PDA

View Full Version : XP Emulation. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Loose rivets
28th Jul 2010, 16:04
I had assumed that One needed pro or ultimate and then downloaded an additional program before the emulation would work. Indeed, I'd done it with my Beta RC and it worked faultlessly.

However, my new Pro, threw a wobbler when I tried to do the same thing. Dashing off to the UK left me no time to resolve this.

In the meantime, Bro in the UK buys Home Premium, certain that he can download the emulation fix. I say I thought he was out of luck.

However, it does seem ambiguous. Could it mean the two higher spec W7s would be able to run it out of the box, and that you have to upgrade the cheaper version?

This would mean the Beta was different and didn't count. But explain why I had the problem when trying to modify W7 Pro with the download. ie It may simply not have needed it.

The list of ticked boxes on the sales blurb seems quite clear. W7 Home will never be able to run XP Emulation.

Which is correct?:confused:

mixture
28th Jul 2010, 16:09
See here, seems quite clear to me which one can do which :

Microsoft.com - Windows 7 compare features (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx)

Or did I miss your question ?

green granite
28th Jul 2010, 16:47
I think there may be a bit of confusion between Windows XP Mode and XP compatibility mode, the latter being available in all versions

Loose rivets
28th Jul 2010, 18:38
between Windows XP Mode and XP compatibility mode,

Ah! ..... not much else to say until I've read it up....just, Ah! And thanks.:ok: