PDA

View Full Version : B.Sc. Aviation Correspondence?

nikhilheb
28th Jul 2010, 09:57
As I took up a CPL course right after my 12th, I'm trying to make best use of the present aviation scenario and get a degree in something aviation related. Can these courses be done through correspondence? Preferably a B.Sc.

Thank you!

Sahil Verma
28th Jul 2010, 10:13
Yes...University Of petroleum and Energy Studies(UPES) located in dehradun offers such a course..

Lateral Entry - B. Sc. | CAS (http://cce.upes.ac.in/cas/aviaiton-studies-bsc-programs.html)

I don't know how valuable it is because this industry requires professional courses like AME, flight dispatcher, pilot, ATC , etc.
The price of this correspondence course is also very high( 2 lakh rupees!!!)

if a pilot is medically unfit for some reason in the future, i don't see how this course will be helpful.
i was planning to do the same but am holding off until January 2011 when they will take the next batch to think about it.

A few colleges in Mumbai also offer such a course.
it would be great if someone could shed some more light on this.

besides, the present aviation senario is offering a lot of opportunities( Indigo and Jet).The best use would be to study for them as well.

nikhilheb
28th Jul 2010, 10:42
I don't know how valuable it is because this industry requires professional courses like AME, flight dispatcher, pilot, ATC , etc.

Maybe not right now, but a few years down the line, it will be a sure advantage over undergraduates and graduates of non-aviation based subjects.

Thanks a lot for the lead anyway!

Again as I'm partly Mumbai-based, could someone suggest a similar course from an institute in Mumbai?

Thanks

piper_cherokee
28th Jul 2010, 10:47
I am enrolled in this course at UPES since July '09.Yes it's true that this course alone will not help you in future if in case you become medically unfit (i hope it never happens) . But this can surely help you in getting an admission in a MBA course like Aviation Management (offered by the same university) which will surely boost your career. The fee is surely on a higher side, but all the other colleges are charging almost the same thing. I know a college in Mumbai which charges 1.5 lacs but the course duration is 3 years, whereas its 1.5 years in UPES.You can refer to this link for more information.
Lateral Entry - B. Sc. | CAS (http://cce.upes.ac.in/CAS/aviaiton-studies-bsc-programs.html)
All The Best! :ok:

captain-planet
28th Jul 2010, 14:00
@nikhil
mumbai university offers a Bsc Aviation degree. It is a regular course althouugh attendance relaxation is given to "working pilots ".
About 5-6 colleges offer this course in Mumbai.You could still try getting admission into the 1st year (although its a little late now)..
1. IAAS Andheri IAAS (http://www.iaas.edu.in/)
2.Thakur college Kandivali East
3.Patkar college Goregaon west http://www.patkarvardecollege.edu.in/downloads/Dvac/aviation_admission.pdf
there are 2-3 more colleges bt i dont knw their names..theres one in kurla also.

Oh ,and the fees is roughly abt Rs 60000 per annum..its a 3 year course..

CP

nikhilheb
29th Jul 2010, 08:00
@capt planet

Thank you so much. The info was great.

Also, you mentioned there was relaxed attendance for "working pilots". Is there anyway to get the same relaxed attendance if your not working? anyway maybe to make them 'believe' im working?

cynicalczar2001
1st Sep 2010, 07:01
this BSC in Av degree in UPES, is it part time or full time? can it be done by correspondence?

from wat ive learnt is, that this course is just a continuation of the Diploma, or advanced diploma "CPL/ME IR/Frozen ATPL" to get the degree.......i dont quite understand why some 1 wud get their licence in a span of a year or so and then do this course to get the degree instead of doin it all together with ur licecne???
do i make sense????
do reply cz i was lukin into doin this course as well!

cobra24
1st Sep 2010, 08:07
Dibrugarh University is offering BBA(flying) through distance learning . Duration is 3 years , but can be relaxed to 2 yeard if you have a CPL . I am considering this course .... can anyone shed more light on it?

livetokill22
1st Sep 2010, 09:42
Yeah, I got myself enrolled in the dibrugarh university course, it pretty good, I got my books, all related to what we have studied before for indian exams, so it should not be a problem. just some extra books related to accounts, not too difficult tho!
The course fee is quite reasonable and you give the exams after a year, next year is a project, so virtually you are getting a degree after first year exams.

Its 2 years and then you can get into MBA where ever you want.
BBA-Flying

livetokill22
1st Sep 2010, 09:44
Bout 60,000/- for BBA-Flying dibrugarh!

cobra24
1st Sep 2010, 14:53
are you doing it directly from the university or from a private aviation institute?... there is one called griffin aviation .... and yeah the fees is around 60-70k.

livetokill22
1st Sep 2010, 17:12
Griffin aviation, in gurgaon organises the whole thing
they conduct exams and pass on all the books, they are like the face for dibrugarh university.
but in the end, you're gonna get a degree from the uni.
they just smooth down the process. and it is easy to contact em than the university in assam!

azmalzea
3rd Sep 2010, 06:47
livetokill22 -

hi, can u give me the contact details of griffin aviation gurgaon?? i m interested in the bba aviation course(dib university). can u tell me if it is only for pilots or can any undergraduate join this course... or if u have a soft copy of the course prospectus tat u can send me on [email protected], that would be great.

awaiting a quick reply from you.
thanks.

livetokill22
4th Sep 2010, 04:24
Yeah, here is the web address
http://www.griffinaviation.in/documents/CAREER%20sky%20high%20BBA%20flying%20(ad%20new).pdf

you can do it if you are not a pilot,

Cheerio

Viraaj Shah
4th Sep 2010, 08:47
God forbid, if at all we don't get into any airline, how is this course going to help? Won't you rather do B.Com or BA which might give you a better chance to get employed else where too? Just Curious, thanks :)

livetokill22
4th Sep 2010, 08:56
yeah, that to is a option, still this is easy and you get a degree fast
after that you can enrol for MBA or masters in which ever field you want.

azmalzea
4th Sep 2010, 12:43
hey livetokill22 -

thanks for ur prompt reply. griffin aviation website days the minimum eligibility for the course as a cpl or flight dispatchers license. now in india no airline if offering the course, am i still eligible for admission to the course?? please throw some light on the same.

thanks.

azmalzea
11th Sep 2010, 21:56
livetokill22 (http://www.pprune.org/members/335303-livetokill22)

Yeah, here is the web address
http://www.griffinaviation.in/docume...(ad%20new).pdf (http://www.griffinaviation.in/documents/CAREER%20sky%20high%20BBA%20flying%20(ad%20new).pdf)

you can do it if you are not a pilot,

Cheerio

They have denied me admission saying that I am not eligible for the course since I do not have a CPL. Is there anyone at griffin whom I can speak to and discuss the same?? Please reply.

Thanks.

cobra24
12th Sep 2010, 10:42
you can go in for BBA( Aviation , hospitality and tourism) , as this does not require a CPL . here is the link http://www.griffinaviation.in/documents/CAREER%20sky%20high%20BBA%20AHT%20(ad%20new).pdf

azmalzea
5th Oct 2010, 19:30
hi piper cherokee,

is this course offered by upes only for cpl holders? can a non cpl holder with theoritical knowledge of cpl ground subjects do this course??

also, is this course offered in a distance learning mode or is it full time? i have done a diploma in flight operations management with flight dispatch from the tradewings institute of management and am interested in doing this course.

thanks.

piper_cherokee
6th Oct 2010, 07:12
Hi azmalzea,

Indian CPL is mandatory for B.Sc Aviation Studies course as it is a lateral entry course and the DGCA exams and the flying training are accepted as the first 3 semesters.
You can still do BBA in Aviation Operations which is available in both Regular course and Distance Learning.Both of them do not require an Indian CPL.

All the best .:ok:

AKSHAT.KHANNA88
13th Dec 2010, 15:42
Hello livetokill22... I;ve also enrolled in BBA .... my exams r in july11 if m not wrong..... I wana know which batch r u in.. N I am goin to USA so I didt do DGCA exams as my fiance is from MEXICO-USA soo I wana know that idk what kinda exams its gonna be if u have any idea about it.. idk what to study cos i was reading those books abit but they r kinda tricky i mean if we r not gonna have theory why they r giving us books to read how we r gonna know the trend of exams.. we dnt have any sample paper or smthng either ....??? Any IdeA about it and of assignments .. PLease reaply m soo confused thanks :) tc blue skies

HAWK21M
23rd May 2011, 18:37
Any option for a BSC [Aviation] Degree part time course for Maintenance as I'm currently a licenced AME on B737/757 Airframe/Powerplant working Night shifts but was keen on working towards a Degree.

sushantmmehta
23rd May 2011, 19:40
hello
regardin the BSc lateral entry,I have a CPl.How long would the whole course duration be if i get lateral entry?
Is it going to be 1.5 years i.e. 3 sems?
what would be the cost then?2.5 lacs ?
saw their website but it is a bit confusing

tmantodarescue
27th Jul 2011, 06:07
Hey dude...I'm thinking of joining this course at CAS at UPES. How hard is the course? Are you from Mumbai? I have a bunch of questions I'd like to ask you over the phone if its ok with you.

kshiteej_wizard
28th Jul 2011, 15:26
i called up today to the UPES institute.they told that the syllabus is what we hav studied for dgca and a few more abt accounting and bussiness studies.so i guess wont b dat diff for someone whos cleared dgca papers.heres the no of wng cmdr p.k gupta speak to him directly.check ur PM. let me knw wht u spoke.i guess the admissions r taking plc now for couple more days.
happy landings!!!!

livetokill22
28th Jul 2011, 17:43
Check out BBA flying dibligarh university

beinghuman
2nd Aug 2011, 06:28
Guys, anybody pursuing BSc in Aviation, what do they actually teach you'll ? Is it only aviation topics or outside knowledge too like any other BSc courses ? For instance.. Bsc IT or other BSc's.

born4flying
2nd Aug 2011, 07:37
beinghuman,

well, the first year is basic aviation CPL level.. Second year was a little more in detail (but still easy enough to understand for someone who has cleared CPL).
Third year is quite in detail ( as in you have to read about DOCS (Regs), Grid directions (Nav), world climatology, Jet systems etc.)

But regarding your question, No. All years syllabus is related to Aviation only. No other topics are to be covered (unless you consider Electricals systems (in detail) to be out of topic, i.e. for technical subject )

I hope this clears your doubts. :ok:

beinghuman
2nd Aug 2011, 10:43
So a BSc in Aviation in non-aviation world is useless. :uhoh:

gavinv174
15th Aug 2011, 03:19
Hi. I would be doing CPL after few months. I am only 10+2 and i wish to do a degree too so that it could help me. Can i do a degree along with my CPL or after i finish it. What is Bsc aviation and if i do it after CPL how will it help me ? What jobs can one get if he has a CPL but no job and a BSc. aviation degree ?

sharon_w
26th Aug 2011, 16:08
Hi there

i was reading your reply and since i too am lookng for a college to join and do a BSc aviation course i wanted to ask you a few Q's. You have recommended UPES, university of Uttarakand and while i was looking at the university rating in india i noticed that this particular one was ranked no. 58 as compared to the university of mubai which is ranked no 8. Isnt that a crucial factor to consider before joining universities??
Yes the lateral entry 1.5 yrs duration does sound good, since i hold a CPL and can finish the course quickly. But would it be a big deal to finish from a university much lower in rank as opposed to pilots who their degree from Mumbai?

Twinotterguy
26th Aug 2011, 16:23
hi all

just want to check if university of mumbai accepts international student holding an icao CPL/frozen ATPL and can i do it through correspondence?

born4flying
27th Aug 2011, 08:11
@twinotter

I am not really sure if they do. What i can suggest is that you call them up yourself and ask them.

I am mentioning contact details of the college where I am pursuing my BSc degree.
If you call them up, tell them you need to talk to Mr Louis in regard to B.Sc. Aviation admission.

Hope this helps.

Address :
Thakur College of Science & Commerce,
Thakur Village,Kandivali (E),
Mumbai - 400 101
Tel: +91-22-28870627, +912228462565
Fax: +91222886 8822

HAWK21M
8th Jun 2012, 12:04
Has Anyone completed this course yet....Any feedback.

born4flying
9th Jun 2012, 07:29
I have buddy. just recently cleared last year

jet-lover
9th Jun 2012, 17:46
hi all,

i always wanted to study post grad in aviation field. i m professional pilot, about 3000 hrs & have bsc in engineering. my main interest is to study Aviation business management MBA. from what i read on the this thread, i think CAS at UPES seems a good choice. currently i live and work in Indonesia and i m not Indian.

i was wondering if its possible to do distance learning from Jakarta if UPES agrees to accept me for the course. i need ur advice pls. thanks !

vkrntjdhv1
18th Jun 2012, 12:57
Guys please check out this college as they are proving B.Sc in Aviation from Mumbai university ... and heard they give relaxation on attendance. Fees is also less compared to other college who provide the same.
Academy of Aviation (http://sspmaoa.com/index.html)
you can contact them on 9987072043
:D:O

vkrntjdhv1
18th Jun 2012, 13:02
@twinotter
yes, Mumbai University do accept all country CPL now.:D

fly hi
18th Jun 2012, 14:30
BSc aviation syllabus is the same what we studied in dgca.. thats is so stupid
rather do a non aviation degree..
actually we really dont have much options in the field of aviation in India
thats kinda of sad

Cactus225
5th Jul 2012, 06:34
Is this any good?

Has anybody really benefited after this course?

jay_joshi89
3rd Jan 2013, 06:33
i just heard mumbai uni started accepting CPl for all countries, i am currently holding transport canada cpl but still didnt find course duration. can any1 help me with that.

rsoman
4th Jan 2013, 14:00
I was following this thread and here is my 50 paisa worth!!!

Some of the programmes discussed here seem to be nothing more than a rehash of your CPL papers plus a few basic management modules like Finance or Accounting thrown in!!! Of course you get a degree, very important in a country like India but is it really worth it??? In addition I understand that some of these degrees will help you go in for a further course of post graduate study like Masters in Aviation from some of the very same institutions...and for that of course you have to pay another set of fees plus invest even more time

Have you considered the following alternatives?? Cranfield University is just one, an equally good one is offered by City University of London I understand and there may be a few others as well.... Expensive .. of course yes.. but believe me you get full returns for what you pay... quality of education is top class and more importantly as long as you can demonstrate your interest in the subject and your keenness of study and you have your CPL as well as work experience ... then they may waive off the graduation requirement....

Cranfield University

Executive MSc Air Transport Management (http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/postgraduatestudy/executive_atm/page38307.html)

City University
Air Transport Management | City University London (http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/air-transport-management)

The institutions in question needs no introduction to many well informed members in PPRUNE quite a few of whom have attended one or the other institution. I have no idea whether such programmes are AICTE or UGC recognised which may stand in the way of a government job but then it opens up a lot of other avenues outside India as well.

Cheers

HAWK21M
5th Oct 2013, 08:43
Anyone completed BSC Aviation in AME stream.
What are the observations like......

Also BFC states BSC Aviation AME but no details.

HAWK21M
3rd Feb 2014, 10:43
How about BBA Aviation operations from UPES.

GOTHANI
18th Sep 2015, 08:32
Hi Folks, I tried to do a certification course from UPES and paid the fess and completed the admission process, however they cancelled the course for want of required number of candidates. I dont know the validity of their course and degrees. As for the Griffin aviation academy, the link doesnt take you anywhere and is returning a "site not found" error. Are they up and running or have they gone out of business. Even a google search is not turning up their website address. Any help from any one is welcome on this.

As for other institutions, try GMR in Hyderabad. they have quite a few courses on offer.

speagle1
25th Sep 2015, 05:57
Try Glorietta Aviation Academy, Noida. They are an agency for Dibrugarh Univ who run distance BBA (Flying) courses. Lateral entry is available for CPL holders (2 years course), or else 3 years for people without a CPL. It's a lot cheaper than UPES and what the hell.....a graduation degree is a degree is a degree........It's a piece of paper whose value is equivalent to any other graduation degree. It's just a key that opens some doors (which would otherwise be shut for non graduates)