PDA

View Full Version : Wessex simulator, pilot/engineer needed!

Sam Rutherford
28th Jul 2010, 07:57
Okay, so a friend of mine who is clearly a lunatic has bought this:

Ebay item number: 180530117860 (completed listing)

He's looking for someone who can get it working (and potentially do ongoing servicing/maintenance).

So; any Wessex people out there?!

Safe flights, Sam.

I do believe he's finally found the most expensive (per useful hour) area of rotary aviation - and there's stiff competition in the sector!

widgeon
28th Jul 2010, 09:22
Based on the expected year of manufacture it probably has all the computing power of an Iphone. Be a cool thing to have in your back yard though.

Sam Rutherford
29th Jul 2010, 04:52
Iphone? You must be kidding - I think the Amstrad 64 is probably more powerful!

Safe flights, Sam.

Nigel Osborn
29th Jul 2010, 07:00
I spent many happy hours flying the RN Wessex sim but wouldn't have a clue how to fix it!!:ok:

Sam Rutherford
9th Jul 2012, 09:44
It's back on eBay!

Cheers, Sam.

paco
9th Jul 2012, 13:29
Did it have the computer with it?

Phil

Sam Rutherford
9th Jul 2012, 17:39
It has the control panel if that's what you mean. A large panel with perhaps 60 switches and buttons on it - presumably to cause all sorts of failures! No 'screen' though, or 'keyboard'.

I know very little about it, but it looks quite cool! :)

Takes up a bunch of space in our warehouse though... :eek:

paco
9th Jul 2012, 18:36
One of our students had one of those, who by coincidence is in Belgium and he was after the computer. Don't know if it's the same guy.

Phil

WASALOADIE
9th Jul 2012, 21:36
This looks exactly like the Wessex Cockpit Procedures Trainer (CPT) that we used to have at Shawbury then at Benson. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a big cabinet the size of a small wardrobe that used to house the computer and all the drivers for the various gauges etc. I doubt this could be rigged to run from a bog standard PC nowadays. The consol was about 60-80 push button switches to create failures. There were no visuals, just moving dials in response to control inputs and throttle inputs etc. HSI's, ADI's, AI's did not work, ASI's did, engine and pressure gauges did, HYD gauges etc. All the start perameters functioned as advertised and "dolls eyes" operated. Warning panel and attention getters along with fire buttons/handles worked. To call it a sim is stretching the imagination a bit, it has no dynamics, the intercom worked though.

Sam Rutherford
10th Jul 2012, 06:01
Hi, same guy selling (here in Belgium) - but in that case it doesn't have the 'computer'. The large bit you sit in (with a friend :ok:) and then the control console.

Sounds like the the CPT you describe.

Thanks for the info, he (and I) know little about it! Keep the info/comments coming please - a little slice of history if nothing else...

Cheers, Sam.

Nigel Osborn
10th Jul 2012, 08:36
If it's the one I used to fly, you land by running it on at 40 knots & on touch down there is a little squeak! Quite fun!!

Sam Rutherford
13th Jul 2012, 16:29
To clarify, the guages did respond to movements of cyclic and collective (and yaw pedals)?

Very similar to the old FRASCA then (or indeed, any modern PC based simulator) - just that you're permanently and completely IMC?

How did it make a squeak - a special speaker just for that? :ok:

It's getting lots of interest - and I just posted a few more photos of the thing.

Thanks for the help in identifying it - a piece of nostalgia if nothing else.

Fly safe, Sam.

Sam Rutherford
17th Jul 2012, 14:12
Sold!

I'm sure that the guy who bought it will be looking for people to help get it running again - feel free to email me and I'll put you in touch with him. It would be a great shame for it to end up being broken up for some of the bits...

Cheers, Sam

sam at prepare2go dot com

Sam Rutherford
23rd Nov 2012, 10:50
It's being rebuilt by a Scouts unit in/near Suffolk - if anyone can/wants to help/advise - they'd appreciate it.

Cheers, Sam.