buisness/commerce/finance background ie Engineering, Law etc. It is 1 year full time taught, although i imagine the hours would be quite small - not as many as Aerospace Engineering!! Queens also say that many graduates from this degree go on to buisnesses such as Bombardier, Shorts etc. I feel this would get me straight into the Aviation field i am most interested in and most excited about, Aircraft Leasing. I don't feel a Masters in and Engineering discipline is a viable option as there are no companies in Ireland requiring employees with this level of engineering knowledge, as far as i'm aware.

Whats peoples thoughts on where i would be best headed? I realize there are already threads like this of people looking advice i'm still very interested to hear everyones opinion.

Thank you all in advance, in what is a long read,

WILCO.XMG